Any Marlin fans on board?

DUBSY

I have a nice pre-safety Marlin 336 in .30-30, and an older Glenfield Marlin model 60 .22lr. Both are good guns. 

I actually prefer the model 60 to Ruger’s 10/22.

Its a a shame that Marlin is no longer a reputable brand. I would choose a Henry if I needed a new levergun. The loading system doesn’t have the cowboy cool factor of a loading gate, but it’s much more convienent to load and unload. Also it doesn’t hurt the tip of my thumb. 

Edited by Collim1

I know absolutely nothing about lever guns. Those look nice though. The 795 in the picture above is one of two i bought at Dicks a few years ago. $90 a piece. My wife and I used them at an Apple Seed shoot one weekend. I've never seen so many different looking 10/22's in one place. We were the only two non Rugers. 

I bought a distressed Marlin 70P in a pawn shop in Kentucky for $40 a couple of decades ago and it became my oldest son's favourite rimfire rifle, it is now in his gun safe. When my youngest son turned 18 I taught him the experience of filling out a 4473 by sponsoring him into a Marlin 925. Both Marins shoot well but the Papoose is an amazing gun, wickedly accurate, despite the very simple sights and trigger and small package.

Marlin70P.jpg

Marlin 925.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've never cared for the model 60 but the 39A is one of the best most durable 22 rimfire rifles ever made.  I've had parts breakages with the model 80's but that never happens with a 39A. They're made to last a lifetime and then be passed on to the next generation.  I also really liked the model 62 and 57 "Levermatics" chambered in 22 mag, 256 Winchester, and 30 carbine. A friend of mine has one in 22 mag and that is an incredible rifle. Very strong action. (originally designed as a shotgun action)  and very short lever travel. I would have liked to have seen them made in 357 and 41 magnum, and possibly even 44 mag,

I have a pre-safety 444s with a 22 inch barrel. Even with the slow twist it will stabilize 300 grain bullets. With a 300 grain bullet out of 22 or 24 inch barrel the 444 marlin can approach 405 Winchester ballistics, driving a 300 grain bullet at 2200 fps /3223 ft⋅lbs.  With 300 grain bullets it out-preforms the 45-70 but with heavier bullets, no contest but the 444 also has less recoil. Mine has the pistol grip stock. Some prefer the straight stock but I like the pistol grip in my 444.

Also, the most accurate lever action I've ever shot was a Marlin 1894 chambered in 41 magnum about 5 years ago. I had a chance to buy it but couldn't afford the $1200 dollar price that these guns command since being discontinued. The 32-20, 25-20 and .218 Bee  1894's were also great rifles. I wish Henry or even Ruger could buy out Marlin from Cerebus Capital Management and bring back some of these discontinued rifles. I also liked the 336 "Trapper" in 35 Remington,

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I also liked the 336 "Trapper" in 35 Remington,

I wish I had one of the Trapper's. A friend of mine had one but wouldn't sell it. Used to have a Winchester 94 30-30 Trapper and it was a very handy little rifle.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the 39A's, still have two of them, though have had at least 4 more that I can recall. Great guns!

I had a Model 36 in .30 WCF one time. Nice carrying rifle for deer hunting, though I never got me a critter with it!

Also have had several 60's, and a couple of 70's(?), or74's or 75's(?) with the 10 round magazines. All good shootin' .22 rifles.

First pump shotgun I ever owned was a Marlin. Forget the model number. It was a gift from my adopted Grandpa. Nice gun,

with two barrels in a leather case. Sold it foolishly when in need of cash unfortunately.

• 2 months later...