Jump to content
Presguy

Anyone else do the Taser medical trials?

Recommended Posts

For those who haven't seen it, Axon introduced the new Taser 7 last week.

Proud to say I've already been introduced to it, several times.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not LEO, but a friend was until he retired. He had his taser out one time when the perp threw something and hit the taser, twisting it vertically instead of horizontal just as he was firing.  Guess.

He said he never before or since had a more compliant and anxious to please perp in his life.  

Hawk 

PS:  It may be apocryphal, but mention a taser, and I’ll probably laugh.  

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated CS gas, and OC spray.  When given the option I carried the baton, but midway they went to the Asp.  I preferred beating the stuff out of someone rather than getting cross contaminated with OC Spray.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you find/sign up for these things? I wouldn’t mind getting tased again for a “free” taser.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 1:33 AM, Presguy said:

I don't think I've got a shareable link, but I recently got fwd'd a video where some poor schmuck who both puked and crapped himself during his certification ride. And his spotters lowered his face simultaneously into the puddle.

Just when you think it's urban legend...

Gotta be careful if you're one of the holder-up people too:

I'm sorry but she'd owe me a drink after that.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Gotta be careful if you're one of the holder-up people too:

I'm sorry but she'd owe me a drink after that....

Don't you threaten me with a good time!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NPTim said:

Only LEO for testing?

Kind of - you have to be LEO, or otherwise certified as a Taser user/instructor. Though I've mostly seen "traditional" LEOs, I've also seen several MPs/security forces, and once or twice a security guard.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rats, wouldn’t mind a couple of tasers for me and the wife.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is in the Pheonix/Scottsdale area, and is "qualified" (you have to be either LEO or otherwise Taser certified), let me know - there's another testing event coming up. I'll PM you contact details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never understood having to be stuck in a room with CS gas, because they taught us how to be riot police in the USBP Academy, and we might have to smell CS gas we propelled from a Vietnam era grenade launcher.  Then another Academy you had to get OC sprayed with like a bear dispenser just so you know what that felt like.  I don't see anyone getting Tonya Harding with an Asp, or getting shot in the ass with their service pistol to know what being shot feels like.  The logic has always eluded me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, NPTim said:

Rats, wouldn’t mind a couple of tasers for me and the wife.

Looking to add excitement to your sex life, huh.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Looking to add excitement to your sex life, huh.

🙀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moshe said:

I have never understood having to be stuck in a room with CS gas, because they taught us how to be riot police in the USBP Academy, and we might have to smell CS gas we propelled from a Vietnam era grenade launcher.  Then another Academy you had to get OC sprayed with like a bear dispenser just so you know what that felt like.  I don't see anyone getting Tonya Harding with an Asp, or getting shot in the ass with their service pistol to know what being shot feels like.  The logic has always eluded me.

Yup, in the Army it's every year or so you're supposed to go back through the CS chamber. 

For us though I think it was partially so we'd not panic in a chemical attack type situation, but also to verify our masks were working properly and give us confidence in them.

Of course, making us take off the mask then shout at the top of our lungs until they were empty so we'd inhale a big dose of CS gas was probably just their way of having fun with us in Basic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Yup, in the Army it's every year or so you're supposed to go back through the CS chamber. 

For us though I think it was partially so we'd not panic in a chemical attack type situation, but also to verify our masks were working properly and give us confidence in them.

Of course, making us take off the mask then shout at the top of our lungs until they were empty so we'd inhale a big dose of CS gas was probably just their way of having fun with us in Basic.

No gas masks, you were supposed to say your name, your class number, your class moto until that vitamin smell chocked you out.  I have wondered why it always smells like a nasty vitamin until you run out of air to breathe, and fall out.  There are some smells that imprint in your brain.  Like the smell of 556 smelling like ammonia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my group in Basic, one guy's mask wasn't working, so they let him out quickly.

We got to be in the "cold" room that was connected to the hot room for a while without a mask to get used to it a little bit.  Single building, 2 rooms connected by a door.

As for being in the "hot" room where they were cooking the stuff and made it nice and thick, 2 main observations:

The instructors were in their gear also, and the room was a little noisy, so just looking like you were sounding off was good enough, shallow breathing made it a not too terrible experience.  Didn't do anything for my sinuses, when a lot of guys were pretty well draining them walking out the door.

CS gas and pink eye don't mix, it makes for a very painful experience, take it from me.  But as I managed to walk out of the chamber with one eye open and standing upright, I think I did pretty good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CS gas is the best thing in the world to clear a head cold. Sucks for 15 minutes, but you're right as rain as soon as it clears up.

If they sold it at Walgreens, I'd buy it to keep around for congestion.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, Presguy said:

CS gas is the best thing in the world to clear a head cold. Sucks for 15 minutes, but you're right as rain as soon as it clears up.

If they sold it at Walgreens, I'd buy it to keep around for congestion.

Hmmm, I find it chokes you out, but you are right, snot everywhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 11, 2018 at 11:24 PM, crockett said:

What the heck is a Taser medical trial?

 Watch the DVD "killing them softly" . Because of a few misuses of the tazer, and rarely they have died. (In some way related to ride). Being overweight, out of shape, fighting by person who picking up beer is exercise....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 9:01 PM, larry_minn said:

 Watch the DVD "killing them softly" . Because of a few misuses of the tazer, and rarely they have died. (In some way related to ride). Being overweight, out of shape, fighting by person who picking up beer is exercise....

Oof... I can't stand that video. I'm the first to admit that Taser's aren't perfect devices - they have operational drawbacks, and those carrying them often aren't trained in how to best implement them (or not) into a conflict.

That said, that video is emotional-appeal claptrap and totally disregards literally decades and thousand of pages of scientific research which soundly refutes nearly every point try to mak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...