Ultrasonic Cleaner and the barrel

Wheeljack

Reading the messages about cleaning brass and ultrasonic cleaners, got me wondering if you can clean a barrel in the ultrasonic cleaner.   Now I know you can clean a barrel, BUT, does the cleaner remove lead and carbon?  I don't get lead much with my coated bullets, but I do get a little carbon near the end of the barrel that is hard to remove.  Tried a lot of oils and lubes and then I wrap some Bronze wool around a copper brush and work it until my arm almost falls off.  I can see the carbon and can scratch some of it off with a small screw driver and then start working the brush again.  Someone suggested putting the brush in a drill for faster removal.  I haven't tried the sonic cleaner yet and was wondering if anyone else ever tried it.  

They won't remove serious accumulations of lead. For that I would get:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Regarding carbon, it depends on a few factors. If you would buy a commercial grade UltraSonic cleaner like the XPS240-4L from Sharpertek, as well as their ULTRASONIC GUN CLEANING SOLUTION SC20-G, it usually works very well.

https://www.sharpertek.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-sh180-4l.html

https://www.sharpertek.com/ulgunclsoco.html

If you would use your average made in China consumer grade UltraSonic cleaner with some random cleaning solution or none at all, it often doesn't work properly. 

I’m a chicken so I haven’t put any gun parts in the little Hornady unit. I watched a bunch of reviews and a bunch of videos where others have. It seems like it’s hit or miss on results. I think they can clean well, but you are removing all oils so that worries me. At least when I see guys dump an entire J frame in the tank fully assembled sand grips. 

I shoot mostly .45 ACP and mostly lead. I have had luck with good cleaning and JB bore paste. They make different grades, like compound, polish  and glaze for your cars finish. 

I keep meaning to try it on the forcing comes in my 586, after all these years it’s got some carbon build up. But honestly I am lazy and old which makes it easy to forget. 

Well it's not going to be a Sharpertek ultrasonic, out of my price range, but the JB paste and the Brownells brass patches seem like they would make a good match to try. 

The cheaper ultrasonic cleaner works for me in cleaning my pickup shells.   If I decide to use it to clean hard to get to gun parts, the parts would have to be oiled afterward.  After applying the oil, I would wipe it down and blow excess oil out of hard to get to places with compressed air.

I can't seem to let well enough alone.

Thanks 

• Like 1

I just use vinegar and a gallon jug. Put them in there and let them sit for a while. Rinse them off and 995 of the carbon is gone. I only clean really dirty ones that have carbon on outside. It does a fair job inside also. Other than that I don't see the need to make them pretty. 

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.