Any Vietnam or Era veterans on here?

Ramjet38

'69-'73 USAF Never in country. Spent 18 mo working the Operational Relay, Kadena AB Okinawa which was at that time under US control. Rest of time was in the States, last 18 mo. at F E Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyoming.........that was cold! 

• Like 5

On 7/4/2018 at 8:36 PM, Borg warner said:

69-73 USAF I had orders for Tan Son Nhut AFB in 1970 but those orders were cancelled and they sent me Alaska remote for a year instead. They changed them at the last minute after I got all my overseas shots.

At least the medics got to practice giving you all those shots:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2018 at 8:51 PM, Citra47 said:

At least the medics got to practice giving you all those shots:D

Funny story time. When I got to my first base as a new LT, I was the Fuels Officer in the POL section.  Soon after I got there, I got the Shot Record Card from the Base hospital with a request to go down and get a bunch of shots.

I was bemoaning that fact in the office one morning and my QC MSGT heard me. Sgt. Snodgrass said " No problem, LT. Give me your Record Card. " I did and when I got back from lunch, it was sitting on my desk.  It looked like I had had ever shot the AF could think up, all duly noted by the signature and stamp of some doctor at the hospital.

Ahhh, another bullet dodged.

Until I got orders to SEA three years later.  After hearing about all the nasty diseases there, I took my card into the hospital and said " I need all the shots on this card ".  The clerk looked at it and said, " No Sir, you are all current for SEA." I said, " No, I need ALL the shots on this card."

I think he understood the situation and said " OK, I understand; be right with you "

The gamma globulin was the worst.

• Like 6

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, willie-pete said:

Funny story time. When I got to my first base as a new LT, I was the Fuels Officer in the POL section.  Soon after I got there, I got the Shot Record Card from the Base hospital with a request to go down and get a bunch of shots.

I was bemoaning that fact in the office one morning and my QC MSGT heard me. Sgt. Snodgrass said " No problem, LT. Give me your Record Card. " I did and when I got back from lunch, it was sitting on my desk.  It looked like I had had ever shot the AF could think up, all duly noted by the signature and stamp of some doctor at the hospital.

Until I got orders to SEA three years later.  After hearing about all the nasty diseases there, I took my card into the hospital and said " I need all the shots on this card ".  The clerk looked at it and said, " No Sir, you are all current for SEA." I said, " No, I need ALL the shots on this card."

I think he understood the situation and said " OK, I understand; be right with you "

Was that the one that didn't hurt until about 30 seconds after you got the shot, and then it hurt like a Mo-fo?

• Like 4

On 7/5/2018 at 6:34 PM, Citra47 said:

'69-'73 USAF Never in country. Spent 18 mo working the Operational Relay, Kadena AB Okinawa which was at that time under US control. Rest of time was in the States, last 18 mo. at F E Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyoming.........that was cold! 

Ah come on now, I live in Laramie, 1,200 feet higher in elevation; it gets a bit brisk at times and the wind blows a little but it ain't bad.

1972 was in AFROTC first year and a half at college, didn't like the AF and was talking to Marine Corps PLC about changing when I came down with Mono and strep throat and was sicker than hell and took incompletes for the semester and too sick to start the next. Well you have to have successfully completed the previous semester to get into the PLC program so I didn't qualify; I was friends with the local USMC recruiter and he said an officer really aught to see the Corps from the bottom up first, so I enlisted in the reserves.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F350 said:

Ah come on now, I live in Laramie, 1,200 feet higher in elevation; it gets a bit brisk at times and the wind blows a little but it ain't bad.

1972 was in AFROTC first year and a half at college, didn't like the AF and was talking to Marine Corps PLC about changing when I came down with Mono and strep throat and was sicker than hell and took incompletes for the semester and too sick to start the next. Well you have to have successfully completed the previous semester to get into the PLC program so I didn't qualify; I was friends with the local USMC recruiter and he said an officer really aught to see the Corps from the bottom up first, so I enlisted in the reserves.

Yea, but you probably stay inside your nice, warm, toasty cabin on cold days. Cheyenne was the only place I have seen people playing golf in 2 1/2' to 3' of powdered snow wearing heavy parkas. Painted their golf balls iridescent colors so they could find them. Would you believe I turned down an assignment in Anchorage, Alaska because I foolishly thought Cheyenne would be warmer. What did I know? Dumb boy from South Texas.   

• Like 3

On 7/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, willie-pete said:

You're right about that gamma GLOB shot.  My gawd that hurt!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

You're right about that gamma GLOB shot.  My gawd that hurt!

I never knew what it was until now.  They didn't tell me or even warn me that it was going to hurt.  But years ago I was working for a general contactor and we were dealing with raw sewage extending a leach field and I was up to my knees in **** for a couple of days and the boss mentioned that it might be a good idea to get a Gamma Globulin shot in case I had any cuts anywhere but I never developed any cuts so I never got the shot.  But If I had, then I would have known what a gamma globulin shot was.

• Like 3

I'm not old enough to have been in Viet Nam, but I sailed aboard Ranger twice, both times for CQ dets, walking aboard as a JO not yet trained to fly aboard, once stashed with VF-1 and once as a RAG student with VF-124. She was a great ship in 1991 and 1992. My favorite memory was hooking my new Sega Genesis to the Ready Room bungavision, triggering epic, all-night John Madden football tournaments amongst the JOPA.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 10:10 PM, Citra47 said:

Yea, but you probably stay inside your nice, warm, toasty cabin on cold days. Cheyenne was the only place I have seen people playing golf in 2 1/2' to 3' of powdered snow wearing heavy parkas. Painted their golf balls iridescent colors so they could find them. Would you believe I turned down an assignment in Anchorage, Alaska because I foolishly thought Cheyenne would be warmer. What did I know? Dumb boy from South Texas.   

NEGITIVE GHOSTRIDER!!! That is when the ice fishing is at it's best (you don't know what fun is till you sit on a block of ice in -5* temps with a stiff wind for a few hours) and the cold and snow drive the elk out of the high country into the valleys where a fat old man can get at them. Never did get the point of golf.

• Like 3