What branch did you serve in

US Army 1963-1965.  Stationed seventeen months in Northern Italy.  Our site stored and maintained nuclear warheads.  MOS as a cryptographer, ended up as the mail clerk for our site.  Went home as Spec 4.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frizzen,

I don't think I'm wrong.  But I think you and my dad were on the same ship same time.  Dad's first Med. ship was the Des Moines and then Springfield.   Same time.  He eventually married a French girl from a little village just outside of Nice, France.

• Thanks 1

Active duty 1986-92 USMC spent 1st year after boot and school split between Okinawa Japan and Mt Fuji mainland Japan, most of the rest of the time spent with 1st BN 11th Marines but skated my last 9 months after the Gulf War as a Combat Water Survival instructor at the 43 Area training tank, Camp Pendleton CA.  We did train the whole regiment in water survival and some outside units as well, but that was some beautiful TAD!  Might of stayed in if I could have made a MOS change and did water survival training for the rest of my career! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

USMC infantry

20 years, 2 months, 10 days

1974 - 1995

The best thing about being a Marine is that you never stop being a Marine... the oath we took to support and defend the Constitution has no expiration date. I'm fairly certain that many of my brother and sister soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Coast Guardsmen would agree.

Semper Fidelis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Active Air Force 24 years, 3 months, 5 days, 11.5 hours and some few minutes Crew Chief (431X1) on F-104 (Homestead, FL), F-4D (Udorn Thailand), T-37 (Craig AL), F-4E (Bitburg FRG), FB-111A / KC-135A/Q (Pease NH and Plattsburgh NY), F-15C/D (Kadena Okinawa)

edit -- forgot F-4E (Osan Korea) Happy Kimchi

Edited by Tinyman
Forgot Osan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Tinyman said:

Active Air Force 24 years, 3 months, 5 days, 11.5 hours and some few minutes Crew Chief (431X1) on F-104 (Homestead, FL), F-4D (Udorn Thailand), T-37 (Craig AL), F-4E (Bitburg FRG), FB-111A / KC-135A/Q (Pease NH and Plattsburgh NY), F-15C/D (Kadena Okinawa)

The FB-111 is one of my all-time favorite aircraft. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 5:25 PM, Batesmotel said:

God Bless all Corpsman.

A fast thinking Corpsman is the only reason I still have full (or real close to full) use of my right knee. 

Ours put my face back together on the mess hall tables of the ship.  36 stitches.

Great people!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Uncle Sam's Navy, 1987-2007

1987-95 Surface SONARman - STG

1995-2007 Submarine SONARman - STS

1987-89 USS SCHOFIELD FFG-3, San Diego, CA - 1 WESTPAC

1989-92 USS WS SIMS FF-1059, Mayport, FL - much time in the Caribbean & Gulf of Mexico for drug interdiction ops and other shenanigans.

1992-93 USS JACK WILLIAMS FFG-24, Mayport, FL - 1 MED Cruise

1993-95 Naval Brig NAS Jacksonville

1995-2000 USS KENTUCKY SSBN-737 Blue Crew

2000-2003 SONAR Trainers, Naval Submarine School, Groton, CT.

2003-2007 USS NEVADA SSBN-733 Gold Crew

Me holding the slings, with the "I'm so thrilled to be here" look, circa 1987.

3b893f6c0467336b5d818e69d4363f85.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

9 years THW reserve. It's a federal civil protection agency for technical relief. Basically the big brother of the Red Cross.

FGr WP (B) division, most deployments had been flooding related. Pumping water out of the streets and out of flooded buildings.

Does that count? :)

DGJzPbDXUAApgWk.jpg

• Like 2

ANG/USAF/AFRES 78-99. 

Weapons System Technician (Bomb Loader) :nsb: A-7 and F-16

Flight Engineer C-141

I retired as a TSgt. Which is 4 more stripes than anyone who knew me ever thought I'd get. :crylikeender:

When people have thanked me for my service. I've told them I would do it all again. :sunnies:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never even got the chance to make a decision.  I was in Japan in 1969, graduating 12th grade.  Was having some eye "problems"...Like I couldn't fuckins hardly See out of one eye...(It got better), but...I was diagonsed  with Keratoconus. And Classified 4F.  "Un Fit" for Military Service.  I still feel the Anger.  "There's not a God Damn THING wrong with me!!!':angryfire:

Took me a few years to get over that...I was gonna try to be a Marine...

Anyway...I'll stop...I'm gettin pissed remembering.  THATS "Part" of the reason...I'll stop...

• Like 2

USNR two year active duty on Minesweeper (MSO) as radioman.  I maintained all my own equipment.  Amateur Radio for 5 years prior to service.  Nevery went to Boot Camp.

I would recommend active service to anyone!  I saw all the countries I read about in ancient Greek literature when in grade school.  Trip of a lifetime!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1