Carrying in school zones

limeylad

We are on our way back home (to Florida)  from vacation in Utah.  As far as I could tell,  in Utah,  CCW in schools is okay, but church posted gun-free zones have the force of law.  In Florida it's the opposite. 

Edited by coqui33

From your link, section (ii) says this is an exception:

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

A good reason to obtain a license even in a Constitutional Carry state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have to check with the state you reside in. This Federal law is written with a a provision to allow states/local governments to override the requirements. Some states allow licensed carry conceal holders to carry on school grounds, others allow you to carry on school grounds and in buildings. So, know your local/state laws concerning this bill.

In Illinois, the 1,000 feet rule has been tossed in courts and the FCCL allows you to carry within the 1,000 feet. It does not allow you to carry in school buildings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BMyers said:

You have to check with the state you reside in. This Federal law is written with a a provision to allow states/local governments to override the requirements. Some states allow licensed carry conceal holders to carry on school grounds, others allow you to carry on school grounds and in buildings. So, know your local/state laws concerning this bill.

In Illinois, the 1,000 feet rule has been tossed in courts and the FCCL allows you to carry within the 1,000 feet. It does not allow you to carry in school buildings.

Concur with the above.  I live in Virginia and "school property" is off limits for CCW.  State laws vary greatly from one to another.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, BMyers said:

I went to the U of MN to visit with my Grand Daughter.  Before I went, I looked up my state law on CCW on the University property. 

I was pleasantly surprised that as a legal CCW permit carrier, I could carry on the school grounds.  However, students and any employee of the University was prohibited.

As said above:  Check your state laws.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I lived about 2 blocks form a catholic school, and I open carried as I walked by it, but I generally waited until school was out. The law is garbage, and it is a legacy of President Clinton and his yard apes.  If you ever get arrested, challenge the law, and you will win; it is unenforceable.

Edited by Suspect Unknown

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Depends on your state.  Here, I can be on school property in my vehicle carrying concealed, but if I get out of the vehicle, the gun cannot come along.

In my state it also depends on what school.  U of M if not a student or employee but with a valid CCW permit, no problem.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, Suspect Unknown said:

I lived about 2 blocks form a catholic school, and I open carried as I walked by it, but I generally waited until school was out. The law is garbage, and it is a legacy of President Clinton and his yard apes.  If you ever get arrested, challenge the law, and you will win; it is unenforceable.

One of my goals in life is not to become case law.  Can be quite expensive and outcome not certain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

In my state it also depends on what school.  U of M if not a student or employee but with a valid CCW permit, no problem.

Yeah, my husband works at MSU. It drives him nuts that he can't carry there, but I can when I stop by for lunch with him!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:06 PM, ChuckUles said:

One of my goals in life is not to become case law.  Can be quite expensive and outcome not certain.

I have set case law using trial by jury, and if I need to do it again I will. One needs courage to do certain things, and if you have found that you don't have it, OK.

Edited by Suspect Unknown

On 5/24/2019 at 7:19 PM, janice6 said:

Texas Universities allow CCW.  However, CCW age is 21.  I guess I will have 8 years of making sure my little girl is okay, before she can get her CHL of her own.  Then she and her G-19, XD .45 mod 2 can take care of herself.  

• Like 1