Questions regarding the MCSE and CCNA/E

Gun Shark

I'm still studying for my A+ cert, but I am game planning my future certifications. I was looking at the MCSE and thinking that I could never just read a book and take the test as I have for the most part been a tactile learner.

Would subscribing to MSDN( or whatever it is called now) for a year and buying a decent server tower be a better way to learn about them? I have pretty much 0.1 experience with windows server and the enterprise solutions related items. All my experience is limited to Office 365, and even then it's limited.

Regarding the Cisco certifications:

I would probably replace my Unifi stuff with Cisco stuff. If I went with whatever Cisco product(s) that would be right for my ISP rated speed and network, would it hamper me in anyway? Specifically I usually buy really good stuff(buy once cry once) and tend to get more than I need to future proof myself a bit. Would that be a better way to go, vs getting older stuff and practicing? The price of the equipment is a factor, but it's not really a limiting one(obviously within reason). The goal is learning and getting the certification.

I also hear really good things about Dell Sonic Wall's being better to, or more cost effective than Cisco products. If I got the Sonic Wall, would I be doing myself a disservice in not spending the extra dough for the Cisco equipment? Or is high end networking equipment all pretty much the same and I can go with whatever and get the same quality hands on experience?

Where I work the majority of IT people are required to have Sec+. A few have gotten their CISSP's and I work with someone now who recently got their CCNA "because they were bored". Next week I'll make a point to ask what was most helpful during that cert study. When I did Sec+ (I'm currently enrolled in their Continuing Education) it was all book study. Brutal yes but that's all you can do for Sec+ and the same for CISSP.

For hands on stuff I believe Cisco offers a virtualized suite of simulators for network building (or did at one point anyway). Sorry I know nothing of MCSE as that's not a cert we're required to have.