How 'bout some Randall Made Knives

Rick Bowles

I know there must be some Randall enthusiasts in here, let's see those knives! I've been an authorized Randall dealer for 35 years as well as Randall's scrimshander. I'll get this started with a Model #17 Astro. This model was originally designed for the Mercury 7 astronauts and was the first knife in space. This "Astro" is shown with a very rare Randall paperweight commemorating CMDR Alan Shepard's first flight into space on May 5, 1961. Let's see some more Randall knives!

forum 17.jpg

• Like 6

My father knew Bo Randall and I remember going to his shop back in the 70's when I was a kid. We only lived 30 minutes away so we would go there several times a year and on one of the trips Mr. Randall took me in the back and explained the various steps he went through to make a knife. Talk about exciting, I was absolutely mesmerized by what I saw. My father ended up purchasing 3 Randall knives over the years and my favorite was the military combat knife. When my father passed away he had a rather large collection of knives and firearms and passed them on to me and my brother. At the time my brother was not into firearms but he absolutely loved knives so he got all the knives including the 3 Randall knives and I got all the firearms. I wish I had taken so photos of them so that I could post them here. The next time I visit my brother I will have to do that. 

• Like 1

Randall fan here. I only own one (buried in the back of my safe right now) that was a gift from a close friend a few years ago- a No 14 Border Patrol. I take it out and ogle it sometimes and admire the craftsmanship. One of these days I’ll get a picture up and hopefully acquire another Randall or two. 

My first one ships on or around the 22nd of this month. Problem is I'm 1300 miles from home so my wife will see it long before me. I have 4 others ordered but it'll be a few years before I see them.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/2/2018 at 9:18 AM, Rick Bowles said:

I know there must be some Randall enthusiasts in here, let's see those knives! I've been an authorized Randall dealer for 35 years as well as Randall's scrimshander. I'll get this started with a Model #17 Astro. This model was originally designed for the Mercury 7 astronauts and was the first knife in space. This "Astro" is shown with a very rare Randall paperweight commemorating CMDR Alan Shepard's first flight into space on May 5, 1961. Let's see some more Randall knives!

forum 17.jpg

So I'm a space nut...and a Randall nut.

You mean to say that Alan Shepard carried that knife?

(mind blown) DANG!

My 8" #1 Fighting Knife. It was refurbed by Gary Randall in the early 90's, if I remember correctly. It was a gift to me. Note the RH Stag handle. While I'd asked about having the handle replaced with micarta when it was being refurbed, Gary called me and said he recommended I leave the Stag handle intact, as it was every bit as strong as any micarta handle material, and was a type of Stag material they couldn't get anymore. He said he just had to fill in the 2 nerve holes in the butt of the handle that had opened up over the years, and then reseal the handle. I got the impression he didn't think it wise to alter the knife from how it had been made by his father, and I certainly wasn't inclined to go against his recommendation. The sheath was replaced with a new one he said was made by a retired state trooper who made sheaths for them. His refinishing of the blade was absolutely outstanding.

Randall-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:03 PM, fastbolt said:

. His refinishing of the blade was absolutely outstanding.

There is just something wonderful about the quality of their work.  There are a lot of great custom knife makers around these days.    Some of them very good. 

But a Randall...is a Randall.

Your #1 looks amazing.  Every bit the work of art it is.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If memory serves, which I don't guarantee at my age, my dad bought three Randalls at one time.  One for himself, one for me, and one for my brother.  I left mine at home when I left for college, but Mom gave me all of Dad's knives last weekend, so I got it back, along with his.  I presume (without knowing) that my brother still has his.

367908402_RANDALLS001.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

If memory serves, which I don't guarantee at my age, my dad bought three Randalls at one time.  One for himself, one for me, and one for my brother.  I left mine at home when I left for college, but Mom gave me all of Dad's knives last weekend, so I got it back, along with his.  I presume (without knowing) that my brother still has his.

367908402_RANDALLS001.jpg

I was given a Randall by a friend of mine for helping him out in his time of need. It has been used. Doesn't look as nice as your two.

• Like 2

Over the years I’ve picked up a few Randalls at gun shows simply because I admire their history, their quality and their beauty. I bought Randalls knowing they wouldn’t be carried or used. I consider them to be more like art objects than tools. 

FD1AB51B-4CB4-4529-A60C-ED7F6800F5F2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The popularity of Randall’s No. 1 ‘All Purpose Fighter’ in WWII helped the company  grow into a thriving business.

• 1941 - 1944

The US enters WWII and Randall Knives gets into the combat knife business in grand fashion. The Model 1 "All Purpose Fighter", Model 2 "Fighting Stiletto", and a modified Model 3 "Hunter" are developed and adopted by many proud troops.

8B42A82E-935A-4F85-97A5-51ABF5659139.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SwampDude said:

Over the years I’ve picked up a few Randalls at gun shows simply because I admire their history, their quality and their beauty. I bought Randalls knowing they wouldn’t be carried or used. I consider them to be more like art objects than tools. 

FD1AB51B-4CB4-4529-A60C-ED7F6800F5F2.jpeg

They’re both objet d’art and tool. Just because something is well made and aesthetically pleasing doesn’t mean that it can’t be used as a functional tool as well. 

Im not going to take my Randall knives to the boonies because I have other knives that I can use for the same purpose.  However if SHTF and the first blade that I can grab is one of my Randalls then I know for sure that it can perform the task it was made for with aplomb.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Walt Longmire said:

I was given a Randall by a friend of mine for helping him out in his time of need. It has been used. Doesn't look as nice as your two.

At the very least, the smaller one of mine is likely to become a 'user' knife.  From the looks of things, 15-year-old me already used it and perhaps tried to sharpen it.  Got some scratches on the blade and a little corrosion of some sort.  Not that I really know what I'll use it for, mind you.  It's not like I don't have other knives for just about any reasonably conceivable purpose . . . . 

I’d consider sending your Randall that shows wear back to their shop to be ‘refreshed’. I don’t have any idea how much it might cost, but some things are worth preservation because of personal reasons…like family history.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, SwampDude said:

I’d consider sending your Randall that shows wear back to their shop to be ‘refreshed’. I don’t have any idea how much it might cost, but some things are worth preservation because of personal reasons…like family history.

That's not a bad idea at all.  I might do that.