Ticks

BMyers

It is that time of year and two weekends ago was outside and two different people with me ended up with ticks (one on him, the other on his range bag).

I checked and found none on me, but I also had treated my bag, cart, boots, and pants with tick repellent. It is supposed to last for 1-2 months. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP649-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1530520679&sr=1-4&keywords=permethrin+spray

PS-I seen it at Walmart the other day, so you may be able to pick it locally. 

• Like 2

being outide 80% of life ive had rocky mountain spotted fever more then once , then i had lyme titers in my blood which i had caught quickly  ,  then you get 3 weeks of doxy   to take.  ticks i hate more then anything 

and i attract them lol , but whenever i pull a tick off and things start looking  not so right im at doc drawing blood .  it is nothing to play around with , 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I have a friend that wound of with permanent neurological damage from the misdiagnosis of his lyme disease.  If bitten by a tick check the area frequently and for a long time for the signs.  It's waaaay serious.

I’ve been on 2400mg per day of gabapentin for the last 12 years, thanks to a flippin’ tick bite.

Untreated Lyme disease is an absolute delight.?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jame said:

I’ve been on 2400mg per day of gabapentin for the last 12 years, thanks to a flippin’ tick bite.

I'm so sorry to hear that.  How long were you infected before diagnosis?

53 minutes ago, jame said:

Agreed. I love gaba. I'm on that, soma, tramadol, and tylenol 3 for pain caused by the lyme inducing chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. May you have more good days then bad days Jame.

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

I'm so sorry to hear that.  How long were you infected before diagnosis?

I was bitten in 2005.  The problem here is that  MD’s wouldn’t recognize Lyme as a viable infection back then, based on their assumption that only deer ticks carried the bacteria, and of course they were wrong.  Nonetheless, since they were so damned certain that I couldn’t have Lyme disease, I couldn’t have doxycycline, which I desperately needed.

Most frustrating was that the Iowa State University vet clinic, 8 miles away, was treating dogs, horses, and cattle at that time.  

How do I know?  My wife worked (and still does) at that clinic, and even helped administer treatments there.

So, to answer your question, it took me 9 months to find a doctor that would treat me.  Long enough for me to lose 35 pounds (I started at 165), and develop a wasp like sting all over my skin, as well as a palsy that are both controlled by the gabapentin.  Tramadol helps with the arthritis that developed, but I try to keep that to a minimum.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, m2hmghb said:

Agreed. I love gaba. I'm on that, soma, tramadol, and tylenol 3 for pain caused by the lyme inducing chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. May you have more good days then bad days Jame.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you and I kicked around stories over at the old place.  

If I remember correctly, you suffer far and away more than I do.

I wish you more good days than bad.  (Or, sometimes it’s more not bad days than bad days)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a horror story for you.  About 15 years ago when I was living in Georgia one of my techs (and close friend) asked to seem me.  He's also 6'2" Marine.  He tells me that all he can think about is killing everyone in the building and then himself.  Then he takes out his 1911, lays it on my desk, and ask me to take it.  After unpuckering and unloading I called my doctor.  He asks if I can bring him in right away.  My friend gives his house keys to another tech (and friend) and asks him to clear out all of his firearms while we are gone.  I get my friend to the doctor and he takes lots of blood and checks him into the hospital.  It is determined that he has lyme disease.  But for over 2 years his doctor had been treating it like depression.  Didn't even bother doing any testing.  Just started writing prescriptions.  When the antidepressants stopped working he just upped the dosage.  Did this several times.  End result was a long withdrawal from the unnecessary antidepressants and permanent major neurological issues.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, Boogieman said:

Here's a horror story for you.  About 15 years ago when I was living in Georgia one of my techs (and close friend) asked to seem me.  He's also 6'2" Marine.  He tells me that all he can think about is killing everyone in the building and then himself.  Then he takes out his 1911, lays it on my desk, and ask me to take it.  After unpuckering and unloading I called my doctor.  He asks if I can bring him in right away.  My friend gives his house keys to another tech (and friend) and asks him to clear out all of his firearms while we are gone.  I get my friend to the doctor and he takes lots of blood and checks him into the hospital.  It is determined that he has lyme disease.  But for over 2 years his doctor had been treating it like depression.  Didn't even bother doing any testing.  Just started writing prescriptions.  When the antidepressants stopped working he just upped the dosage.  Did this several times.  End result was a long withdrawal from the unnecessary antidepressants and permanent major neurological issues.

I was within weeks of going down the road of treatment for depression, and after 9 months, I gotta tell you that my mind was in a deep hole, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't claw my way out.

One night, I woke suddenly in a pain I can only describe as my brain on fire.  I immediately reached over to my nightstand and grabbed my .357, and stuck the barrel in my mouth.  My wife was startled awake, and I just as suddenly came to my senses.

The next day, we installed a gun safe in the bedroom that had a dial combination lock, with no electronic key entry.  That way, I couldn't "feel" it open.  I had to actually turn on the bedroom lights to see the dial to open it, which would wake my wife, were I to make any ill advised decisions again.

It was within just a few weeks after that, that I started receiving real treatment for lyme disease instead of depression.

Edited by jame

7 minutes ago, jame said:

I was within weeks of going down the road of treatment for depression, and after 9 months, I gotta tell you that my mind was in a deep hole, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't claw my way out.

One night, I woke suddenly in a pain I can only describe as my brain on fire.  I immediately reached over to my nightstand and grabbed my .357, and stuck the barrel in my mouth.  My wife was startled awake, and I just as suddenly came to my senses.

The next day, we installed a gun safe in the bedroom that had a dial combination lock, with no electronic key entry.  That way, I couldn't "feel" it open.  I had to actually turn on the bedroom lights to see the dial to open it, which would wake my wife, were I to make any ill advised decisions again.

It was within just a few weeks after that, that I started receiving real treatment for lyme disease instead of depression.

I'm so sorry you went through that.  Singer Avril Lavigne went through something similar.  The doctors didn't believe her and kept trying to treat her for depression.  I keep hearing the same story time and time again.  Thankfully lyme disease is getting proper attention.  Three years ago when I was hospitalized with a neurological issue as soon as I told them I had lived in Georgia 13 years earlier the doctor ordered a test for the disease.