have transfer fees gone up in your area

DUBSY

No. Too many gun shops in my town to jack up the transfer fees. That’s practically free money for a gun shop. Just a few mins of time.

Never seen a local store charge more than $25. I paid $15 for the last transfer I did. It’s a shop I do a lot of business with, so they typically cut me a deal on transfers. 

8 hours ago, Collim1 said:

No. Too many gun shops in my town to jack up the transfer fees. That’s practically free money for a gun shop. Just a few mins of time.

Never seen a local store charge more than $25. I paid $15 for the last transfer I did. It’s a shop I do a lot of business with, so they typically cut me a deal on transfers. 

Same here (Dallas), Mike's Gun Room in Richardson. He charges 20.00 per transfer and multiple guns can be done on that 20.00 transfer.

$25 is standard in my area, although the place I go most often charges $15 + shipping cost to send a gun out (and they pack it up) and $10 to receive a gun. There is one counter top FFL in town that does not charge first responders any transfer fees, but he works a lot and so it maybe 3-4 days after it arrives before your gun is in hand. I would rather pay $10.

15 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Brownells has a decent selector for FFLs, and some of them list what their transfer fee is on the site

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ffllocator/locator.aspx#

wow thanks for that! I found 2 dealers that have reasonable fees and will be sure to give them my business. Now to find a Gen 4 G29

Edited by Duc748s
  • Like 1

A friend of mine is an FFL and he only charges $25 but others around the area are astronamical, sometimes as high as $75. Another dealer that I seldom dealt with would charge 10% of what you paid for the gun (ex: if you won an auction for $2000 your transfer fee was $200). 

I used a pawn shop for around $25. The gun store affiliated with the indoor range I use and belong to charged a bit above $25 and charged me tax!!! First (and last...) time I use them. Owner jacks prices up on everything.

Surprisingly, no.  There is one FFL left in my entire county and he still charges $15 for a transfer.  But he is building an addition onto his house and expanding his gun business.  He's also a full time deputy.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:15 PM, Valmet said:

A friend of mine is an FFL and he only charges $25 but others around the area are astronamical, sometimes as high as $75. Another dealer that I seldom dealt with would charge 10% of what you paid for the gun (ex: if you won an auction for $2000 your transfer fee was $200). 

Dang, $50 don't sound so bad now.

The guy that use to do transfers for me stopped doing it a couple years ago. Something about rules changing and a lot more work had to be done on his end. 

$25 is the cheapest now. Use to do $10 and $20. Most charging $30-$60