Prairie Dog shoots

norton

54 minutes ago, jmax said:

When I lived in CO used to go to the prairie grasslands East of Ft Collins to shoot the darlings. They got poisoned out so I tried the grasslands near  Casper WY with some friends and in two days seriously degraded the throat on my 700 BDL with hundreds of clean shots. Had a 223 and 22 LR for backup and had to leave with no ammo and great memories. Had to go back into Casper to a local grocery store to buy powder, primers, bullets and steak after the first day to reload that night. My shooting partners had presses setup for neck sizing so I was able to stay in the game. If you ever get to go you cannot have enough ammo or rifles. ?

Yes my home range was Casper and Natrona County. Were you south of town on the Mystery Bridge Road? There were hundreds of acres of P'dogs out there. That is great shooting. My favorite has long been the .220 Swift, .25-06 and the  .223.  In the past year I have been shooting the .224 Valkyre on an AR-15 platform. 

The Shirley Basin Desert was top P'dog shooting for years. The spread of the Canine Distemper has hurt population every where since 1995. The disease has killed off all manner of rodents. It is now a matter of grinding farther out way past the roads. I expect you went to Sisco's Drug store for reloading supplies.  They also had groceries.  

The Big sport these days is the long range target rifles. Shooting  1,000 yards to 1 mile is very popular. 

We went to Shirley Basin and I believe that it was Sisco's for reloading supplies. If I ever get to go again I will gave a press to reload ammo plus a trailer with more ammo. I was there probably 25-30 years ago so I am sure that a lot has changed. My main rifle was a 22-250 Rem 700 with a Hart Factory barrel backed by a Howa 223 and 22LR. Great challenges in shooting and you really learn to dope the wind up there. Great memories though

Edited by jmax