Random Posting

Eric

2 hours ago, tous said:

There's a rush hour in Minnesota?

I thought that y'all spent your time shoveling snow and riding mooses.

Ha, ha, ha.  One morning I was going to work and talking to another ham friend of mine over the radios in our cars.  He drives from my area North to the next town, while I go South.  All of a sudden he exclaimed on how heavy the rush hour traffic became.  It was another car going the same direction he was.  The only other one in sight!

The point of my story is that I have provided proof of a Minnesota rush hour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Butcher shot the buck with an arrow when it was about 25 yards away. When he walked up to the deer, Butcher said he was “in complete shock.” The unique buck had a rack Butcher had never seen before, which posed quite a problem when he and a friend of his, Brian Crowe, attempted to score it.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“We added it up five times because it didn’t make sense,” Butcher said. “We had it at 341 inches gross, and 316 inches net.”
DFB22496-A81E-4421-815F-926683AD06F2.jpeg.9ebe7cdeac601a040c9b26359acd98f6.jpeg

Im not a deer hunter but don’t they call those “atypical”

Wonder if that deer had produced similar racks in earlier years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

According to some, Charon (the boatman who ferried the dead across the River Styx) had to be paid for the trip before letting the soul of the deceased out on the other side. So coins on the tombstone were placed to be certain that toll could be paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed on that page a reference to American soldiers "may" be "overpaid".

BS!!!!!!!!!!!  They are being taken advantage of to push the money into some BS cause.

I will never believe you could overpay a person who is required to give his life for his country.

If anyone is overpaid it's the politicians and their schemes to get taxpayers money at any excuse!  Cut the pay of those who don't go in harm's way for this country.

Cut the pay of Politicians before cutting the pay of  the Military!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, pipedreams said:

As America's adversaries become more sophisticated, U.S. combat troops heading to the war zone may have to get used to leaving behind their phones, laptops and even personal gaming devices, military experts say.

The Pentagon doesn't have a blanket policy barring service members from taking electronic devices on deployment, but combat commanders are beginning to prohibit them when going into the unknown.

Last week, Maj. Gen. James Mingus, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, ordered his paratroopers with the 1st Brigade Combat Team to leave personal phones, computers and all electronic devices at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, when they were alerted for a short-notice deployment to the Middle East amid escalating tensions with Iran.

"My commander wanted to own the decision to avoid putting soldiers at risk," said Lt. Col. Mike Burns, spokesman for the 82nd Airborne. "It's an [operational security] issue."

All the services have shifted from a counterinsurgency strategy to one of high-intensity combat across all domains, including cyber and electronic warfare, to face more sophisticated adversaries such as Russia, China and Iran.

Carrying phones and other devices didn't pose too much risk in Iraq or Afghanistan, because the Taliban and other insurgents weren't sophisticated enough to mine the signals and data, said Dakota Wood, a retired Marine officer with the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank in Washington. That's no longer the case, he added.

"I think there's a renewed awareness on signature management, which was very, very important in the Cold War," Wood said. "The Soviets and NATO forces were very aware of radio direction, finding signals, intelligence and keeping your signature low."

there's going to be a lot of Art-15 charges, I think

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

As America's adversaries become more sophisticated, U.S. combat troops heading to the war zone may have to get used to leaving behind their phones, laptops and even personal gaming devices, military experts say.

The Pentagon doesn't have a blanket policy barring service members from taking electronic devices on deployment, but combat commanders are beginning to prohibit them when going into the unknown.

Last week, Maj. Gen. James Mingus, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, ordered his paratroopers with the 1st Brigade Combat Team to leave personal phones, computers and all electronic devices at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, when they were alerted for a short-notice deployment to the Middle East amid escalating tensions with Iran.

"My commander wanted to own the decision to avoid putting soldiers at risk," said Lt. Col. Mike Burns, spokesman for the 82nd Airborne. "It's an [operational security] issue."

All the services have shifted from a counterinsurgency strategy to one of high-intensity combat across all domains, including cyber and electronic warfare, to face more sophisticated adversaries such as Russia, China and Iran.

Carrying phones and other devices didn't pose too much risk in Iraq or Afghanistan, because the Taliban and other insurgents weren't sophisticated enough to mine the signals and data, said Dakota Wood, a retired Marine officer with the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank in Washington. That's no longer the case, he added.

"I think there's a renewed awareness on signature management, which was very, very important in the Cold War," Wood said. "The Soviets and NATO forces were very aware of radio direction, finding signals, intelligence and keeping your signature low."

there's going to be a lot of Art-15 charges, I think

911 in my area has the ability to locate a cell phone within a very close distance.  If an adversary used a similar technique, and were unfettered by legal requirements, they could locate phones on the battlefield, absolutely guaranteed!

All cell phones transmit on their own to keep contact with cell sites.  If the user thinks they only transmit when they make a call, they are fatally mistaken.

You can't go into battle with some of your soldiers transmitting an uncontrolled and easily located transmitter.

I had a few occasions in the Navy (as a Radio operator) where I caused some consternation for what they called "unauthorized transmissions".  They were later approved, but they were quickly identified and located.

I would be horrified to find out that my compatriots were providing my location to the enemy!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic