Random Posting

Eric

DAB*

Last Friday and Saturday I spent most of the day on the tractor running the bushhog over the back forty and the new twenty (FIL bought some neighboring property to keep anyone else buying it and building condos or chickenhouses). All the time I was bushhogging I was thinking how nice a real cold beer would be. Today I had to mow, but, being the forward-thinking sumbitch I am I grabbed a case-o-beer at the Publix yesterday. So I combined two of my favorite pastimes, mowing and drinking. :supergrin:

*Drunk As a Bicycle

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Olive Ann Oatman (1837 – March 20, 1903) was a woman from Illinois whose family was killed in 1851, when she was fourteen, in present-day Arizona by a Native American tribe, possibly the Tolkepayas (Western Yavapai); they captured and enslaved her and her sister and later sold them to the Mohave people. After several years with the Mohave, during which her sister died of hunger, she returned to white society, five years after being carried off.

In subsequent years, the tale of Oatman came to be retold with dramatic license in the press, in her own "memoir" and speeches, novels, plays, movies and poetry. The story resonated in the media of the time and long afterward, partly owing to the prominent blue tattooing of Oatman's face by the Mohave. During her captivity the Mohave tattooed her face. The tattoo means "three blankets and two horse", indicating her worth. She was freed when a soldier found her with the Indians and threatened them for her release. Much of what actually occurred during her time with the Native Americans remains unknown.

The town of Oatman, Arizona, an old mining town, is named in her honor.

The character of Eva portrayed by Robin McLeavy in the AMC television series Hell on Wheels is very loosely based on Olive Oatman, but outside of being captured by a group of Indians, bearing the distinctive blue chin tattoo, and being raised Mormon, there are very few similarities between the character of Eva and the actual life of Olive Oatman.

Eva - Hell On Wheels - Olive Ann Oatman.jpg

Olive Ann Oatman.png

• Like 2