Random Posting

Eric

On 8/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Historian said:

The finest words said to me in a long time came from my doctor today.

Normal CT.  No evidence of aneurysm or dissection.

Good for you Sir!!!:patriot:  My triple "A" after the stint has been doing just Great for 5 years now!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Just my two cents.  If I type a couple sentences about any topic and post it, it may get a few looks.  But put the same text in bold colors on a vivid background, it all of a sudden becomes a meme.  Memes became popular because they draw attention to ones message true or untrue.

Memes are becoming more popular because they require less thought and less effort to process and that is a damned alarming sign of the times. Did you ever wonder why so many young people today have the attention span of a gnat? Have you ever watched one cruising social media sites? Lots of bright colors and pretty things to demand attention for a few seconds, until they scroll down to the next shiny thing. They need constant input, but that input has no substance. Maybe things like memes aren't causing the problem, but they sure as hell are a contributing factor. If memes were food, they would be junk food. Empty calories, requiring little of you and giving very little in return.

In my opinion,  the the proliferation of such content is a blight on this site. But then, what the hell do I know? I’m just the guy with almost a quarter of a century’s experience running message board communities and the one with access to the site’s analytics data. 

This isn’t directed at you Pipedreams. Just at the situation in general.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Eric said:

Guys, I was just sharing an opinion and maybe venting a bit. I didn’t mean to derail the thread. Post. Enjoy yourself. The music will play on. 😄

Either way, your prior post on the topic of shrinking attention span is spot on. I witness the exact same thing in my day trading chat where most are in their 20s.

Every time I tell them that it takes 3 to 4 years to master this, they try to prove me wrong by showing off some wins after a few months. At the end of the year I ask them to show my their 1099 IRS form, reflecting those wins, and none of them can produce a 1099 with a taxable profit, within the first 3 years. They all make some wins, and give it back soon after, and then some.

Big social media platforms and big tech companies really destroyed any in-depth thought and content. People just get addicted to meaningless "likes", so they post selfies and memes all day long.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crockett said:

Big social media platforms and big tech companies really destroyed any in-depth content. People just get addicted to meaningless "likes", so they post selfies and memes all day long.

You're right, crock. And it's like corn chips. Each little endorphin rush makes you want another. Think about smoking, think about Starrs, light a Starr. Light a Starr, think about Popsie, get a squirt. Get a squirt, think about Crunchies, buy a box. Buy a box, think about smoking, light a Starr.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Good for you Sir!!!:patriot:  My triple "A" after the stint has been doing just Great for 5 years now!!

Endovascular Stent Repair of Abdominal Aneurysm EVAR | Aortic Aneurysm  Surgery | Vascular Surgery

Thank you sir.

I went to the Doc about a week ago because i had spent the previous four days with a gastro issue that was causing me to live in the bathroom.   It was pretty grim.

Anyway.   The first doctor took and x-ray and said he could prescribe something for my arse but that I had a bigger issue to address.

Anyway.   CT scan was done today....and clear!   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crockett said:

Either way, your prior post on the topic of shrinking attention span is spot on. I witness the exact same thing in my day trading chat where most are in their 20s.

Every time I tell them that it takes 3 to 4 years to master this, they try to prove me wrong by showing off some wins after a few months. At the end of the year I ask them to show my their 1099 IRS form, reflecting those wins, and none of them can produce a 1099 with a taxable profit, within the first 3 years. They all make some wins, and give it back soon after, and then some.

Big social media platforms and big tech companies really destroyed any in-depth thought and content. People just get addicted to meaningless "likes", so they post selfies and memes all day long.

Have a look at Sesame Street if you haven’t recently. Short attention span. Action movement excitement. Flash flash flash. Today is brought to you by the letter ___

Mr Rogers Neighborhood about 180* from Sesame Street.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Have a look at Sesame Street if you haven’t recently. Short attention span. Action movement excitement. Flash flash flash. Today is brought to you by the letter ___

Mr Rogers Neighborhood about 180* from Sesame Street.  

Sesame Street had already lost its way 20 years ago... when I watched it once and immediately took it off the list of shows I would let my kids watch, back when we had a tv and an antennae that let us get PBS.  It was too bright, too loud, and the clips were all extremely short - like commercial short - not even making it to the one minute mark.  And yes, I blame garbage like that for the short attention spans in teens today.  Hell, the Teletubbies required a longer attention span!  Blech.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Historian said:

The finest words said to me in a long time came from my doctor today.

Normal CT.  No evidence of aneurysm or dissection.

Yeah, I hope to hear the same NO CHANGES.  SEE YOU IN 6 MONTHS...

• Like 2

Sydney McLaughlin

Moron liberal losers like Megan Rapinoe and Gwen Berry get the media coverage, but Tamyra Mensah-Stock isn’t the only class act to compete on Team USA in the Olympics this year. Sydney McLaughlin set a record in the 400-meter hurdle while qualifying for the games in June. That record has been broken already, by her.

Does she take the opportunity to denounce her country? No. She is grateful for the opportunity to represent it. Does she brandish her gold medal and smugly proclaim, “I deserve this”? No again.

She credits her success to her faith:

“As long as I put the hard work in, He’s going to carry me through. And I really cannot do anything more but give the glory to Him at this point.”

Some buckle under the stress of competition, then are fawned over by the media for quitting. Not Sydney McLaughlin:

“[T]he amount of weight the Lord took off my shoulders, is the reason I could run so freely yesterday. My faith was being tested all week. From bad practices, to 3 false start delays, to a meet delay. I just kept hearing God say, ‘Just focus on me.’ It was the best race plan I could have ever assembled,” she explained.

“I no longer run for self recognition, but to reflect His perfect will that is already set in stone. I don’t deserve anything. But by grace, through faith, Jesus has given me everything. Records come and go. The glory of God is eternal.”

While narcissists lose, Sydney McLaughlin wins. In the end, people get what they really do deserve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Sydney McLaughlin

Moron liberal losers like Megan Rapinoe and Gwen Berry get the media coverage, but Tamyra Mensah-Stock isn’t the only class act to compete on Team USA in the Olympics this year. Sydney McLaughlin set a record in the 400-meter hurdle while qualifying for the games in June. That record has been broken already, by her.

Does she take the opportunity to denounce her country? No. She is grateful for the opportunity to represent it. Does she brandish her gold medal and smugly proclaim, “I deserve this”? No again.

She credits her success to her faith:

“As long as I put the hard work in, He’s going to carry me through. And I really cannot do anything more but give the glory to Him at this point.”

Some buckle under the stress of competition, then are fawned over by the media for quitting. Not Sydney McLaughlin:

“[T]he amount of weight the Lord took off my shoulders, is the reason I could run so freely yesterday. My faith was being tested all week. From bad practices, to 3 false start delays, to a meet delay. I just kept hearing God say, ‘Just focus on me.’ It was the best race plan I could have ever assembled,” she explained.

“I no longer run for self recognition, but to reflect His perfect will that is already set in stone. I don’t deserve anything. But by grace, through faith, Jesus has given me everything. Records come and go. The glory of God is eternal.”

*******While narcissists lose, Sydney McLaughlin wins. In the end, people get what they really do deserve.

*****WE CAN ONLY HOPE THAT WILL HAPPEN

• Like 2

Two informally dressed ladies happened to start up a conversation during an endless wait in the LAX airport. The first lady was an arrogant California woman married to a wealthy man.

The second was a well-mannered elderly woman from the South.

When the conversation centered on whether they had any children, the California woman started by saying, “When my first child was born, my husband built a beautiful mansion for me.”

The lady from the South commented, “Well, bless your heart.”

The first woman continued, “When my second child was born, my husband bought me a beautiful Mercedes-Benz.”

Again, the lady from the South commented,

“Well, bless your heart.”

The first woman continued boasting, “Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet.”

Yet again, the Southern lady commented, “Well, bless your heart.”

The first woman then asked her companion, “What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?”

“My husband sent me to charm school,” declared the Southern lady.

“Charm school?” the first woman cried, “Oh, my God! What on earth for?”

The Southern lady responded, “Well, for example, instead of saying, ‘Who gives a sh*t? ’ I learned to say, ‘Well, bless your heart’…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2