Random Posting

Eric

4 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

311.png

People in situations such as the one in the left were the reasons FDR created his alphabet agencies such as CCC and WPA. The depression kept many young people from obtaining jobs. Having seen the turmoil in Europe FDR and his staff wanted to put the young and restless to work, lest they start a revolution because they were idle and bored. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, billkill said:

I doubt he made it...no piano hinge. :piano:

He may have made it before he was "accomplished" at making pianos.  You made your tool chest as an example of your ability to do fine work.  It was expected as you progressed in the trade.

At that time, you were expected to show the tool chest as an example of the quality of your work so an employer would see what you were capable of. 

Your ability would continue to improve with actual real experience and greater challenges.  You didn't simply stop work and make a new tool chest as you gained experience and expertise.

As your ability progressed, you excellence was derived from word of mouth from the customers.  At some point in you career your reputation exceeded the necessity of showing your tool chest.  Others would testify to your ability.

As I stated earlier, the tool chest was your resume' that your employer could view.

"...The tool chest was more than mere organization to the old ones. It was a sales brochure and an industry efficiency expert rolled into one. On the right, of course, is a reproduction of the tool chest of Benjamin Seaton, as described in the podcast. Notice the chisel tills in the top bin of the sliding till, and the fixed till securly holding the smaller saws. Also notice the rope handles — there is some conjecture that some chests were made with handles long enough that a pike might be slid through each and the chest carried that way. I suppose it’s possible, but then, I don’t need to carry this chest...."

https://neanderblog.wordpress.com/tag/old-tools/

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

3380cb64e1960d7b.png?1604085389

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”
 Benjamin Franklin