Random Posting

Eric

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

I went to school in a grade school in the middle of the Teachers College Campus.  We were a "Laboratory School".

It was a "Boot Camp" for student teachers before becoming accredited.  They also tried new teaching methods on us.

By new, I mean.  I had flight training in a "Link Trainer", Metal Shop learning to spin bowls on a metal lathe, metal engraving, Rebuilding 4 cycle small engines, Tanning hides, Latin, among the more conventional grade school classes.  The emphasis was on learning!

Today, none of the "industrial arts" would be allowed for the protection of the student.  Students are protected from learning now!

And that valuable shop equipment was sold for ten cents on the dollar or less. And if school boards regain their senses (doubtful) it will cost a lot more to replace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

And that valuable shop equipment was sold for ten cents on the dollar or less. And if school boards regain their senses (doubtful) it will cost a lot more to replace. 

They forgot that an education in skills and training is often as important as an education in other areas.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

And that is a shame.  I think a class or two in industrial arts should be mandatory for everyone.   Little Historian has home economics...and guess what...the boys are learning to sew buttons and hem pants.

Wish i'd learned that skill in life.

Just saying everyone can use a broad education in the basics.

Everyone of normal capabilities should be able to balance a checkbook and prepare at least the short form personal income tax. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

They forgot that an education in sills and training is often as important as an education in other areas.

Not every one is college material. When every high school decided its role was to get all students ready for college a lot were short changed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Not every one is college material. When every high school decided its role was to get all students ready for college a lot were short changed. 

Nor should they.    I have family members who are plumbers and electricians.

And...i call them when i mess things up...(shaking head in shame)

Because they have skills i wish i had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

yup, that's the quote I recalled when the topic came up.

• Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic