Random Posting

Eric

While I am being grumpy, I hate tautologies.  :shakefist:

One that irks me to this day is the title of the old television program, Unsolved Mysteries.  If it is unsolved, it is, by nature, a mystery. 

New innovation; are there old innovations?

Hot water heater; if heat is involved, we can assume that the result will be hot.  Besides, it heats cold water.

Ever have anyone deliver a short summary?  As opposed to a long summary?

ATM machine; what do they think the M stands for?

In fiction, a writer will pen, Suddenly, without warning ....  Uh, suddenly means without warning.

Close proximity; if it is proximate, that means it's close, ya galoot.

How about when someone says, I have three questions.  The first is ....  Dang it, the first question asked is, by nature, the first question.  You don't need to tell us which one is first.  The first one is first.

When some numpty in a suit and tie states, This fulfills all of the necessary requirements.  If it's a requirement, we believe that it's necessary.  No need to 'splain that.

Ah, revel ye in the wonderful evening sunset.  Seeing a morning sunset is even more rare.

Okay.

Now I can sleep.

Carry on.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tous said:

One that irks me to this day is the title of the old television program, Unsolved Mysteries.  If it is unsolved, it is, by nature, a mystery. 

Hot water heater; if heat is involved, we can assume that the result will be hot.  Besides, it heats cold water.

In fiction, a writer will pen, Suddenly, without warning ....  Uh, suddenly means without warning.

How about when someone says, I have three questions.  The first is ....  Dang it, the first question asked is, by nature, the first question.  You don't need to tell us which one is first.  The first one is first.

When some numpty in a suit and tie states, This fulfills all of the necessary requirements.  If it's a requirement, we believe that it's necessary.  No need to 'splain that.

Ah, revel ye in the wonderful evening sunset.  Seeing a morning sunset is even more rare.

Okay.

Now I can sleep.

Carry on.

you might be able to sleep now that you hoisted that nonsense off on us, but now that it's in our heads how are we supposed to be able to get any sleep?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, tous said:

I did now that one, except we never specified the color of the measuring hair in question.

Any old hair would do.

:biggrin:

My understanding was that red was the thickest, brunette medium, and blonde the thinnest.  Taking the smallest bit off of something to make it fit, for instance, would be carry an instruction along the lines of 'file it down a blonde one'.

-Pat

• Like 3

I worked on gubmint projects.

The 'any old pelvic hair will do' was close enough for government work.

Speaking of close, how exactly do they measure a femtosecond (1E-15) or for that matter, a picosecond (1E-12?)

Wouldn't the latency of any device, mechanical or electrical, tend to make any meaningful measurement implausible?

Or, does Apple have an app for that.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tous said:

Okay.

Now I can sleep.

Carry on.

“It has always amazed Ford. The ability of humans to repeat the obvious.”

Ford Prefect (approximation)

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 2

Dr. Gilbert Lewis not only came up with the word ‘photon’ and the official definition of ‘jiffy’ in physics and chemistry, but he also was nominated for a Nobel Prize 35 times, though never won a single one, something which rankled him to no end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tous said:

I worked on gubmint projects.

The 'any old pelvic hair will do' was close enough for government work.

Speaking of close, how exactly do they measure a femtosecond (1E-15) or for that matter, a picosecond (1E-12?)

Wouldn't the latency of any device, mechanical or electrical, tend to make any meaningful measurement implausible?

Or, does Apple have an app for that.

Amazingly even to me, was that when Step Recovery Diodes first came out, I was measuring their switching speeds in pico-seconds on a Hewlett Packard instrument that was designed, built, distributed, and existing in the lab already.  How did they know?????...………  Sampling does wonders.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, janice6 said:

Amazingly even to me, was that when Step Recovery Diodes first came out, I was measuring their switching speeds in pico-seconds on a Hewlett Packard instrument that was designed, built, distributed, and existing in the lab already.  How did they know?????...………  Sampling does wonders.

You and tous need to speak de English!!! Us normal human beings don’t know of watchoo speak!:angryfire:

:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DUBSY said:

I was trying to show off the Corgi cork. 

Corgis are cool dogs.  But they make me wonder...  Since we bred big dogs with short little legs like the Corgi, why haven't we bred little dogs with really long legs?  It would really make it easier to pet them instead of having to bend over all the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic