Random Posting

Eric

On 1/8/2019 at 1:36 PM, Dog Soldier said:

Way out on the Western Plains. You can watch your dog run away for 2 days.

In some places, you can get in your car, put on a blindfold, and just start driving.

You might quickly run off the road, but it doesn't matter, it's still going to be four hours before you run into anything.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

In some places, you can get in your car, put on a blindfold, and just start driving.

You might quickly run off the road, but it doesn't matter, it's still going to be four hours before you run into anything.

One of my favorite comments was from a person on TV.  He said that in South Dakota, you could look out your hotel window and see for a week.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eric said:

FFE0BA9F-BD88-49FA-B4B9-5C1B398EDB7B.jpeg

Union Pacific Railroad should load them this way for shipping.  Instead they use a tri-level car carrier.  Those are real fun to open with the UP Canine when the door your are climbing doesn't lock all the way.  It requires some split decision acrobatics.  I have pulled a lot of illegals out those brand spanking new vehicles.  Often they take a dump in the back seat.  I would ask the UP Canine handler what they did with those cars.  I thought they would clean them out, or something.  No, they just crush them and take the loss.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

So true. But if you have ever viewed  the South Dakota Bad Lands? What a scenic week. 

Yes.  I actually got time to walk some of it.  It is an incredible area.  You are on sod covered flat land and on your other  side is the Bad Lands.  Incredible change in a matter of feet.   In the Summer it is a kind of Hell.

• Like 3

You are a very observant traveler. Way back years ago this was also the scene of the Sioux Indian uprisings of modern times. I was on a job above Wounded Knee where the Indians burned the facilities. I had foolishly left my 1911 .45 in my jeep and was watching the battle through my field glasses. Then before I could retreat a band of painted Sioux radicals had me surrounded. This was in 1973 near the Lakota Rez. 

I knew they had killed a number of "Whites", they were armed with Russian Ak-47 rifles supplied by Fidel Castro. A young Indian woman spoke for them. She asked me for my money and car keys. I expected to lose anyway,I said Hell know. They discussed the situation and then ask if I was a Federal Agent. I told them they had no right to ask. 

They all turned around and departed. The longest drive I ever made was the 5 miles back to the Highway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

You are a very observant traveler. Way back years ago this was also the scene of the Sioux Indian uprisings of modern times. I was on a job above Wounded Knee where the Indians burned the facilities. I had foolishly left my 1911 .45 in my jeep and was watching the battle through my field glasses. Then before I could retreat a band of painted Sioux radicals had me surrounded. This was in 1973 near the Lakota Rez. 

I knew they had killed a number of "Whites", they were armed with Russian Ak-47 rifles supplied by Fidel Castro. A young Indian woman spoke for them. She asked me for my money and car keys. I expected to lose anyway,I said Hell know. They discussed the situation and then ask if I was a Federal Agent. I told them they had no right to ask. 

They all turned around and departed. The longest drive I ever made was the 5 miles back to the Highway. 

Sometimes, in spite of the odds, you simply have to do what you see is the right thing, no matter the outcome.  I'm glad that your choice was the right one for you.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Sometimes, in spite of the odds, you simply have to do what you see is the right thing, no matter the outcome.  I'm glad that your choice was the right one for you.   

Thanks so much for your comment. Your post has expressed my feelings of that long past experience. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

Sounds right about the time of Wounded Knee.

• Like 2

Yes, as posted 1973 on the ridge over looking the burning of the buildings at Wounded Knee.  This siege lasted from Feb. 23,1973-May 3 1973. The war went on however into the 1980s.  Many times the 200 Sioux Renegades blocked highways with lodge poles and fires. They held one park for years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, as posted 1973 on the ridge over looking the burning of the buildings at Wounded Knee.  This siege lasted from Feb. 23,1973-May 3 1973. The war went on however into the 1980s.  Many times the 200 Sioux Renegades blocked highways with lodge poles and fires. They held one park for years. 

Interesting conversation.  Around 1999 I had an opportunity visit this area with a lady that was originally from the reservation but now married to a wealthy NY contractor.  Each summer she spent time on the res. giving back to the people.  Never seen such poverty especially the elderly.   She had SUV fully food when I met up with her and we went to several trailer out in nowhere land.  She explained she only gave them so much and only certain items since the younger ones would steal it from them if she gave them more.  We stopped by the remains of a baseball field and other sporting fields.  The whole place was a mess with weeds growing everywhere and the concrete bathrooms had been gutted.  The backstops for the ball-fields were half torn down.  She said just a couple years earlier she help pay for the construction and now look at it. 

The scariest part of the whole day was when she pulled over and gave a ride too three young adult males.   Here I am sitting in the front seat miles from no where and they get fascinated with the hair on my arms.  Apparently they don't have body hair like white Anglo's.  Anyway she finally dropped them off and I was able to breath again.  One thing I remember her saying "never get caught out there after dark".

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Interesting conversation.  Around 1999 I had an opportunity visit this area with a lady that was originally from the reservation but now married to a wealthy NY contractor.  Each summer she spent time on the res. giving back to the people.  Never seen such poverty especially the elderly.   She had SUV fully food when I met up with her and we went to several trailer out in nowhere land.  She explained she only gave them so much and only certain items since the younger ones would steal it from them if she gave them more.  We stopped by the remains of a baseball field and other sporting fields.  The whole place was a mess with weeds growing everywhere and the concrete bathrooms had been gutted.  The backstops for the ball-fields were half torn down.  She said just a couple years earlier she help pay for the construction and now look at it. 

The scariest part of the whole day was when she pulled over and gave a ride too three young adult males.   Here I am sitting in the front seat miles from no where and they get fascinated with the hair on my arms.  Apparently they don't have body hair like white Anglo's.  Anyway she finally dropped them off and I was able to breath again.  One thing I remember her saying "never get caught out there after dark".

I went to Basic with a couple Cherokee from the Res in Oklahoma. The DI was going on about hygiene and morning prep, and told everyone that you will shave, every day.

They looked at him and said:

shave what?

they had no facial hair 

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic