Random Posting

Eric

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jmohme said:

They were damned near bullet proof!

What is your second favorite inline six?

Do you mean what is my favorite? The Chevy 292cid, for its sheer torque and strength. There are a whole list of I-6s that I love though. During the mid-fifties, you might get a V-8 engine in your Chevy 1/2-tom pickup, but you got a big inline six in a 3/4-ton. They are torque monsters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Do you mean what is my favorite? The Chevy 292cid, for its sheer torque and strength. There are a whole list of I-6s that I love though. During the mid-fifties, you might get a V-8 engine in your Chevy 1/2-tom pickup, but you got a big inline six in a 3/4-ton. They are torque monsters.

The Chevy 292 was one of the best but when it comes to great inline sixes but the earlier GMC 302 cubic inch six was a favorite of hot-rodders back in the day. but when you talk about great American inline sixes, you also have to include The Hudson 308 cubic inch flathead six, the Chrysler slant six,  and my favorite, the Ford 300 cubic inch six made from 1964 to 1996. These engines had seven main bearings and steel timing gears instead of chains. And these monster engines weighed 560 pounds. Aftermarket performance parts were available for the big 300's and from 1989 to 1996 EFI was available and can be fitted to the older engines. 

My brother has a 49 Dodge 2 door sedan and he located a Chrysler industrial crate motor for it that was never run before and he got a dual carb manifold for it and a kit for synchronizing the carburetors that works like a charm.  It really runs great.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

The Chevy 292 was one of the best but when it comes to great inline sixes but the earlier GMC 302 cubic inch six was a favorite of hot-rodders back in the day. but when you talk about great American inline sixes, you also have to include The Hudson 308 cubic inch flathead six, the Chrysler slant six,  and my favorite, the Ford 300 cubic inch six made from 1964 to 1996. These engines had seven main bearings and steel timing gears instead of chains. And these monster engines weighed 560 pounds. Aftermarket performance parts were available for the big 300's and from 1989 to 1996 EFI was available and can be fitted to the older engines. 

My brother has a 49 Dodge 2 door sedan and he located a Chrysler industrial crate motor for it that was never run before and he got a dual carb manifold for it and a kit for synchronizing the carburetors that works like a charm.  It really runs great.

Those are all great engines. The Ford 300cid is another of my all-time favorites.

The Chevy 292cid/Powerglide combo was a legendary performer at the drag strip, back in the day. GM really screwed the pooch when they went to the integrated heads on their remaining Inline 6 engines. That pretty much put paid to GM inline sixes.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

How could I forget one of the best inline six engines ever built? The Jaguar 4.2L inline 6. The length of its production run, its performance and its dependability are legendary. It is a truly amazing engine and the sound is so sweet. It is also probably the best looking inline 6 ever built, IMHO.

1955_Jaguar_XKD_engine.thumb.jpg.f4935cca5815879e2baa490b934508f7.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Correction. The Ford big 6 was a 240 cubic inch from 64 through ether 1969 or 70. Ford gave it a longer stroke after that to bring it up to 300 cubic inch.  I personally liked the Ford 6 better than the 292 Chevy, but both were great engines.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric said:

Those are all great engines. The Ford 300cid is another of my all-time favorites.

The Chevy 292cid/Powerglide combo was a legendary performer at the drag strip, back in the day. GM really screwed the pooch when they went to the integrated heads on their remaining Inline 6 engines. That pretty much put paid to GM inline sixes.

How do you mean "integrated heads"?

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

How do you mean "integrated heads"?

In the late seventies, GM replaced the I-6 heads with a version that had intake and exhaust manifolds cast into them. This prevented people from being able to make most performance modifications and the heads had the tendency to crack. It was a pretty common thing back then for people to replace the integrated heads with the older versions, which were a direct replacement. GM claimed the new design increased low-end torque and made for smoother engine performance. This was a very unpopular change though.

Ford kept their 300cid I-6 in production into the nineties and it was a very popular engine. I believe that GM going to the integrated head had a lot to do with them dropping their I-6s when they did. There are plenty of compelling reasons for the eventual discontinuation of the big I-6s, but GM hastened their end with what many saw as a bad design decision. 

7F8E67B8-733E-4C9D-90B5-3AE8126F6437.jpeg.c93e061bf6cd5313207d70825b0b616c.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

In the late seventies, GM replaced the I-6 heads with a version that had intake and exhaust manifolds cast into them. This prevented people from being able to make most performance modifications and the heads had the tendency to crack. It was a pretty common thing back then for people to replace the integrated heads with the older versions, which were a direct replacement. GM claimed the new design increased low-end torque and made for smoother engine performance. This was a very unpopular change though.

Ford kept their 300cid I-6 in production into the nineties and it was a very popular engine. I believe that GM going to the integrated head had a lot to do with them dropping their I-6s when they did. There are plenty of compelling reasons for the eventual discontinuation of the big I-6s, but GM hastened their end with what many saw as a bad design decision. 

7F8E67B8-733E-4C9D-90B5-3AE8126F6437.jpeg.c93e061bf6cd5313207d70825b0b616c.jpeg

Thanks.  I'm not particularly well schooled on I6 engines.

I know one of the big Diesels (Cummins maybe) has an I6 that has multiple heads, with each one being for either one or two cylinders.  This makes some repairs a lot easier supposedly.  In truth it probably depends on what else has to come off.

44 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Thanks.  I'm not particularly well schooled on I6 engines.

I know one of the big Diesels (Cummins maybe) has an I6 that has multiple heads, with each one being for either one or two cylinders.  This makes some repairs a lot easier supposedly.  In truth it probably depends on what else has to come off.

Cummins has pretty much dropped the multiple head design. The N14 was the last of the inlines with three heads. Its replacement is the ISX and is an overhead cam designs so multiple head had to go.

They may still use multiple heads still in their big construction equipment engines. The K model had one had per cylinder, but I don't know if Cummins still makes it or not. I have been out of the industry a few years and have not kept up.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Cummins has pretty much dropped the multiple head design. The N14 was the last of the inlines with three heads. Its replacement is the ISX and is an overhead cam designs so multiple head had to go.

They may still use multiple heads still in their big construction equipment engines. The K model had one had per cylinder, but I don't know if Cummins still makes it or not. I have been out of the industry a few years and have not kept up.

I would imagine any sort of OHC design would kill the multi-head design.  

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic