Random Posting

Eric

I was just ruminating, no, not the grass-eating ruminating, after reading about the 100-year-old veteran. and those of his generation.

Our family was from the UP, around the Marquette area.  Mostly Finns, a few Italians and Swedes thrown in, at least one French-Canadian.  :biggrin:

I had a lot of uncles and great-uncles.  Large families were common.

They went off and fought World War Two, in all branches of service, returned home and for the majority of them, they went to work in the iron ore mines.

I have toured those mines.  The work there wasn't pleasant and it wasn't challenging and being the UP, these men had to get to work through five feet of snow when it was 20 below, but they went, did their jobs, raised their families.

Nearly all of my cousins are college-graduates and have had satisfying careers.

Because their fathers went to work in those mines, every day.

My father escaped, went to college on the GI Bill and worked for the Department of the Army in a variety of roles for 36 years.

I am certain that he didn't find every job, every day challenging or satisfying.

We moved across the country every two or three years.  It was the only way my father could advance and get promoted.

Both my sister and I had great childhoods and very satisfying careers, all because, just like those men in the mines, they went to work everyday, did their jobs, raised their families and didn't complain.

Thank you, Dad and Uncles.

Your kids are all right.

You succeeded.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, tous said:

I was just ruminating, no, not the grass-eating ruminating, after reading about the 100-year-old veteran. and those of his generation.

Our family was from the UP, around the Marquette area.  Mostly Finns, a few Italians and Swedes thrown in, at least one French-Canadian.  :biggrin:

I had a lot of uncles and great-uncles.  Large families were common.

They went off and fought World War Two, in all branches of service, returned home and for the majority of them, they went to work in the iron ore mines.

I have toured those mines.  The work there wasn't pleasant and it wasn't challenging and being the UP, these men had to get to work through five feet of snow when it was 20 below, but they went, did their jobs, raised their families.

Nearly all of my cousins are college-graduates and have had satisfying careers.

Because their fathers went to work in those mines, every day.

My father escaped, went to college on the GI Bill and worked for the Department of the Army in a variety of roles for 36 years.

I am certain that he didn't find every job, every day challenging or satisfying.

We moved across the country every two or three years.  It was the only way my father could advance and get promoted.

Both my sister and I had great childhoods and very satisfying careers, all because, just like those men in the mines, they went to work everyday, did their jobs, raised their families and didn't complain.

Thank you, Dad and Uncles.

Your kids are all right.

You succeeded.

That deserves so much more than a LIKE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic