Does the PPC fit into your self-defense (home-defense) plan?

BMyers

It does for our family. The general statement is if you are going to use a rifle, it needs to be a rifle caliber. In general I agreed with that statement and had prepared that way. 

Yet once the wife and daughter start actively shooting, I quickly realized that even though my wife has shot every rifle we have, she didn't enjoy shooting them and wouldn't practice with them. My daughter would only shot the  22 lever action and wouldn't touch anything else.

Well, I bought a PCC for two gun matches. The girls tried and it and fell in love with it. Now they each have their own and love taking it to the range. They have practiced out to 50 yards with it and hit very well with it. 

So, I started re-thinking where the PCCs fit in. We have now setup our home defense plan to include the PCCs instead of the regular rifles as the choice. 

We still have the rifles, but we have adjusted the plan for PCCs to work for us and our family needs. 

I didn't know if anyone else had made any adjustments to their plans because of family members?

Edited by BMyers
  • Like 1

I've been a fan of the 9x19mm cartridge since the mid 80s, and have owned a bunch of different carbines chambered for it over the years. 

When it came time to down size my life, the AR pattern is what I decided to standardize around, so my current house gun is a Lone Wolf based SBR.

I have no desire to crack off a rifle caliber rifle in a house even with earpro on.      That being said, a 9mm or 40 PCC sounds like a cap gun in comparison and still pack plenty of punch in tighter confines.   

I'm not paying tax stamps on Suppressors so I say PCC is the perfect solution for home defense and easiest on the ears.  My .02

• Like 1

I agree that a real rifle is just as much a threat to my neighbors as it is to the criminal.

I have my CCW, a G41 w/14 rounds of .45 ACP on the bedside table, but I also have a Kel Tek P2000 9mm, w/50 round magazine, in a brief case next to the table.  I may be conflicted as to which I use, but I have no qualms with either one.  I also have a video camera on the driveway displayed on a large screen in the bedroom to help me make the choice.

• Like 2

Absolutely. I put a red dot and my TLR-2 on it. One of my GLOCKS gets night stand duty, but the PCC is near by. My only problem is that I haven't found a wall mount that I like for it yet. With the dog running around at night, I don't want it just propped up in the corner, I'd like it a little more secure, but still easy to grab in a hurry. If any one has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I would be curious to hear what others have used for bedside storage of the PCC. I have looked at some wall mount options, but just haven't pulled the trigger, so mine is currently in the under the bed safe. 

• Like 1

I've kept a 12 gauge out for home defense but have since switched to my Scorpion.  I shoot it more, I shoot it better.  It's almost like cheating making hits out 50m offhand.  My CCW and bed side pistol are both chambered in 9mm as well so it fits right in.

ScorpShop.jpg

• Like 3

Hello to all, 

First post here, I just jumped ship from GT. 

I will say it absolutely does in my home. I have been trying for years to come up with a solution for my wife. She loves to shoot and is deadly with an AR or Mini 14, but only after I have loaded it for her. She can't/won't learn the manual of arms to keep it running or safely operate it. I tried various pump shotguns, but she did not like the recoil and would not aim. I tried lever actions and actually settled on a .357 Marlin for a while, but she did not like using the loading gate. We tried all types of handguns, which again she loves to shoot, but could not operate reliably on her own.

Eventually we used a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot and Velocitors. She could run this gun well and we practiced shooting multiple times at targets. While not the best setup in the world, at least she could operate the rifle by herself and had a high degree of confidence in using it.

Enter the Ruger PC 9...I could not tell you how happy I was to see that it is set up like the 10/22! She can easily operate the bolt, is used to the safety, loves that it is not "Blasty" (not my word choice) and that is has very little recoil. With a nice red dot mounted on top, she can rip apart targets with ease. We sighted in the Ruger at 50 yards and she can hit a silhouette out to 100. My only problem now is keeping up with her ammo consumption.

I know the Ruger is not as cool looking as some of the other PCC's out there, but for a simple manual of arms, superb reliability, very good trigger and great accuracy the Ruger is hard to beat. With kids around the house, we keep the Ruger disassembled in a small safe. I know that might be slow to make ready, but we have several rings of security to help keep us aware of our surrounding neighborhood. I also keep a Glock handy as well. So for our family the Ruger PC 9 is here to stay and might even get a sibling here soon.

Edited by ECVMatt
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

I've kept a 12 gauge out for home defense but have since switched to my Scorpion.  I shoot it more, I shoot it better.  It's almost like cheating making hits out 50m offhand.  My CCW and bed side pistol are both chambered in 9mm as well so it fits right in.

ScorpShop.jpg

Very nice setup!

Rifles.thumb.jpg.94aa766b6f6dfc8bbd2a3d3e446a5222.jpg

Here is two of our PCCs. We put the tripods on to make it easier to sight in, they are easy to take on and off. Rhonda's is on top with the 3x magnifier, red dot, and TLR-1 and it is an ATI, mine is on the bottom with just the red dot and it is FX-9.

Edited by BMyers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a home protector and recreational shooter, my Ruger9 PC Carbine fits this category perfectly.  To 75 yards, it is highly accurate.

I have augmented my home protection by having a high capacity Ruger SR9 semiautomatic pistol at bedside and a Beretta 12 gauge shotgun available at the entryway.

Neither my Remington 700 or Bushmaster XM-15 are used for home protection.

My 11 year old has an SBR'd AR9 in his room as his HD "rifle".  My 15 year old daughter has a SIG MPX pistol with brace.  They have Glock 19 pistols as well.  If needed, they can toss ammo or mags back and forth since their bedrooms are at the end of the hallway.

Their PCCs are suppressed.  Their pistols are not.  They each have their own safes in their rooms.  They're on the 3rd floor.  I'm on the second.  If someone makes it past me, they can take care of the rest.

I just bought a shotgun to try and decide how it fits into my routine.  My bedside gun is my old suppressed Glock 21 and I keep a suppressed 300blk SBR nearby.  All my guns have WMLs.  The kids just have handhelds.

Edited by Chowser
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the ammo choices available today, and the reliability of shirt barrel .223 carbines I personally don’t see the point anymore. 

I no longer have any PCC’s. 

However, there is a certain handyness to a 9mm PCC that feeds from 33rd Glock magazines. Sidearm and carbine reloading from the same magazine is not a terrible idea. 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:25 PM, janice6 said:

I also have a video camera on the driveway displayed on a large screen in the bedroom to help me make the choice.

Same here, I got 11 cams around my house as well as inside, all streaming to every TV, computer, cell phone and a couple iPad mini (on 24/7). All outside cams get triggered when somebody walks or drives onto the property, at night they start an audible alarm in my bedroom only, unless I'm not at home, then the entire enchilada goes off with 4 sirens and strobe lights inside and out, and police is notified by 2 systems.

By the time anybody has made it inside I have had plenty of time to figure out if my G40 with 2 x 32 rounds will do or if I have to open a safe for a .308 and hearing protection with build in microphone. All outer walls are concrete, as long as I avoid windows I'm good to go.

• Thanks 1

The short answer is no.  I have no use for PCCs.  I have several pistol caliber lever action guns for cowboy competition, but nothing for HD.  I like my Mossberg 930 SPX with a Remington 870 and an 1897 Winchester as backups.  If the poo poo really hits the fan I'll go to the Colt AR 15.  I keep 11 thirty round mags loaded, so hopefully that will suffice.  Of course there's always the Colt Commander too.