Consistent malfunction of G26

HGxyz

I've owned Glocks for many years - my G17 since 1989, and a dozen+ models in the mean time.  I've experienced a malfunction rate something like 1 in 10,000, most if not all those due to under-loaded cartridges.  This changed when I tried HST +P 147 grain ammo in my gen4 G26, which doesn't cycle properly (fails to extract) on nearly every round!  This gun had been perfect on  9000+ rounds of different manufacture and bullet weight, including a lot of steel cased stuff.  The gun is in excellent condition with no internal modifications, and has been perfect since I quit using the HST.

The ammo is excellent, and I  carry it in my G43, but the gen4 G26/HST +p 147 seems to be a real anomaly.  I returned Gold Dot 124 +P in this,  my favorite Glock.  I'm curious whether anyone else has tried this combo?

I haven't tried it, but I'm not surprised at your findings. 

147 grain bullets in a 9x19mm round are heavy projectiles that require a slow burning powder to safely burn in an acceptable combustion/pressure curve to propel the bullet. In the short barrel of a 26, I'd hypothesize that the combustion/pressure curve is not complete before the round exits the barrel and the gas column completes the burn in the atmosphere. With incomplete combustion, even with the added +P, the produced recoil impulse is insufficient to cycle the slide fully.

The Glock 26 has a slide width of 30mm. The Glock 43 has a slide width of 26mm. 
The Glock 26 has a barrel length of 87mm. While the 43 has a barrel length of 86mm.
Slide lengths appear to be different based on the length between sights - 5.39 inches vs. 5.2 inches. OAL is different as well - 6.41 inches vs. 6.26 inches.

Based on these dimensions, I'd guess that the 26 slide has more mass than the 43 and the 147 grain +P round simply doesn't have enough developed pressure to overcome the mass/recoil spring rate prior to venting. Were you to go to a 19, a 17, or a 34, you would likely see increasing pressures prior to bullets leaving the barrel and increased function reliability. 

• Like 2

Maybe, but I'm skeptical of this explanation.  If it matters, the perceived recoil is similar to the +P gold dots and heavier than the various target rounds I use.  The gun does handle other 147 grain rounds every time.  For example Winchester (standard pressure) FMJ.  

Evaluating malfunctions based on personal perception is wholly unscientific and evaluating non-equal variables as identical is guaranteed to ruin findings. 

Finding a solution to an engineering problem requires use of engineering methodology. 

I never tried any 147 +P in either of my 26s but if I did and it was not reliable I would just not use it. My 26s have been reliable with every thing I tried in them including 115 and 127+P+, 115 and 124 +Ps and numerous standard loads over the last 18 years so I will let it slide if either of them finds a load it doesn't like. The 26 slide is 25.5mm according to my calipers.

Glock recommendation for RSA replacement is 3000 rds for 3rd Gen and older guns (single spring setups) and 5000 rds for Gen4 guns (dual spring setup), or possibly sooner for harder recoiling cartridges (.357 Sig guns).   This came from a Glock Armorers Course.

All 26 generations are dual spring, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My post was not specifically about the 26, but yes they are.  If the original poster referred to 9000+ rounds with no mention of a recoil assembly change.  If he hasn't put a new one in, he should have long ago.

Edited by Pointblank
  • Like 1

I've not tried the specific Federal HST 147gr 9mm+P.  This specific ammo is not listed on Federal distributor's LE ammo page:

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/handgun/default.aspx

I did see it for sale on another website as "P9HST4".  

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-law-enforcement-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-hst-jacketed-hollow-point-p9hst4-p-58558.aspx

I wonder if it was a specially made batch for a customer; VistaOutdoor just doesn't carry it; or perhaps discontinued.

I've only used the P9HST2 and P9HST3, without problems through my G19Gens 3&4.

If it was me trying to diagnose a G26Gen4/ammo problem, I'd want to shoot the specific ammo to personally observe what's happening.  It's always possible the anomaly can't be recreated at a given range visit, btw.

I'd also consider detail stripping the G26Gen4, especially the slide; examining the various parts, such as the extractor, extractor depressor plunger assembly, and ejector, and magazine for anything amiss.  This might be hard to do for someone examining his own weapon to avoid any preconceived notions.

Having some spare parts on-hand which can be substituted in is also a nice thing to have on hand.  In fact, having a spare  problem-free G26Gen4 in which to use for comparison is one of the best spare parts to have.

I'm just voicing my thoughts on this matter.

I do like the immediate remedy of just changing the carry-ammo for the OP's specific G26Gen4.

Edited by L-2

The gun was doing this with a new RSA and new extractor.

This is the P9HST4 ("Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition" written on the box).  

My notes show I replaced the ejector with a new model 30274 in Dec 2011.  As I recall this is the recommended part for gen4s, and I'm a little hazy on why I did it, but the part was given to me by Glock.

At any rate, I'm not wasting any more of this good ammo trying to figure it out.  I can use the HST in my G43, and have plenty of gold dot for the G26.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, L-2 said:

I've not tried the specific Federal HST 147gr 9mm+P.  This specific ammo is not listed on Federal distributor's LE ammo page:

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/handgun/default.aspx

I did see it for sale on another website as "P9HST4".  

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-law-enforcement-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-hst-jacketed-hollow-point-p9hst4-p-58558.aspx

I wonder if it was a specially made batch for a customer; VistaOutdoor just doesn't carry it; or perhaps discontinued.

I've only used the P9HST2 and P9HST3, without problems through my G19Gens 3&4.

If it was me trying to diagnose a G26Gen4/ammo problem, I'd want to shoot the specific ammo to personally observe what's happening.  It's always possible the anomaly can't be recreated at a given range visit, btw.

I'd also consider detail stripping the G26Gen4, especially the slide; examining the various parts, such as the extractor, extractor depressor plunger assembly, and ejector, and magazine for anything amiss.  This might be hard to do for someone examining his own weapon to avoid any preconceived notions.

Having some spare parts on-hand which can be substituted in is also a nice thing to have on hand.  In fact, having a spare  problem-free G26Gen4 in which to use for comparison is one of the best spare parts to have.

I'm just voicing my thoughts on this matter.

I do like the immediate remedy of just changing the carry-ammo for the OP's specific G26Gen4.

I have been using this stuff for years in all my Glocks. 

8A5371E0-48CE-48FA-A4CB-EF68689526A9.jpeg