Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Yep. 

I got a Lotus Elan in an insurance lot bid long ago.  But, it didn't look anything like that. 

It was Moss Green and a very tight fit tiny little two seater with a large center high center tunnel.  It also had a Styrofoam bumper painted silver (it looked cheesy, but I guess it was for weight distribution.

Anyway, it had a broken A arm in the right rear and we priced the replacement A arm at $5,000 just for parts.

We didn't even take it home, but sold it to a friend for a couple hundred over our cost.

He later said he Arc Welded the A arm, and sold it for $5,000.

ADDED:  IIRC this was in the early/middle 60's.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I got a Lotus Elan in an insurance lot bid long ago.  But, it didn't look anything like that. 

It was Moss Green and a very tight fit tiny little two seater with a large center high center tunnel.  It also had a Styrofoam bumper painted silver (it looked cheesy, but I guess it was for weight distribution.

Anyway, it had a broken A arm in the right rear and we priced the replacement A arm at $5,000 just for parts.

We didn't even take it home, but sold it to a friend for a couple hundred over our cost.

He later said he Arc Welded the A arm, and sold it for $5,000.

They were fun cars and handled great. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric said:

They were fun cars and handled great. 

That's what everybody told us, but we didn't want to invest that much in a car that would still be looking for an appreciative owner.

We wanted something that had more wide appeal, easier to sell and quicker.\

Remember the typical car owner in Minnesota askes first, how is it in snow!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Can you drive from the right side OK? I don't think I've ever done it but I think it would take some learning, esp. in the US.

Ok, I’ve never done it. So I have a stupid question

are the brake and throttle reversed?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Ok, I’ve never done it. So I have a stupid question

are the brake and throttle reversed?

Rural mail carriers usually drive on the right. Some manage by cross reaching wheel and brakes. Others add a “driver training kit” which puts duplicate steering wheel and pedals on the right side. Others buy surplused USPS delivery vehicles with right side drive. Substitute driver on my route for awhile had a right hand drive Jeep which she bought from another carrier. Don’t know whether it came from the factory that way or was converted. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:07 PM, railfancwb said:

Anyone know of a car built for streets and highways which used an Offenhouser?

I'm surprised that very few people ever put one in a street rod. I've never seen one. A  a twin overhead cam, four-cylinder, four-valve-per-cylinder 220 cu in engine capable of producing 2 Hp per cubic inch or more with supercharging would be perfect for a light weigh street rod and the "cool" factor would be amazing.

3od.jpg