Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.a50dc1e65f8f2b29d0e5eaa37493c942.png

When I see a picture of a "Vette" it reminds me of the time I was following a 427 Stingray while he was negotiating a smooth tight curve in a major city street.  The road was wet from a rain and he was negotiating the curve in a series of short straight line segments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's something that really isn't a car or a truck but it isn't a train either.  Trains have to run on a track and there is n way of steering them. This thing can go off road and can be steered the same way a caterpillar tractor is. This is a Lombard Steam Log Hauler and was used to haul sleds full of logs in the snow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_Steam_Log_Hauler

4ur-lombard.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Here's something that really isn't a car or a truck but it isn't a train either.  Trains have to run on a track and there is n way of steering them. This thing can go off road and can be steered the same way a caterpillar tractor is. This is a Lombard Steam Log Hauler and was used to haul sleds full of logs in the snow.

4ur-lombard.jpg

Thanks. OldSchool isn't just my name.....

But, now days a '03 Cat D7 Dozer/Caterpillar Tractor ranks as old in my work field. I was bummed when 'the company' let it go. Needed some work, but with a few grand and some help from a Cat Tech..... we'd have had that machine in great shape. The machine operators would have liked it.

Edited by *OldSchool*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4ur-lombard.jpg.042ab56e8ae3943792d9d73f3c06cb44.jpg

There has been a series of articles in recent “Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading” issues about how to build a working miniature. Steam powered, but probably lower boiler pressure than the prototype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Borg warner said:

benz0.jpg

Wankel inspired a lot of new concept cars in that era. All but Mazda failed to deliver, when Wankel failed to deliver.

Not nearly as cool as the pictured Mercedes, or even the Mazda, but one other did get to market, but powered by an inline six. The AMC Pacer. It was actually a good car, but never caught on. Mainly because it had the appearance of a rounded off Gremlin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmohme said:

Wankel inspired a lot of new concept cars in that era. All but Mazda failed to deliver, when Wankel failed to deliver.

Not nearly as cool as the pictured Mercedes, or even the Mazda, but one other did get to market, but powered by an inline six. The AMC Pacer. It was actually a good car, but never caught on. Mainly because it had the appearance of a rounded off Gremlin.

The car originally had a 4 rotor Wankel that put out 350 hp but M-B eventually found that they could not overcome the problems inherent to the Wankel which were that  have a low thermal efficiency as a result of a long combustion chamber resulting in unburnt fuel making it to the exhaust. They also have problems with rotor sealing as a result of uneven temperatures in the combustion chamber since combustion only occurs in one portion of the engine. Oil consumption is also a problem, as oil needs to be injected to add lubrication and help keep the rotor sealed. Fuel consumption is also a problem and so are emissions and M-B could not successfully work around these problems so th rotary engine was abandoned.

I always liked the AMC Pacer and it was available with an optional 304 cubic inch V-8 engine and a 4 speed and could have been a genuine muscle car with the addition of AMC's hottest 401 V-8.

Amc pacer7.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

The car originally had a 4 rotor Wankel that put out 350 hp but M-B eventually found that they could not overcome the problems inherent to the Wankel which were that  have a low thermal efficiency as a result of a long combustion chamber resulting in unburnt fuel making it to the exhaust. They also have problems with rotor sealing as a result of uneven temperatures in the combustion chamber since combustion only occurs in one portion of the engine. Oil consumption is also a problem, as oil needs to be injected to add lubrication and help keep the rotor sealed. Fuel consumption is also a problem and so are emissions and M-B could not successfully work around these problems so th rotary engine was abandoned.

I always liked the AMC Pacer and it was available with an optional 304 cubic inch V-8 engine and a 4 speed and could have been a genuine muscle car with the addition of AMC's hottest 401 V-8.

Amc pacer7.jpg

It also had  a very comfortable ride. Better than the father in laws Town Car actually. It was not a pleasant car to work on though.

• Like 2