Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

I never really liked the 32 Ford "HighBoy" roadsters but I liked them better than the coupes. Mostly I like the fat fender cars. But one day I was looking at a 32 ford HighBoy at a car show and I realized that these things had a really good power-to weight ratio and I started likeing them. but I've always like them better when they had some kind of engine that was more interesting than the standard small block Chevy. I like to se something less common like a nailhead Buick or a 472 Cadillac  or even a 427 Ford Hi-riser which is extra cool because it's a Ford engine in a Ford car.  More common, but much more to my liking than a Chevy engine would be a Chrysler hemi.

I also like the Flathead Ford and Mercury engines but they didn't put out very much horsepower by modern standards. An exception would be a Flathead Ford or mercury supercharged, with Ardun overhead valve conversion heads. The Ardun heads were developed in the late 40's by Zora Arkus-Duntov who was the man behind th Chevy Corvette. Eric posted a picture of a HighBoy roadster with a supercharged flathead with Ardun heads that I will re-post here by way of illustration.

But the one thing I think would be totally amazing to do with one of these Highboy roadsters would be to put an Offenhouser 4 cylinder Indy Car engine in one. These engines were 251 cubic inches with dual overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder and the head was the same casting as the block with the lower end separate. This meant the engine could never blow a head gasket no matter how high the compression. They used Hillborn fuel injectors and put out about 450 horsepower with 15:1 compression. I've seen a lot of hotrods over the years but I have never seen on with an Offenhauser engine so it would be totally unique in all the world.

282c.JPG

280.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

I never really liked the 32 Ford "HighBoy" roadsters but I liked them better than the coupes. Mostly I like the fat fender cars. But one day I was looking at a 32 ford HighBoy at a car show and I realized that these things had a really good power-to weight ratio and I started likeing them. but I've always like them better when they had some kind of engine that was more interesting than the standard small block Chevy. I like to se something less common like a nailhead Buick or a 472 Cadillac  or even a 427 Ford Hi-riser which is extra cool because it's a Ford engine in a Ford car.  More common, but much more to my liking than a Chevy engine would be a Chrysler hemi.

I also like the Flathead Ford and Mercury engines but they didn't put out very much horsepower by modern standards. An exception would be a Flathead Ford or mercury supercharged, with Ardun overhead valve conversion heads. The Ardun heads were developed in the late 40's by Zora Arkus-Duntov who was the man behind th Chevy Corvette. Eric posted a picture of a HighBoy roadster with a supercharged flathead with Ardun heads that I will re-post here by way of illustration.

But the one thing I think would be totally amazing to do with one of these Highboy roadsters would be to put an Offenhouser 4 cylinder Indy Car engine in one. These engines were 251 cubic inches with dual overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder and the head was the same casting as the block with the lower end separate. This meant the engine could never blow a head gasket no matter how high the compression. They used Hillborn fuel injectors and put out about 450 horsepower with 15:1 compression. I've seen a lot of hotrods over the years but I have never seen on with an Offenhauser engine so it would be totally unique in all the world.

282d.JPG

280.jpg

In the middle 50's my town police got a court order against a young man to get rid of a custom 32 Rod, V8 powered, after he outran them many times and they couldn't match the performance to stop him during the "event".  We had different rules in my town back then.

Edited by janice6