M&P Shield 9mm

ivanwi11iams

A few months ago, I switched to a M&P Sheild, 9mm. This was from a Glock 23, 4th Gen. I wanted something smaller for CCW. I felt my Glock printed too much, plus I felt it 'heavy'.

When some money presents itself, I might have to buy a Glock 19, just to keep at home. I still like that weapon! 

• Like 2

The S&W Shield is an excellent handgun. Both very concealable and very shootable. While not inexpensive, I picked up two Magfix basepads and two Magguts +1 springs/followers to swap out the factory 8 round mags. So now both mags are 9 rounders in a very short package (unlike most other companies +2's). I like the Shield even more now.

• Like 2

I think the 9mm Shield is a great IWB sidearm.  Mine is 99.9% trustworthy.  Damn it is accurate.

But it's too big for pocket carry and it prints a bit with its acute corners.  So for pocket carry it is still my J-frames or a Ruger LC9 all of which have very similar triggers and rounded edges.

For the last 2 years I’ve been splitting my carry time between an LCP and a G23, recently I added a shield9 and it’s all I hoped it to be as far as weight and shoot-ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm back on the hunt for a 2.0 9mm now. I've got a P365 with a couple hundred rounds through it and while mine hasn't really started exhibiting too many bad signs of potential failure, I'm still very concerned about it. My heart would drop if I really had to defend my life and after one shot the trigger completely died. It sucks sooooo bad because this thing carries so comfortably for having 10+1 capacity.

10 hours ago, Mr. Black said:

This is one of my most favorite CCW handguns.     My wife stole mine.    I am thinking about buying another.     I've been carrying a G26 instead and it's honestly like carrying a brick in comparison.

I went the other way myself. My EDC went from an SR9c (wonderful gun) to the Shield when I decided to move away from a manual safety. The Shield was also a wonderful pistol, but I missed having a double stack, so I picked up a G26. Love that gun. Sure it's thicker than the Shield, but the Shield is taller which matters more for concealability, IMO.

I have mixed feelings about the Shield.  I got two for us early on.  They were great for awhile, but I think as they were shot more the recoil springs started wearing out prematurely.  I went onto the S&W site to order new recoil assemblies and did not see them listed for the Shield.  I called S&W Customer Service and was told that they were out of stock and that S&W was not maintaining a back order list.  In other words, go pound rocks.  I took this to mean S&W had a hidden recall going on.  I ended up buying recoil assemblies made by a third party and the pistols work fine.  This was a few years ago so I am sure the situation has been resolved on the newer Shields, but this incident left me with a distrust of S&W semi-autos and their customer service in general.

That's very odd. I bought a Shield the day they hit store shelves and 3 more since. That original one has well over 4k rounds through it and is still running like a champ. The other 3 have been trouble free as well (Shield M1.0 manual safety, Shield M1.0 no safety, Shield M1.0 PC Ported, Shield M2.0) and they all have their original recoil assemblies. My department also issues the Shield for plain clothes administrators a couple small handed investigators, never had a single issue with any of them.

While I prefer the Glock 43 nowdays, the Shield is a solid gun. I've had mine since they first came out in 2012.  I've never had a problem with it. I carried it for about 3 years. It has several thousand rounds through it. The trigger has smoothed out nicely since I first got it. 

Friends of mine that have Shields love them and I cannot tell you how many times I’ve come unbelievably close to buying one but I’ve ccw’d either a Glock 19 or a J-frame S&W (warmer months) for so long and I admittedly hate change. :$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just won an auction for a NIB Shield 2.0 9mm...didn't expect to win it for that price but whatever. Guess I should have it by Thursday and then I'm gonna spend some time at the range on Friday putting it and my P365 to use!

• Like 1

I guess it's all about perspective. I had a Shield 45. It was a great shooter and felt great in my hands. Got a wild hair and sold it to fund a P365. I became concerned when all the issues being reported even though mine ran fine. I sold the P365, got my money back on it and got a used Shield 40 for a real bargain. It feels real good, shoots dead on and carries very nicely in a Vedder IWB. I have Trijicon night sights coming for it. Will get them on this weekend. I installed Talon grips and put them on all three 7 rd mags to keep those pesky spacers in place. This is now my off duty carry. It will do everything I need, especially once I retire at the end of this year.

Edited by Smokey613