opinions on a 10mm platforms

DUBSY

I want an entry level gun for 10mm. I need to stay in the Glock price range. I own and shoot Glocks in .40 and I own and shoot .45 in Glocks and 1911. I'm also set up to reload for .40 and thought reloading for 10mm might be fun. My thoughts up to now have been focused on semi's but I guess an argument could be made in favor of revolvers as they probably are easier on the brass. My only 1911 type gun is a Rock Island in .45 and I like it a lot. I haven't seen much internet buzz for the RI in 10mm but I've seen a lot for the newer Glock models in 10mm. My purpose is anything but concealed carry. Which are my best options in my price range? Thanks in advance.

I own a G29 and G40. The G29 is fat and unbalanced for a sub compact, even a pinky extension doesn't do the trick for me. Carried it for a while and its just too beefy and heavy. Turned into a nighstand gun. Actually below pillow gun. Since you are not going to carry it, I also suggest the G20. The G40 would be nice for the woods or for hunting.

Now, Ruger came out wit the Redhawk in 10mm. Very nice revolver, but I wish they would have used the smaller GP-100 frame. And I'm no fan of moonclips or cases being stuck.

A Colt Delta Elite would be great but they will run you $1k plus.

• Like 1

The Glock 20 is excellent. I traded my model 20 for the Glock model 40, which is great, but sure miss the model 20. I also have a Kimber and Colt in 10mm, but I recommend the Glock over the 1911 style 10mm pistols. The Glock 10mm pistols in my experience just seem to be able to shoot all the different verities of 10mm ammo, from mild to wild without a problem.

Since you state “anything but concealed carry” I’d recommend the G20 or G40 in semi-autos as they just flat-out work and can be easily tuned with springs and aftermarket barrels for hot-hardcast loads. 

For 1911s, CDNN had the Ruger SR1911 19mm for $699 this past week. Highly recommended although recoil will be noticeably stouter than either Glock. 

Revolver-wise, Ruger has 6 current models tho choose from. The least expensive are the 4 5/8” & 6.5” Blackhawk 10mm/.40 convertibles. I’ve seen them in the mid $600 range and they seem like a reloader’s dream. 

Next up is the GP-100 series in the Match Champion 4.2” and the brand-new Wiley Clapp 3” model. The GP-100 is a tank of a revolver and the 10mm seems like a perfect match.  I don’t mind moon-clips, so one of these is liable to make its way into my safe. To be honest though, I prefer adjustable sights on my revolvers, so the 3” model is pretty much out, and i really wish they had left the full underlug on the Match Champion, but that is personal taste. 

Lastly, Ruger has the Super Redhawk available in 6.5” & 7.5” barel lengths. I’m not entirely sure why Ruger chose to use their biggest and strongest revolver for 10mm, unless their engineers took the “nuclear”-level loads seriously, but if you want the strongest, there you go.

Edited by RandomGuy
Correcting wrong barrel length options on the Blackhawk

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I’d recommend the G20 or G40 in semi-autos as they just flat-out work

I looked into getting something in 10mm several years ago but I had to suspend my search due to lack of funding. It looks like not much has changed. For under $1k a Glock is still hard to beat in semi's. I hear the Glocks are capable of high round counts of heavy loads with out damage to the gun. Are they hard on the brass casings? The only thing that concerns me with that size Glock is my grip. I like my G22 and G23 (I shoot them often and I shoot them well) but they do push the envelope of a "just right grip" with finger on the trigger. I've never handled any of the newer Glocks that have replaceable panels. Does the G20 or G40 have those? And would they make that much difference for me? I may need to give the revolvers a look. Who knows I may like them. I use to say I'd never own an air weight .38 snubby until my son gave me one for fathers day. Turns out I really like it. Thanks to all who replied.

The Gen 4 G20 & G40 do have the backstraps that allow you to tailor the fit but they have the same dimensions as the SF models right out of the box. The good news is that most Glock dealers usually have a G20/G40 in stock so you should be able to handle one.

They can be a bit rough on the brass if you are running hot loads. The infamous Glock smiley does rear its head with high-pressure loads and a factory barrel. That said, Glock’s are the legos of handguns, so aftermarket barrels with full chamber support are all over the place as are springs, triggers, etc.

Durability is a hallmark of Glocks, but if I was going to run a lot of top-level loads, I’d upgrade the springs just to keep the slide velocity down a bit. For factory loads, I’m sticking with factory springs in my G20. 

One really nice feature of the revolvers is that the da/sa models will happily run .40 in moonclips so the same ammo you run in your 22/23 can be used (just make sure to scrub the charge holes before shooting hot 10mm so pressure doesn’t spike). The Blackhawk goes a step further with a separate .40 cylinder and no need for moonclips. As addictive as revolvers are, there’s just something about the single-action models that ramps it up even more. 

I traded a Glock 30 (45acp) for a Glock 20 (10mm) and was concerned the G20 was too big, I've never had anything that big. Well, I absolutely LOVE it, and my wife love shooting it too!! It's obviously not a CCW weapon, but an excellent home defense, range, or hunting gun!

I own a Glock 40 MOS and a Sig 1911 in 10mm, both are fantastic.  I got a smoking deal on the Glock and couldn't pass it up.  While I love both, I think a Glock 20 is probably the most realistic choice and it can be had for a pretty good price these days.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, crockett said:

I own a G29 and G40. The G29 is fat and unbalanced for a sub compact, even a pinky extension doesn't do the trick for me. Carried it for a while and its just too beefy and heavy. Turned into a nighstand gun. Actually below pillow gun. Since you are not going to carry it, I also suggest the G20. The G40 would be nice for the woods or for hunting.

Now, Ruger came out wit the Redhawk in 10mm. Very nice revolver, but I wish they would have used the smaller GP-100 frame. And I'm no fan of moonclips or cases being stuck.

A Colt Delta Elite would be great but they will run you $1k plus.

Ruger does offer a GP-100 Match Champion in 10mm.

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/specSheets/1775.html

I'm on the hunt for one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

I believe my S&W 610 has a 6" barrel.  But they are going for stupid prices now on the used market.

I saw that.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/437149/toledo-ohio-handguns-for-sale--s-w-610-1-classic-10mm-

Tempting!

I still have the 6" GP-100 in .327 Federal Magnum on my purchase list. That would be my 3rd. And while we are at it, also a stainless steel Python in 6 or 7".

I love my Gen 4 20. It has become my everyday carry.

I have looked at the SR1911 in 10 mm, but have just never cared for 1911s, so looking is all I have done.

Sorry to change the subject, but I noticed the Welsh Cardigan Corgi as your avatar. I have Cardigans too. Great little/big dogs!

I was able to fire an 10mm EAA Witness, 10mm Colt and G20 & G29 before deciding. I fell in love with the Gen 4 G20 and have not looked back. Only problem is chasing all the brass but I'm used to that.

Try as many as you can and get what feels best to you. If you already like the Glock platform I suspect a G20 may be in your future.

• Like 2