NO LOVE FOR THE GLOCK 42?

moaat100yards

Having owned an early model, mine would stovepipe no less than twice (sometimes more) with every magazine (4) regardless of ammo type.

While I understand the flaws have since been corrected, I lost total faith in that model.

Edited by Leigh1964
  • Like 1

I had one of the earlier 42's and it was problematic.  Ended up returning it to Glock and after updating it, sold it a short time later.  Just left a bad taste in mouth and knew I would never trust it.  Again this was early on and a lot of field tester were suggesting different things to fix the multiple problems and after 700 plus rounds and multiple suggestions to fixes, we started seeing updated parts, mags, etc. from Glock.  Glock did pay the postage both ways and fix the issues, but after all the frustrations and rounds sent down range, I just couldn't even hold it without ill feelings.  So down the road it went.  Now a days, it seems like I am trying to find ways to carry larger pistols and even though I do own a couple small .380's and SS 9mm's, they just don't see much carry time.  About the smallest pistol I carry with any regularity now is a Shield .45 and most of the time it is a Glock 19.  For the last month or so it had been a new Glock 17.  I never thought I would be able to carry a full size pistol concealed, but it is definitely doable. The only trouble I have is when my skinny ass is sitting in a chair the slide is between my legs and also muzzle down on the chair.  The grip does give a slight bit of printing with AIWB carry, right where a belt buckle would be, but it goes unnoticed or more than likely the waist line of a middle age guy goes unnoticed, pistol bump or not.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Leigh1964 said:

Having owned an early model, mine would stovepipe no less than twice (sometimes more) with every magazine (4) regardless of ammo type.

While I understand the flaws have since been corrected, I lost total faith in that model.

I lost my faith when Glock introduced the 43 :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, hoppyjr said:

Just as 9mm ammo has improved over the last 30 years, so has the .380. I carried a PPK off-duty for years and a J-frame as a backup on the job. I always felt the .38 was better suited to self defense, but with modern .380 ammo + the ease of reloading, I think it’s viable as a daily carry gun.

The plan is to pick up a 42, function test it, and outfit my dad. He currently carries a 43, but as age sets in (he’s creeping up on 80) I can see the value of the 42 as his EDC. That the 42 is a bit smaller, lighter, and slimmer will make it that much easier for him to carry.

I just today compared the 42 & 43 and I was impressed.

OP: sorry to hear of your medical issues. I hope you fully recover and enjoy many years shooting that 42.

I don't think the 380 ammo has improved as much as the 9mm ammo has. With the 380, it doesn't develops enough velocity to give you 100 percent reliable expansion, but then if it does expand it doesn't penetrate as well. I think the best defensive ammo for the 380 is the Underwood 380 ACP +P 90 Grain Xtreme Penetrator with the Phillips-head bullet. since that bullet is basically an FMJ, it will give good penetration.  No expansion, but the fluted projectile is suppose to disrupt tissue. And if it doesn't, at least you can depend on it to penetrate. That's why I've always thought FMJ ammo was the best defensive ammo for and I don't thin the newer ammo has changed that much except for maybe the Hornady XTP which is suppose to give adequate penetration with some penetration.

Unlike the Phillips-head ammo in other calibers, this one doesn't give up bullet weight to gain velocity. Instead they just load it to Plus+P levels and it supposedly does 1200 fps.\with a 90 grain bullet. The Glock 42 is actually the best platform for this load, but I'd still rather have a 9mm since there are some 9mm's that are not much larger than a G42 such as the Kahr PM9, the Kimber Micro9 and the Sig 938. The Sig P365 would also be good but at the present time I wouldn't trust one of those as a carry gun.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, EddyStone said:

For the Glock fans, I recently received an Email from Wolf Distributors announcing a 9x18 Makarov replacement barrel for your G42.  In the meantime take a look at the Sig P938 in 9mm.  Easier to pocket carry and a sweet 1911 style 9mm.  I forget that it's there.

I pocket carry a Crimson Trace Green laser equipped  P938.

I am BIG into 9x18 Makarov, having 17 East German, Russian and Bulgarian Makarovs and a number of CZ 9x18 and a WHOLE LOT OF different brands of 9x18 ammo.

In other words, I know my way around the 9x18 guns and ammo.

I have two G42's.

I got the 9x18 barrel for the G42.

After MANY rounds and a LOT of "tinkering" with the 9x18 barrel in the two G42's, the guns still seldom fire a couple magazines without jamming.

I was shooting the guns again just a couple weeks ago.  With the same results.

In other words, unless you like "tinkering", and aren't too concerned that you might be wasting your money, you might want to pass on the 9x18 barrel for the G42.

Edited by M2 Carbine

• 4 months later...

I picked up a 42 a few months ago (first Glock). I had read that 380 ammo was  more expensive than 9mm. After a little looking around, I found it to be less expensive for high quality. It was a toss up between the 42 and the 43. I found the 42 to be the perfect carry size for me and I love the way it shoots.

I had one of the early ones and it was very easy to shoot and mine was reliable, never needed any of the “upgrades,” but I sold it simply because I never ccw’d it or carried it to the range much and it was an extra caliber I had to “stock.” 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, M2 Carbine said:

I pocket carry a Crimson Trace Green laser equipped  P938.

I am BIG into 9x18 Makarov, having 17 East German, Russian and Bulgarian Makarovs and a number of CZ 9x18 and a WHOLE LOT OF different brands of 9x18 ammo.

In other words, I know my way around the 9x18 guns and ammo.

I have two G42's.

I got the 9x18 barrel for the G42.

After MANY rounds and a LOT of "tinkering" with the 9x18 barrel in the two G42's, the guns still seldom fire a couple magazines without jamming.

I was shooting the guns again just a couple weeks ago.  With the same results.

In other words, unless you like "tinkering", and aren't too concerned that you might be wasting your money, you might want to pass on the 9x18 barrel for the G42.

That's too bad that Lone Wolf can't make a 9x18 Mak barrel that is a drop-in. I've heard similar comments from others who've tried one of these barrels and some have tried  contacting Lone wolf but with unsatisfactory results.

I have Polish P64 and I've used the 9mm Makarov 115 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose ammo in it that develops 1000 fps and 255 ftlbs and as soon as I heard that LW was making these barrels I was interested enough to want to buy a G42 just so I could shoot this ammo. But first I waited to hear how well the barrels worked and since I heard tha tthey were nothing but trouble I never got a G42. 

The Glock 42 is a little large for a 380 and for the size of the gun I'd rather have a 9mm and the Kahr PM9 and CM9 is pretty damn close to that size. When the G42 first came out I was very disappointed that it wasn't a 9mm, and then when the G43 came out I was disappointed that it wasn't closer to the size of the G42 like the Kahr is.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, Borg warner said:

With the 380, it doesn't develops enough velocity to give you 100 percent reliable expansion.

Instead they just load it to Plus+P levels and it supposedly does 1200 fps.

That's an outdated myth. 1,200 FPS will expand many different HP, and penetrate plenty within FBI spec.

My last upload pushed the 90gr Xtreme Penetrator at 1,380 FPS out of my G42. Didn't take pictures. Here my previous load at 1,290 FPS.

PS: I can push the .380 Xtreme Defender well past 1,400 FPS out my Glock.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by crockett

41 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

I just don't trust .380 enough to carry one.  Hell, I barely acknowledge that 9mm is adequate.  

I found the 43 with 9mm a little to heavy for pocket carry. The 42 .380 was a better fit as I would be more likely to carry it. 

3 minutes ago, Duluth said:

I found the 43 with 9mm a little to heavy for pocket carry. The 42 .380 was a better fit as I would be more likely to carry it. 

I would never fault someone for their reasons for carrying a particular pistol or caliber.  It's just not for me.  I get the attraction of carrying a pocket pistol and it makes sense.  It's why I bought a Shield and then an XDS.  But the same things that make pocket pistols attractive are the same things that make me uncomfortable potentially relying on one for self-defense.

In my area, the one time I was even remotely close to an incident was a couple of years ago in which a person went to a local Arby's and started shooting.  My parents, my brother, and I would often meet at that same Arby's for lunch.  Had we been there at the time, with the distances involved with our favorite table and where the perp started shooting, a pocket .380 would have been entirely inadequate for such an encounter.

In my area, I'm much less likely to be involved in a personal attack such as a mugging or carjacking than I am a public shooting involving an active shooter.  Hence my desire to acquire and train with a G19.

But in other areas where there are many more muggings and up close and personal type of incidents, then a .380 pocket gun makes sense. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

I would never fault someone for their reasons for carrying a particular pistol or caliber.  It's just not for me.  I get the attraction of carrying a pocket pistol and it makes sense.  It's why I bought a Shield and then an XDS.  But the same things that make pocket pistols attractive are the same things that make me uncomfortable potentially relying on one for self-defense.

In my area, the one time I was even remotely close to an incident was a couple of years ago in which a person went to a local Arby's and started shooting.  My parents, my brother, and I would often meet at that same Arby's for lunch.  Had we been there at the time, with the distances involved with our favorite table and where the perp started shooting, a pocket .380 would have been entirely inadequate for such an encounter.

In my area, I'm much less likely to be involved in a personal attack such as a mugging or carjacking than I am a public shooting involving an active shooter.  Hence my desire to acquire and train with a G19.

But in other areas where there are many more muggings and up close and personal type of incidents, then a .380 pocket gun makes sense. 

Excellent points.

I carry the 42 when I'm at my place of employment, so it would be up close and personal. I definitely need the deepest conceal I can get. I found the LCP too small and "snappy".

I do like the G19 . That's on my list to buy. The 42 was my first Glock. I'm very impressed with the brand. 

I'm happy to hear you didn't have to deal with the incident at Arby's. 

2 minutes ago, Duluth said:

Excellent points.

I carry the 42 when I'm at my place of employment, so it would be up close and personal. I definitely need the deepest conceal I can get. I found the LCP too small and "snappy".

My workplace is gun free.  I will not jeopardize my employment for the relatively tiny chance that I will need a firearm.

That being said, we had an employee that made some threats against other employees.  The local police were involved and an incident seemed imminent.  My boss asked if I had a firearm accessible in my private vehicle and I replied of course I did.  Allowed in the company handbook.  He said, "good".

1 minute ago, PNWguy said:

My workplace is gun free.  I will not jeopardize my employment for the relatively tiny chance that I will need a firearm.

That being said, we had an employee that made some threats against other employees.  The local police were involved and an incident seemed imminent.  My boss asked if I had a firearm accessible in my private vehicle and I replied of course I did.  Allowed in the company handbook.  He said, "good".

I work at a small family business. My bother owns the business and encourages me to carry. The company pays for half of my range time. 

We're in the retail liquor business but I don't want customers to know I'm carrying as some are sensitive  to firearms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crockett said:

That's an outdated myth. 1,200 FPS will expand many different HP, and penetrate plenty within FBI spec.

My last upload pushed the 90gr Xtreme Penetrator at 1,380 FPS out of my G42. Didn't take pictures. Here my previous load at 1,290 FPS.

PS: I can push the .380 Xtreme Defender well past 1,400 FPS out my Glock.

3.jpg

That's great that you can get those kinds of velocities out of your reloads but you're likely exceeding pressure levels for the 380 and the only gun you'd dare fire those kinds of reloads out of would be a Glock 42. Those kinds of +P+ loads would destroy any smaller .380s and might not even be safe for extended use in your G42.

That's why I wish that Glock had made the G43 only slightly larger than the 42. Then there's plenty of factory ammo that achieves greater than 1200 fps with even heavier bullets than what the 380 uses. and yes, 90 grain HP's out of a 380 will expand at 1200 fps but how many commonly available .380 factory loads develop 1200fps with a 90 grain bullet?

Edited by Borg warner

16 minutes ago, Duluth said:

Iv'e been using this in my G42. Frankly, I think it's a great round for up close and personal. Low recoil gets you right back on target. 67 cents a round and they run perfectly.

IMG_20181129_000813.jpg

That's probably some of the best ammo available for the 380 but it isn't doing any 1200 fps.  More like 1000. I'd still prefer the underwood +P loads that actually do 1200 fps, or better yet, a 9mm. that will drive bullets with greater mass to those same velocities and have been proven to work in a number of actual street shootings by Law enforcement.

Edited by Borg warner

14 minutes ago, Duluth said:

I like the Underwood one too. My concern is the exit. The Critical Defense are good for close quarter hits. I figure 13 inch penetration would be good enough with good shot placement. I wouldn't want to hit the neighbor.    

Anyone standing in close proximity to a bad guy shooting a gun at you is not likely to be your neighbor.  But that's another reason why I like the 9mm because it's been used in actual shootings by the police and they haven't had any problems with bullets going through the bad guy and hitting innocent bystanders.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this as I have a G42, have a bit of arthritis in my wrist and a poorly repaired RH thumb that was dislocated and...

Love my Glock 42..I've tried a G43, G26 and both are not fun, FOR ME. Owned a Ruger LC9S..really didn't like that at all..also a S&W642 and still own a Ruger LCP so....I shoot my G42 most of all. FTS(FunToShoot) is number one for me along with concealability and reliability. Add to that the HUGE advances in .380 ammo(Lehigh/Underwood Xtreme Defense)..I am a big fan of my G42..Only thing I did is replace the front sight with a Trigon one that's easier for these 68 year old, bifocaled eyes to see. 

Also have a G19 and G17..GREAT range guns..FTS, not as comfy as the G42 but still....

• Like 1

My g,4 G42 is a keeper.  W/ Clip draw, 9 shot mag = 10 shooter,  is no problem from bed rise to bed set.... 

I,, have carried my P3AT 10 shooter  for 8 years +.  Some one mentioned ,here.   I can get the thinner G43 with an extra mag to get to my minimum 10 shooter and it won't be chunky. (my reasons for no more double stacks.  Like the G26) 

This was going to be tomorrow.  BUT!  I'm hearing rumors that the G42 could become a 9mm at the next Shot Show....   Hmmmm???  OR if I stay with another G42 with Clip Draw and 9 shot mag or move P3AT to my other side. 

??????????  PS... I'm getting to rely on my 380 acp platform and my wife just bought her S&W 380 EZ and is showing all her shooter friends....Soon as it stops snowing we are going shooting...