Trigger Question

Centuriator

I hope this question doesn't "trigger" anyone. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I've been using and trying several aftermarket trigger options. First, I prefer flat face trigger shoes, so with that in mind... Second, I have Ghost, Apex, Overwatch installed on several of my Glocks. I do not like to swap out any springs, feeling that this may well place reliability at risk.

So, frankly, I can not really tell much appreciable difference between any of them.

Anyone else?

Then I read about "Johnny Glock" triggers and am intrigued, and also intrigued they use the OEM shoe, but shave it a bit so as to avoid the safety sticking out (something I really can't stand).

I'd appreciate any thoughts/observations from others about their experiences with Glock aftermarket triggers.

I have a G19 Gen 4 that had a horrible stock trigger so I ended going down a similar path and the two that I like best are the Apex and the Overwatch TAC triggers. To me they are pretty similar but the biggest difference I can tell between the two is the Apex seems to have a light curve to the trigger and the front face of the trigger is a little more forward in the "fire" position. The TAC trigger is flat and straight and seems to be set a little more to the rear. Depending on the size of one's hands and shooting finger length, one may like the trigger more forward or back a little. I purchased both and ended up keeping the TAC trigger and selling the Apex to a friend that liked it better.

The only other changes I made was switching to a Lightning Strike radiused Safety Plunger made of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel and a reduced power Safety Plunger Spring. I tried several different connectors (Ghost, Zev, Glock minus, etc) and liked the stock Gen 4 (dot) connector the best. It seemed to give me a more defined wall which I prefer. In my specific G19 that particular combination yields an average of 4.5 lb pull, a relatively short reset and passes the drop test.

Trigger preference is very subjective especially when it comes to the break preference. Some people like a rolling break while others prefer a defined wall (I am in that category). I've watched the Johnny Glock videos and he seems to have some really good triggers although I have never tried one. My biggest concern with triggers is that they are reliable, not too light and above all, pass the drop test. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:05 AM, Greg45FL said:

I have a G19 Gen 4 that had a horrible stock trigger so I ended going down a similar path and the two that I like best are the Apex and the Overwatch TAC triggers. To me they are pretty similar but the biggest difference I can tell between the two is the Apex seems to have a light curve to the trigger and the front face of the trigger is a little more forward in the "fire" position. The TAC trigger is flat and straight and seems to be set a little more to the rear. Depending on the size of one's hands and shooting finger length, one may like the trigger more forward or back a little. I purchased both and ended up keeping the TAC trigger and selling the Apex to a friend that liked it better.

The only other changes I made was switching to a Lightning Strike radiused Safety Plunger made of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel and a reduced power Safety Plunger Spring. I tried several different connectors (Ghost, Zev, Glock minus, etc) and liked the stock Gen 4 (dot) connector the best. It seemed to give me a more defined wall which I prefer. In my specific G19 that particular combination yields an average of 4.5 lb pull, a relatively short reset and passes the drop test.

Trigger preference is very subjective especially when it comes to the break preference. Some people like a rolling break while others prefer a defined wall (I am in that category). I've watched the Johnny Glock videos and he seems to have some really good triggers although I have never tried one. My biggest concern with triggers is that they are reliable, not too light and above all, pass the drop test. 

Hey there Greg. How is the drop test that you do performed? I googled it and found examples of actually dropping it on purpose or by accident. Do you use a rubber hammer to the back of the frame or slide? That's about all I can think of when I hear of a drop test. Thanks.

Centuriator, I've used the Kinetitech flat trigger shoe and I liked the feel better than curved OEM. I've switched back to OEM now and it feels good too. I ordered an adjustable trigger hoping to "learn" from the experience it brings. It costs some but I do learn from the options so I'm ok with paying for knowledge sometimes.

Edited by I Am Groot!

On 7/3/2018 at 2:39 AM, I Am Groot! said:

Hey there Greg. How is the drop test that you do performed?

There are a number of YouTube videos out there that show how to perform a drop safety test and it does not require you to hit it with a hammer, etc. I will post a couple of links below of how to "Drop Safety" test a Glock. First, let me say that I am not a Glock Armorer. I do have over 30 years experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer a lot of which was spent for a company that performed intricate CNC machining so I have a pretty in depth understanding of mechanics, tolerances etc. That being said, I believe that one of the key factors of Glock's Safe Action System is the amount of engagement the striker pedestal has with the rear of the trigger bar/crucifix. One of the better explanations on how this works is in an article written by Deus Ex Machina Ltd (manufacturer of the Gunfighter Trigger) and it can be found here:  https://www.customglockbarrels.com/drop-safety-info . Please note I have no affiliation with Deus Ex Machina Ltd and I have never even tried one of their Gunfighter Triggers.

The only way I know to check the amount of interface is by using a HALF slide cover plate, preferably a clear one, similar to those which come with Ghost connector kits. The HALF slide cover plate allows you to see up into the slide and visually determine the amount of interface. In the case of my G19 Gen 4, the interface appears to be better than 95% so I am very satisfied with it. One thing I have noticed about Glock is their manufacturing tolerances and component mating tolerances are all over the board. I have several friends that have the same exact Glock model I have and I am amazed at how much difference in the way the trigger feels, slide play, etc. between them. In fact, between us we purchased (3) identical Glock OEM triggers and each one has a different feel when installed in my G19 and it's the same way with my friend's G19's. Anyhow, I am going to post a picture which shows the engagement of the striker pedestal and rear of trigger bar/crucifix from the article listed above so you can see how it works. I hope this and the links help to explain not only the "Drop Safety" test, but how all of Glock's safety features work....

Links to "Drop Safety" testing:

Overwatch Precision - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MEVIhMz5E

Robar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRXZwslXoE

Deus Ex Machina LTD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxmlvj_vkk   and   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb85EH0w3jM

safety.jpg

clear_armorer_plate.jpg

Edited by Greg45FL
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Greg45FL said:

There are a number of YouTube videos out there that show how to perform a drop safety test and it does not require you to hit it with a hammer, etc. I will post a couple of links below of how to "Drop Safety" test a Glock. First, let me say that I am not a Glock Armorer. I do have over 30 years experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer a lot of which was spent for a company that performed intricate CNC machining so I have a pretty in depth understanding of mechanics, tolerances etc. That being said, I believe that one of the key factors of Glock's Safe Action System is the amount of engagement the striker pedestal has with the rear of the trigger bar/crucifix. One of the better explanations on how this works is in an article written by Deus Ex Machina Ltd (manufacturer of the Gunfighter Trigger) and it can be found here:  https://www.customglockbarrels.com/drop-safety-info . Please note I have no affiliation with Deus Ex Machina Ltd and I have never even tried one of their Gunfighter Triggers.

The only way I know to check the amount of interface is by using a HALF slide cover plate, preferably a clear one, similar to those which come with Ghost connector kits. The HALF slide cover plate allows you to see up into the slide and visually determine the amount of interface. In the case of my G19 Gen 4, the interface appears to be better than 95% so I am very satisfied with it. One thing I have noticed about Glock is their manufacturing tolerances and component mating tolerances are all over the board. I have several friends that have the same exact Glock model I have and I am amazed at how much difference in the way the trigger feels, slide play, etc. between them. In fact, between us we purchased (3) identical Glock OEM triggers and each one has a different feel when installed in my G19 and it's the same way with my friend's G19's. Anyhow, I am going to post a picture which shows the engagement of the striker pedestal and rear of trigger bar/crucifix from the article listed above so you can see how it works. I hope this and the links help to explain not only the "Drop Safety" test, but how all of Glock's safety features work....

Links to "Drop Safety" testing:

Overwatch Precision - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MEVIhMz5E

Robar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRXZwslXoE

Deus Ex Machina LTD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxmlvj_vkk   and   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb85EH0w3jM

safety.jpg

clear_armorer_plate.jpg

Greg. I am pleasantly surprised to see what you've posted here. Your explanation with links complement each other. Very well done.

Not only did this help me understand but also left me with no further questions.

This should be pinned or shown where more members can benefit from it.

Thank you very much.