Any other vintage N-frame nuts on here??

Valmet

Here are a couple to look at...

Model 24-3 3" 44Spl.

SW24-3_5.jpg

Model 28-2 4" 357 Mag.

SW-28-2.JPG

And I know you like blued with walnut - but some of us like both...

Model 657 3" 41 Mag.

S-W-657-R.JPG

A happy Independence Day to all!!

Bob S.

• Like 2

Oldest N-Frame I own is a 1976 Model 28-2 four-inch.  Absolutely love it.  I e
ven carry it sometimes to grand juries and other court stuff, and wear it to some training events.  Always gets looks and starts conversations!

I put Hogue grips on it and open carry it in a John O'Rourke tanned leather holster.

Highway Patrolman.jpg

Model28-2_Hogue.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like that Brazilian with the Tyler T-grip and the lanyard ring.  I have a Model 58 41 magnum with a Tyler T-grips but I don't have any good pictures of it but I need to take some because it's in nice condition.  The rifling in the barrel is so sharp that it cuts the jackets in Berry's plated bullets. and the cylinder stop was so tight it got stuck in the frame once and the gunsmith had to remove a slight burr on the edge of it.

I also have a model 28-2 Highway patrolman with a 6 inch barrel that has a lot of wear and has had a lot of rounds fired through it but is still solid and is an accurate shooter, the trigger I so smooth in DA and so light and crisp in SA that I suspect it's had  a trigger job but maybe it's just now broken in! I alos have a Lew Horton 3 inch model 24 44 special and it was one of the first guns wit the crush fit (Non-pinned) barrel and the barrel came unscrewed when I first got the gun back in the early 80's

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another favorite of mine that I've always wanted to own is a 38-44 "Outdoorsman" Prior to the introduction of the 357 Magnum, Smith & Wesson developed the 38-44 "Heavy Duty" and created a load for the gun that is what we might call today a +P+ load (158 grain bullet at 1,125 fps) and named it the 38-44 because it was a38 soecial load mean tto  be use only on guns built on the 44 frame, AKA, the 'N' frame. The Revolver known as the 38-44  Heavy Duty had a 5 inch barrel and fixed sights. A 4 inch barrel was optional an dteh following year Smith & Wesson introduced the 38-44 "Outdoorsman" with a 6 1/2 inch barrel an dadjus6table sights.

The 38-44 heavy duty lead to the development of the 357 magnum and the model 20 continued to be offered as a lower cost alternative to the 357 magnum. In 1957, the "Heavy Duty" fixed sight version was marketed as the Smith & Wesson Model 20 and the "Outdoorsman" with adjustable sights became the Smith & Wesson Model 23.

What has alwsy appealed to me about the 38-44 is it's potential as a target revolver. With a dedicated 38 special cylinder it would be slightly more accurate than firing 38 specials in a 357 magnum cylinder not only with target wadcutter loads, but with a very wide range of loads.

If I ever get one and it has the original grips, I will put those grips aside and replace them with some Smith & Wesson square butt N-frame target grips. I've done this with my Model 28 Highway patrolman which came with a set of Hogues. I couldn't stand to do it with my model 58 41 magnum and instead utilized a Tyler T-grip adaptor which works fine with that gun except with heavy magnum loads. That gun was designed to shoot the Lead SWC 950-1000  fps "Police" loads with those skinny service grips.

smiff280.JPG

Edited by Borg warner
  • Thanks 1