How do you get your caffeine?

Rabbi

Drank diet cokes for years. Drank coffee for about the last five. Quit last January. I had been on the road doing experiments and giving presentations and got tired of managing my caffeine intake. If I drank it too close to a presentation, I was jittery and nervous. If I was in the field and couldn't get to caffeine then I'd get headaches and feel like crap. I think my speed during my lectures was inconsistent, also. Some days, I'd get through 30-50% more material than usual.  I think it was also causing insomnia. I had a pretty terrible case of that over the last year or so. It's mostly gone now.

I wish I would've quit sooner because of my teeth. Cokes caused some serious acid erosion and the coffee caused moderately bad staining.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 2

I had a cup of coffee once.  A couple times a year I might have a cup of tea to be polite when it's offered.

I don't do caffeine.

Get a good night's sleep.  Get some exercise.  Breath deeply and enjoy the oxygen.  That's always worked for me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Glockzilla10mm said:

Same way I wish I could get my damn bacon! IV...LOL!

seriously though COFFEE!

Dry your bacon;grind it and use like dip or snort it!  Do I have to teach you everything!! :D

Warm coffee enema...THE FIRST POOP THREAD!!!!!!     where's Hannie!!! B|

• Like 1

16 oz mug of coffee upon waking. 16 oz thermos comes to work. I drink that by lunch half the time, always finish by two. 

In in the spring and summer I’ll drink energy drinks maybe more than I should but I don’t drink, do drugs, or smoke so I don’t worry. But I always rinse my mouth after as they’re super sugary. 

I can't stand coffee.  I'm a supertaster, which means that my perception of certain types of bitter removes my ability to enjoy coffee, beer, grapefruit...

But sweet tea, that is my jam.  I can't do unsweet tea, but unlike the case of coffee my tongue's tea-tribulation is soothed by sugar.  

I don't get much of a caffeine effect from tea, though.  Just enough to take the edge off of a headache, and little energy.  If I'm drowsy on a road trip, I turn to Gummiberry Juice5 Hour Energy.

13 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Tea. Lots of tea. 

I can easily drink a gallon of iced tea per day.  I brew my own.  I've been out of town, and now there are two gallons in the refrigerator, getting right.

The peppermint we used to grow in pots got loose into the yard, so now it grows wild EVERYWHERE, so it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do coffee, when at work if I have the time, I hand grind some BRC Beyond Black, and run that through a Bunn automatic, a little honey and Milk makes a nice brew.

At home I hand grind some Beyond Black and make it in a Chemex, with Honey, Milk, and a touch of Hersheys syrup.

Trying to give up Cokes for the 4th time.

like Tea sweet, unsweet, half and half, and Arnold Palmers, for Iced tea. I like a good Earl Grey (black not herbal) or other Black Tea if drinking Hot, Cannot do much Green tea, as it gives me jitters.

I am a sixty-four year old man who has never even so much as tried anything containing caffeine.

That includes all liquids such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks or what have you.

And all foods/solids such as chocolate, snack bars, gum, No-Doze, et cetera.

So, what is my beverage of choice?

Plain ol' water. Straight out of the faucet. No ice or refrigeration is required for me to enjoy 10-12 glasses per day.

Bottled water only if I am attending a meeting/conference/class/gym session and it would be rude/impolite/inconvenient to keep jumping up to head to the nearest water fountain.

Whenever I have a bowl of cereal or oat meal I usually tip up the bowl to finish off the milk in the bowl. I stopped drinking milk strictly as a beverage when I was a young child.

And, for a rare treat, I will occasionally enjoy a glass of caffeine-free, fresh squeezed, orange juice or lemonade.

Why no caffeine, you ask?

Well, even though I am now retired, even when I was in school (K thru 12), college, or working everyday for a living,

I never let the daily stressors of life get to me to the extent that I couldn't get a good night's sleep. 

Therefore, I always wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day without the need of a stimulant.

Also - I grew up not having two dimes to rub together. So I have always been frugal.

Frugal (some might call it cheap) to the extent of being unwilling to spend my $ on highfalutin beverages.

o.O

Edited by Number Six
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Number Six said:

I am a sixty-four year old man who has never even so much as tried anything containing caffeine.

That includes all liquids such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks or what have you.

And all foods/solids such as chocolate, snack bars, gum, No-Doze, et cetera.

So, what is my beverage of choice?

Plain ol' water. Straight out of the faucet. No ice or refrigeration is required for me to enjoy 10-12 glasses per day.

Bottled water only if I am attending a meeting/conference/class/gym session and it would be rude/impolite/inconvenient to keep jumping up to head to the nearest water fountain.

Whenever I have a bowl of cereal or oat meal I usually tip up the bowl to finish off the milk in the bowl. I stopped drinking milk strictly as a beverage when I was a young child.

And, for a rare treat, I will occasionally enjoy a glass of caffeine-free, fresh squeezed, orange juice or lemonade.

Why no caffeine, you ask?

Well, even though I am now retired, even when I was in school (K thru 12), college, or working everyday for a living,

I never let the daily stressors of life get to me to the extent that I couldn't get a good night's sleep. 

Therefore, I always wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day without the need of a stimulant.

Also - I grew up not having two dimes to rub together. So I have always been frugal.

Frugal (some might call it cheap) to the extent of being unwilling to spend my $ on highfalutin beverages.

o.O

You’re crowing about something but I can’t quite figure out what. It’s beyond your caffeine virginity. It’s a special kind of piety but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTMac said:

I can't stand coffee.  . . .  If I'm drowsy on a road trip, I turn to Gummiberry Juice5 Hour Energy.

If I become drowsy on a road trip, that is my signal to stop driving, and call it a day. 

After a good night's sleep, I am raring to go the next day. :D

Obviously, I have never driven for a living (such as an over-the-road truck driver or as a traveling salesman).

So my road trips are for pleasure with no deadlines or need to arrive at Point B/C/D/E from Point A on a schedule. 

Edited by Number Six

2 minutes ago, NPTim said:

You’re crowing about something but I can’t quite figure out what. It’s beyond your caffeine virginity. It’s a special kind of piety but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

A special kind of piety? Maybe you cannot put you finger on it because there is NO hidden agenda?

I am merely stating the facts of my life experience to suggest why I do not drink beverages containing caffeine.

No where in my post did I cast aspersions or denigrate anyone who has a different life experience. 

Indeed, there was never any mention of anyone else at all . . .

By the way, my final comment regarding "highfalutin beverages" was meant to be taken as a joke. 

Hence the Emoticon.

Maybe I should refrain from any future attempts at humor?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Number Six said:

If I become drowsy on a road trip, that is my signal to stop driving, and call it a day. 

After a good night's sleep, I am raring to go the next day. :D

Obviously, I have never driven for a living (such as a over the road truck driver or as a traveling salesman)

so my road trips are for pleasure with no deadlines or need to arrive at Point B/C/D/E from Point A on a schedule. 

Definitely the wiser option.  Drowsy is probably the wrong word.  I don't drive when there's actual danger of me falling asleep, but there are certainly times when I'm tired and could be more alert.  For then, caffeine.

I'd prefer to just nap, but I'm not the sort that can sleep just any time, and I have never been able to sleep in a car seat.  

I've almost learned my lesson the hard way, unfortunately.  When I was not familiar with how sleep could overtake me during focus, I once snapped my eyes open as I turned off my signal while changing lanes in front of an 18 wheeler.   These days, I just try to never schedule trips that will have me driving tired.  

• Like 2