Favourite Rimfire Rifle?

Andyd

3 hours ago, DUBSY said:

29262492775_78ff772810_b.jpg

Is this a Savage mk2 fv/ sr with a Boyds stock? If so, do you run it suppressed? And do they still make them? I've been considering one of them as a host for my sparrow.

You are correct and I do use it suppressed. The gun still appears on the Savage website and I assume it's still available. 

• Like 1

Browning SA-22 takedown. These guns are slim, lightweight, superbly balanced and incredibly accurate for a take-down gun, I bought a Norinco copy years ago when they were still being important and was so impress3ed with it that I had to have the real thing. I found a Belgian grade 1 made in the mid sixties that was a little rough so I had it re-blued and refinished the stock myself using Tung oil, it turned out beautifully but I had already shot it and didn't like the trigger so the place that re-blued it did a trigger job for me and now it's perfect and is absolutely my favorite rimfire.

I love Brownings, I have a Belgian Hi-power and I've always wanted a BAR sporting rifle in either 338 or 7mm mag. I also like the Winchester re-issues made by Miroku. I have handled and fired the 1892 in 44 mag and the 1886 in 45-70 and I also like the Buckmark 22 rimfire pistols.

browning_SA22.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My current favorite is my "standard issue" scoped 10/22.  It's largely stock, except that I had a trigger job done and added a threaded barrel.  The only other rimfire rifle I have is a Ducks Unlimited Edition Marlin Model 990.  I got that one a year or two ago, and haven't shot it.  I can't decide whether to sell it or savage its collector's value by shooting it, or maybe even replacing the stock. 

willieH, I really like the looks of this plinker. I want to build The Squirrel Sniper, and that looks like just the ticket!

On 7/15/2018 at 8:45 AM, willieH said:

A couple of my favorate plinkers...

29262492775_78ff772810_b.jpg

On 8/16/2018 at 11:18 PM, willieH said:

You are correct and I do use it suppressed. The gun still appears on the Savage website and I assume it's still available. 

They are still available.  I've been looking for another .22 suppressor host (for when I eventually get my suppressor . . . ), and I've been eyeballing these, Ruger American Rimfires, and some CZs.  

Edited by Spats McGee
changing name of rifle

On 6/30/2018 at 6:21 PM, Faulkner said:

My favorite .22 rifle changes pretty often, its more like my favorite flavor of the month.   But in the long run, I keep coming back to my Browning BL-22 

174973619.jpg

I was going to post the same.    Love my BLR.

Although, that first rifle with the European stock is a work of art.

• Like 1

On August 18, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Borg warner said:

Browning SA-22 takedown. These guns are slim, lightweight, superbly balanced and incredibly accurate for a take-down gun, I bought a Norinco copy years ago when they were still being important and was so impress3ed with it that I had to have the real thing. I found a Belgian grade 1 made in the mid sixties that was a little rough so I had it re-blued and refinished the stock myself using Tung oil, it turned out beautifully but I had already shot it and didn't like the trigger so the place that re-blued it did a trigger job for me and now it's perfect and is absolutely my favorite rimfire.

I love Brownings, I have a Belgian Hi-power and I've always wanted a BAR sporting rifle in either 338 or 7mm mag. I also like the Winchester re-issues made by Miroku. I have handled and fired the 1892 in 44 mag and the 1886 in 45-70 and I also like the Buckmark 22 rimfire pistols.

browning_SA22.jpg

Had shotguns but this was my first rifle. Bought it new around 1965-66. You are so right in that it is an elegant and quality little rifle. Wish I knew what happened to it through the years and wish I still had it.

The 10/22 is my favorite, though not in stock form, but these days I shoot the S&W 15-22s more often... so maybe it's a tie. [emoji3]
How well dose the S&W 1522 work. I am thinking about getting one. Is 22LR enough to cycle the action reliably?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

On 10/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, Duramaxsky said:

How well dose the S&W 1522 work. I am thinking about getting one. Is 22LR enough to cycle the action reliably?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

They run great, in my experience. Can benefit from a better trigger the same as most stock ARs. 

It’s a tough call between my Savage MKII Heavy Barrel, and granddad’s Belgian made Browing .22 Take-down 

The Browning is beautiful, but has never been very reliable or accurate. 

The Savage is fugly IMO, but it is a true tack driver at 50 yards. Very consistent shooting rifle with a wide range of ammo. 

Not into scoped 22 LR. I like old school to peep sights. My son loves the MP 22 that looks like an AR, pump would be fun. Like golfing with a 22, you and your friends throw out range balls and you have to knock the ball close to a stake which is a “hole”, fun competition way better that shaving off millimeters on a paper group. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't have it yet, but thanks to you guys I now have a Savage Mark II FV SR on order through my local gun store.  As that will be my only 22 rifle, that will automatically qualify it as my favorite.

If the trigger is anything like the one on my 10FCP I've had for a couple years now, I'm certain that I will love it.  

• Like 1

Well, I don't have it yet, but thanks to you guys I now have a Savage Mark II FV SR on order through my local gun store.  As that will be my only 22 rifle, that will automatically qualify it as my favorite.

If the trigger is anything like the one on my 10FCP I've had for a couple years now, I'm certain that I will love it.  

You will love it and the trigger is nice. The factory Tupperware stock is junk. Entirely too flimsy. If you don't like a chasis, get on Boyd's and get you a real stock. Mine is the At-One but they offer quite a few.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 9/28/2018 at 5:55 AM, Spats McGee said:

My current favorite is my "standard issue" scoped 10/22.  It's largely stock, except that I had a trigger job done and added a threaded barrel.  The only other rimfire rifle I have is a Ducks Unlimited Edition Marlin Model 990.  I got that one a year or two ago, and haven't shot it.  I can't decide whether to sell it or savage its collector's value by shooting it, or maybe even replacing the stock. . . . .

One completely unnecessary update:  The 10/22 is still my favorite, at least for the time being.  I sold the 990, and bought another .22LR.  I've only been to the range with it once, but I'm really digging it.

RAR 002.jpg