Jump to content
Andyd

Favourite Rimfire Rifle?

Recommended Posts

10-22 takedown, copper edition or something like that, with tech sights, volquartsen trigger group with their mag release, trigger, and auto bolt release, a tandemkross extended chargin handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gunsmither said:

Great guns! I owned a .22 Short model 74 at one time. Really a fun gun!

Mine was a ".22 Short Model" too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, DUBSY said:

29262492775_78ff772810_b.jpg

Is this a Savage mk2 fv/ sr with a Boyds stock? If so, do you run it suppressed? And do they still make them? I've been considering one of them as a host for my sparrow.

You are correct and I do use it suppressed. The gun still appears on the Savage website and I assume it's still available. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browning SA-22 takedown. These guns are slim, lightweight, superbly balanced and incredibly accurate for a take-down gun, I bought a Norinco copy years ago when they were still being important and was so impress3ed with it that I had to have the real thing. I found a Belgian grade 1 made in the mid sixties that was a little rough so I had it re-blued and refinished the stock myself using Tung oil, it turned out beautifully but I had already shot it and didn't like the trigger so the place that re-blued it did a trigger job for me and now it's perfect and is absolutely my favorite rimfire.

I love Brownings, I have a Belgian Hi-power and I've always wanted a BAR sporting rifle in either 338 or 7mm mag. I also like the Winchester re-issues made by Miroku. I have handled and fired the 1892 in 44 mag and the 1886 in 45-70 and I also like the Buckmark 22 rimfire pistols.

browning_SA22.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CZ 452 Trainer, 10/22, Mauser Training rifle. There are so many to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current favorite is my "standard issue" scoped 10/22.  It's largely stock, except that I had a trigger job done and added a threaded barrel.  The only other rimfire rifle I have is a Ducks Unlimited Edition Marlin Model 990.  I got that one a year or two ago, and haven't shot it.  I can't decide whether to sell it or savage its collector's value by shooting it, or maybe even replacing the stock. 

 

willieH, I really like the looks of this plinker. I want to build The Squirrel Assassin, and that looks like just the ticket!

On 7/15/2018 at 8:45 AM, willieH said:

A couple of my favorate plinkers...

29262492775_78ff772810_b.jpg

 

 

On 8/16/2018 at 11:18 PM, willieH said:

 

You are correct and I do use it suppressed. The gun still appears on the Savage website and I assume it's still available. 

They are still available.  I've been looking for another .22 suppressor host (for when I eventually get my suppressor . . . ), and I've been eyeballing these, Ruger American Rimfires, and some CZs.  

Edited by Spats McGee
correcting model #

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 6:21 PM, Faulkner said:

My favorite .22 rifle changes pretty often, its more like my favorite flavor of the month.   But in the long run, I keep coming back to my Browning BL-22 

174973619.jpg

I was going to post the same.    Love my BLR.

Although, that first rifle with the European stock is a work of art.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 18, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Borg warner said:

Browning SA-22 takedown. These guns are slim, lightweight, superbly balanced and incredibly accurate for a take-down gun, I bought a Norinco copy years ago when they were still being important and was so impress3ed with it that I had to have the real thing. I found a Belgian grade 1 made in the mid sixties that was a little rough so I had it re-blued and refinished the stock myself using Tung oil, it turned out beautifully but I had already shot it and didn't like the trigger so the place that re-blued it did a trigger job for me and now it's perfect and is absolutely my favorite rimfire.

I love Brownings, I have a Belgian Hi-power and I've always wanted a BAR sporting rifle in either 338 or 7mm mag. I also like the Winchester re-issues made by Miroku. I have handled and fired the 1892 in 44 mag and the 1886 in 45-70 and I also like the Buckmark 22 rimfire pistols.

browning_SA22.jpg

Had shotguns but this was my first rifle. Bought it new around 1965-66. You are so right in that it is an elegant and quality little rifle. Wish I knew what happened to it through the years and wish I still had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m fortunate enough to have a number of “good ones,” Savage, Winchester, Remington, etc but have to say my overall go-to .22 is my Remington 572. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The 10/22 is my favorite, though not in stock form, but these days I shoot the S&W 15-22s more often... so maybe it's a tie.
How well dose the S&W 1522 work. I am thinking about getting one. Is 22LR enough to cycle the action reliably?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I had posted this but guess not. My NRA National Record setting Ballard with Eric Johnson 5 star barrel. Set record in 1953 at 47X.

IMG_20171127_104228.thumb.jpg.780b2fbf54936d930a5fe02f0e4d94d6.jpg

IMG_20171127_104207.thumb.jpg.81d3afc7a8a570d663583ae8ae93efec.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, Duramaxsky said:

How well dose the S&W 1522 work. I am thinking about getting one. Is 22LR enough to cycle the action reliably?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
 

They run great, in my experience. Can benefit from a better trigger the same as most stock ARs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a tough call between my Savage MKII Heavy Barrel, and granddad’s Belgian made Browing .22 Take-down 

The Browning is beautiful, but has never been very reliable or accurate. 

The Savage is fugly IMO, but it is a true tack driver at 50 yards. Very consistent shooting rifle with a wide range of ammo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this at the gun show today. Second hand like new. M&P 15-22. This may become my favorite rimfire.55eaedc1d51b9261d233d72a3215ddaf.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not into scoped 22 LR. I like old school to peep sights. My son loves the MP 22 that looks like an AR, pump would be fun. Like golfing with a 22, you and your friends throw out range balls and you have to knock the ball close to a stake which is a “hole”, fun competition way better that shaving off millimeters on a paper group. YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another of my favorites is the Remington Fieldmaster.

I bought mine several decades ago.

 

Remington Fieldmaster.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S/W Model 15/22.

The eotech mounted on the rail was used by a young Marine Sgt in the Sandbox about 10 years ago.  When he got home (family friend) he asked me if I wanted it. 

 

 

100_1376.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×