How often do you hit the range?

Glock19c

2-3 times a month in fall, winter and spring but as a firearms instructor for my department, quality range time for myself is tough to schedule in the warmer months when we do our quals and a big chunk of training.

During the school year - about once every 4-6 weeks (what I shoot depends on my mood and what I feel hasn't gotten enough attention lately). During vacations, I go once every 1-2 weeks (sometimes more if I'm taking different friends or my daughter is off with family). The amount of ammo depends on what I'm bringing and how much time I have to spend. If I know I have all day - I usually bring my SW 617 and GLOCK 19 AA kit and 7-800 round of ammo and shoot until the guns are too filthy to shoot anymore.

My wife bought me a nice pneumatic tired wagon so I could pull behind me all my needed stuff to the range.... which is in my side yard.  I can go back 135-yds and shoot steel or paper.

In spite of that, I probably don't for extended sessions go as often as I ought to.  But I can come home from work (or park half way down the driveway before work) and unlock a long gun or unholster something and blaze away with one mag, and then re-fill it and call it good.

I don't clean weapons after firing just a few rounds.  Pointless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I prob hit the range 3-4 times per month so prob 30-40 times per year. I belong to two “clubs” one is indoor and one is outdoor. I teach so I def have more opportunities in the summer. I shoot more 9mm, .38 Spl, and .45 than anything (and reload the latter two cartridges) but do like to experiment with my .243 handloads at the longer, outdoor range. 

I 've been gong once a week recently.  But, I've found that shooting once every month or two actually enables me to stay at a fairly proficient level when I'm too busy to go to the range much. 

I typically fire 100 center fire rounds per range visit. 

I totally got out of the habit of firing rimfire ammo because it got so hard to find for a while there.  But, I used to put it into the mix.

Edited by minervadoe

I guess I am on the opposite extreme of the guy who trains like a Navy SEAL. I hardly ever shoot. I have verified all my carry weapons are in reliable working order by running a few hundred rounds through them. I have no doubt they will work on the 201 and 202 rounds. Maybe a little more unsure of functionality if it's going to be the 2,001 and 2,002 rounds. When I do get out for the occasional range session, I don't seem to have any issues hitting the target at self defense distances under stress. I have had excellent training in the past, and I am analyzing shooting situations every day. I have always felt the game is in the mind more than the actuality of quickly deploying  a weapon and properly pulling the trigger; I never found that to be all that difficult once your technique/mechanics are settled. The willingness to do the deed is more of an issue that needs constant mental practice.  I keep the guns immaculately clean and lightly lubricated.  I'm sure more shooting makes you a better shooter, but good shooting with incorrect decisions can be very problematic.

Nothing, after all, is guaranteed either way you train.

It all comes down to a couple of very intense, chaotic seconds.

Anywho,  maybe I'll find out some day if I was correct or not.  We'll see - as President Trump often says!

NOT ENOUGH.

But as much as I can-which works out to 8-10 times yearly. Usually with my wife (who is improving rapidly and loves my 1911s) or my son-in-law. (Who also loves 1911s and is bugged that I sold my Colt CG without thinking to tell him.)

I have not shot alone since before my back injury in Nov. 2015. The added walking involved in setting targets and policing brass would be extremely difficult.

OTOH, I have a wife who is happy to police up brass. How cool is that? 

Off topic but I have found as I age that I am returning to my beginnings.  So now I shoot only what I shot almost 40 years ago...1911s and K-frames. No more Glocks, no More H&K no more Walther etc.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, DUBSY said:

50 rounds of .38 special every Saturday morning. I'm getting acclimated to the air weight platform. Slowly!

Trust me, it's not worth it. When you're my age your wrist doctor will be sitting in front of you, looking at your hands and shaking his head. "...not much we can really do for a permanent fix here."

Stick with steel frame revolvers.

Being retired and having a backyard range and a 100+ yard range in my woods, about 400 yards from the house,  I shoot three to six days a week.  Mostly I shoot just a few magazines at a time, but I may do this with several guns.

2076742801_52yards38Smith.JPG.7aae5eaa213bb80d13f1898a504f6878.JPG848342891_100yardkimbershooting3.JPG.ae6c85d495acd0e51ba6d57c0c43b324.JPG895817634_Backyardtargets.thumb.JPG.b3ba7f272b3b1d4765f72e4d93ab717a.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I've been shooting pretty much every Saturday for the last 7 years (primarily competitions).  I try to get to the range for practice at least once a month in addition to the matches. I go through around 160-200 rounds each match, plus practice visits so about 10,000 plus rounds per year.  My wife does about the same, so we average together around 20,000 rounds a year, maybe a little more.  When she started shooting a few years ago I had to upgrade from a Dillon Square Deal B to a Dillon 650 with case feeder.  I also have a custom "Mrs. Bullet Feeder".  She puts the bullets in the brass, I crank the handle.  Between us we can easily run around 600 rounds an hour.

I try to keep at least 20,000 primers and 20,000 bullets (match caliber) on hand at all time plus another 2-3000 rounds each for all the other calibers we shoot (.22, .45, .22-250, 300 Win Mag, 12 gauge, 9 mm, .556)

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

Usually on Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekends.  I put prolly 300 to 400 rounds of 9mm and close to 1200 rds of .22LR downrange weekly.  I know I have to be on some kind of "list" as I buy thousands of rounds monthly.  Recently bought 5000 rds Blazer 9mm for $0.17 per round delivered