Decline of GT; due to societal changes or site policy changes?

PNWguy

I hated the new layout - difficult on the eyes and had problems seeing it on my little monitor. On top of that, it just lost some of the appeal - more arguing, more politics, etc. I didn't know until much later that Eric sold the site - then it all sort of made sense to me. Honestly, I really don't spent much time over there any more (not that I ever really posted much to begin with). This site feels more like what I remember GT being like when I first joined.

18 hours ago, Patrice said:

Personally, I have always enjoyed both GT's okie corral and the political sub-forums, in that it provided me w/ a lot of links to news-stories of which I otherwise wouln't have had knowledge.

I miss the HerrGlock news story days. News on my phone just isn't nearly as good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:03 PM, ModGlock17 said:

IT isn't about a Political Forum, but about the newcomers to that site.

I've got reported for being a Racist in mentioning Rosenstein as a Jew, not a Muslim or Buddish.

I don't see Jew or Muslims is a race.  But I understand some newcomers, seems liberal to me, believe so.

Then Moderators reacted as if they are a Race.  Management is bending to the will of liberalism.  That's been happening over the last year or so.

I don't see Jews or Muslims as races either.....because they aren't. They are religions same as they have been for more than a thousand years for Islam, and several thousand for Judaism. Seeing them as religions doesn't fit the current racist agenda of the left in this country though, so somehow they have both been morphed to be treated as races. Similar to the way the terms fascist, Nazi, and racist have been twisted to fit the current agenda.

It's all just another divisive measure to further drive a wedge between a country of immigrants where difference of beliefs used to be welcomed.

Edited by Roger1079
  • Like 3

There has always been incivility but the growth of so-called social media has magnified it to the point that nearly everyone has to opine on virtually everything no matter how trivial or mundane. Politics and religion always result in heated arguments and the fact that these topics have crept into gun forums results in inevitable name-calling. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and cast aspersions and invective at people you don't really know and it should come as no surprise that such verbal venom is returned with equal fervor.

Conversation, as in face-to-face talk, is a lost art.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:25 AM, Rinspeed said:

I never a problem with him and lord knows I can be an asshat at times when I get backed into a corner.  

He does a pretty good job keeping the nonsense out of the Cop Talk forum... I'll give him that (or as good as you can)... but otherwise, I think he's a complete douchebag and he's the main reason I stopped posting in Carry Issues.

• Like 1

How about just how unstable the site has become over recent weeks? I was in the middle of making a comment just now when it crapped out with an "unexpected error - please try again later" dialog box. If anything is unreliable, it doesn't matter if it is a car or a website, sometimes it's just better to walk away rather than invest money or emotional energy. 

Belong to a half dozen sites over a couple of different interests. Not sure the phenomenon is new but what I view as a variation of "Trolling " is what I find most disturbing. Best described by an example. 

A couple years ago I was forced to do some field visits with one of our sales guys.   I am far from being a prude but this dude was wildly inappropriate in front of coworkers and clients. Same dude made it a point of talking about his favorite pastime. He'd get on Twitter type sites and attack trying to find the line of what would get him banned. He was proud of this behavior. 

I try to filter my posts by imagining that I'm one on one with someone who could and would kick my ass if I attacked them or theirs. A higher version of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything ". I sometimes do drift into heavy sarcasm but I'd never attack or return an attack. Life is too short. 

Really don't understand why some seem to get off on being ugly or by posting crap that is pure fiction. Frankly I think they are mentally ill and extremely sad people. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, BillKilgore said:

America has become more polarized, more intolerant, over the last 10-20 years. I think this was reflected in the evolution of GT. I like Eric's description of GT's changes in his farewell GT post. I'm hoping for a more civil community here.

Exactly what he said.......

I don't know the exact reason, and I'm not convinced that there has been the precipitous decline that some perceive.  And I'm pretty certain that the new ownership, whether the new owners in 2011 or more recently, has very little to do with it.  But GT does seem to have changed for the worse.  Maybe it's just a loss of community given the growth and/or the increasing unwillingness to even consider opposing views that is sweeping our country.  In the 10+ years I have been a member at GT, I don't ever remember having a problem with the moderators.  Recently, however, the moderation has been truly awful and has driven off or outright banned popular members while simultaneously allowing others to spew insults, hatred, and vitriol.    

For what it's worth, RussP is a member here too, and he is a dick.  He's not alone.  

Edited by SigMan
  • Like 2