Most Annoying Questions Asked...

Eric

• Administrators

Before I start, this isn't meant to be an insult to anyone new to Glocks or new to guns and I truly believe that the only stupid question is the one left unanswered, but after reading questions by new Glock owners, there are some that I have heard often enough that they have gotten monotonous. It isn't just that the questions themselves are repetitious, but in many cases, it is the wrong question to be asking.

So, what are your least favorite questions asked about Glocks, by someone who just bought one. Like I said, please don't turn this into a slamfest of the new owners. Let's just poke their questions with a stick.:supergrin:

The one I think I have heard the most often and the one whose answer should be pretty obvious is when a new Glock owner posts that they have just bought a new Glock and they want to know what aftermarket parts and accessories they should begin throwing at it. This question is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. In my opinion, the only thing that pistol needs is some night sights and a metric shitload of practice ammo to feed it. The only thing that pistol needs to make it a better weapon for its owner, is to be fired a lot.

It isn't just Glocks (or guns) though. I am into fast bikes and plenty of new bike owners ask the same first question, as soon as they buy a new bike. In my opinion, gas it up and put a LOT of miles on it. Then, if it does in fact need anything, you will have enough experience with it to recognize what it needs.

So, what questions make you feel tired all over?

• Like 8

• Administrators
Is it safe to carry with a round chambered?

This one applies to plenty of long time gun owners as well.

I showed a guy my 5" Kimber the other day and when he noticed that I carried in condition one (round in chamber, hammer back, safety engaged), it really seemed to freak him out. He kept glancing at my hip like the damned thing was just going to spontaneously go off, or something. He must have said, "I would never carry a 1911 like that...", about fifty times, in the course of the rest of our conversation. I assured him that if that is how he feels about it, he absolutely should not carry that way. Different strokes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I"m not trying to "virtue signal" here, but I never find any question about guns from a new gun owner "annoying" or any question from a new Glock owner annoying. The only questions I find annoying are asked by by NON gun owners, and/or NON Glock owners who are really not asking questions as much as making statements, insults, challenges or trying to start an argument.

For new gun owners, I have all the time in the world and deeply enjoy teaching and helping them learn and trying to do the best possible job I can. Ditto for new Glock users/owners, and I'm particularly concerned to get them squared away on the whole idea of "don't touch the trigger thingie" until they are actually wanting to shoot the gun.

OK, enough signalling my virtue. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 9:15 PM, DWARREN123 said:

How to clean it, how to lube it. Just read the manual folks, please!

Yeah that one. While it has been a long time since I bought my first semi auto pistol I recall clearly reading the manual and practicing field stripping that 1911 for a couple hours. 

• Like 1

I like both Eric's and DWarren's answers!  

I don't really have a most annoying question, but I have a most (not really annoying, but at least puzzling) answer:  "You're limp wristing it."

I see this as the first and/or most common response to so many who are asking for trouble-shooting help on GT and other sites.  First let me say that I know limp wristing does exist, and some can replicate it at will. However, I have a hard time believing that so many strong guys who've been shooting hundreds or thousands of rounds a year for decades suddenly can't grip a handgun well enough for it to even function. I'm a small framed, "older" grandmomma who rarely gets to shoot, and I've never had a malfunction with either of my Glocks 19 and 26, nor an M&P 9C of my adult grandson's (the only three auto-loader handguns I've ever shot).  I KNOW I'm neither that strong nor proficient, believe me. 

Honestly, if Glocks were that easy to malfunction from less than perfect grips, I don't know how on earth they'd have the reputation for reliability that they do.

That said, I find myself keeping a couple of my revolvers loaded for home defense.  The reason is that, with strong guys limp wristing their Glocks to the point they malfunction, I'm afraid in a real-life scenario I might not be able to use my strong, perfect (yeah, right--haha) grip!  

Just sayin'...

• Like 2

I have to agree with part of the OP.  While I'm too old & busy to get very worked up over gun questions, the one that makes me shake my head is:  "I just bought my first Glock.  What accessories do I need?"  I'm always tempted to just say, "Ammo.  Lots and lots of ammo."

• Like 6

On 8/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, Eric said:

I showed a guy my 5" Kimber the other day and when he noticed that I carried in condition one (round in chamber, hammer back, safety engaged), it really seemed to freak him out. He kept glancing at my hip like the damned thing was just going to spontaneously go off, or something. He must have said, "I would never carry a 1911 like that...", about fifty times, in the course of the rest of our conversation. I assured him that if that is how he feels about it, he absolutely should not carry that way. Different strokes.

I've had the same reaction with a 1911 in cond 1. It seems to freak some people out but not so much with a striker fired. They just see that hammer back and that does it.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Tahmail said:

I've had the same reaction with a 1911 in cond 1. It seems to freak some people out but not so much with a striker fired. They just see that hammer back and that does it.

I feel perfectly safe carrying that way. I told that guy that if he didn't think he could carry that way safely, then by all means, he should not do so. That irritated him a bit, but he was the one getting his panties in a bunch.