Right hand cross draw holster?

• 5 months later...

I'm just using the Safariland CQC for a right hander, and thread it onto my duty-type belt over my left hip, with the screws adjusted for the maximum tilt forward.

I wear this way for the ability to get to my G20.4 as fast as possible from a squatting, sitting and/or standing position with all my fishing gear straps outta the way. I can cross-draw in one sweeping motion and acquire my target very quickly.

I tried CCW on my right hip with a conventional holster and it takes too many motions to get it drawn 1) UP - Push 2) FORWARD, then 3) ACQUIRE the target.

The Sky Cop Cross Draw Holster looks fine to me, but I don't like leather when the possibility of falling into a river or lake would be better using a plastic holster like the CQC. Trigger protection is pretty close to the same on both the CQC and Sky Cop, but I don't think I'd trust the Sky Cop to actually hold my Glock if I go swimming.

The CQC is a 'toggle release' type and as such it never releases without a finger pushing it and this holster has a very stiff material that offers amazing protection to my barrel, which is NOT exposed in this holster. That is a great big good thing for me as I crawl over river banks and rocks and seriously don't want my barrel damaged nor the finish scarred..

blackhawk_cqc.jpg.cc616b439e7f4562db9dcbe24db60e04.jpg

I've heard it said that the Safariland holsters like mine are dangerous - but I would argue that it is as safe as any other holster that actually covers the trigger. After all - a Glock is ready to fire when it comes out of ANY holster - so I don't understand  all the negative diss about it.

Not interested in cross draw, it takes more time.  I have heard the same thing about the Blackhawks, but I used them in plainclothes.  My uninform holster was a leather strap, and you were the device to keep it secure.  ATM, I am using a Black Rhino holster under a button down shirt with a cocked and locked with a FNX-45 Tactical with an RMR, and Stream Light TLR H-1 800 lumen light, and four extra mags.  The interesting thing is nothing prints.  I have had good luck with Black Point, Hidden Hybrid, and now Black Rhino.  Black Rhino and Black Point offer MIL/LE discounts as well.  I have had nothing but good experiences with these guys with hip carry.  Black Rhino and Hidden Hybrid offer carry for Southpaws too.  Considering I am married to a Southpaw.

• 4 weeks later...

Moshe. ... Know I'm alittle late being a newbie,  ..but have been going this back to your post a few times ...." Not interested in cross draw" opposed to what? I can cross draw quicker than appendix or hip anytime of the day ... Also the weapon comes up pointed straight ahead, no adjustments or compensating, handgun barrel right in front,  it's almost like a whipping motion ..also prefer cross draw for concealment and comfort ...but that's my opinion 

I draw from the hip.  Muscle memory from a long career of drawing from the hip, and with qualifications time mattered.  So, a cross draw would take more time and you would be behind the OODA loop.   You do what you need to do, and what is comfortable for you.  But, I am and always been an OWB dominant hand draw.  Anything else would be confusing for me, and mess with years of muscle memory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 5:33 AM, Moshe said:

I draw from the hip.  Muscle memory from a long career of drawing from the hip, and with qualifications time mattered.  So, a cross draw would take more time and you would be behind the OODA loop.   You do what you need to do, and what is comfortable for you.  But, I am and always been an OWB dominant hand draw.  Anything else would be confusing for me, and mess with years of muscle memory.

Please explain the “OODA loop”. My understanding is, and I may be simple, but you interject something between the observe, orient, decide, act. How do you mean behind the OODA loop? The loop is the loop, I didn’t know there was a specific timing to it. Thanks

• 1 month later...