+1 for air weights

DUBSY

I came late to owning Airweights. It was after one of my S&W armorer classes that I decided to try one, when I had an unused armorer discount certificate (back when S&W still gave those out) and I'd just read about the new version 642-1 being rated for +P. So, I ordered one. All of my previous 5-shot snubs were steel-framed.

When it arrived (at the cop shop FFL) I immediately started kicking myself for not having tried one sooner. It was so damned light for pocket holstering. It immediately replaced my small aluminum-framed 3rd gen guns, including my well-used 3913.

Since then I've added others, including another 642-1 (when the model was reintroduced when a few thousand previously unused 642-1 frames were cleared out of the factory's parts, and they were used to make an initial "re-release" of the model) ... a pair of M&P 340's (with & without the ILS) ... and a 37-2DAO (from that canceled overseas police order, made on the older "short" frame, and after the company released them among their wholesale vendors).

I've sometimes thought about getting a newer version of the 638, to supplement my older 649 Bodyguard .38 Spl, too.

• Like 3

I like my 642 a lot.  It or my Bodyguard .38 Spl (not the old ones, but the first version of the newer ones) are what I carry, the times that I do carry.

BTW--  The 642 and 442 are two of the very few models that S&W still sells with the option of NO Hillary lock.  For some reason the ones I usually see on display have the lock, but the ones without the lock are available.  When I bought my no-lock 642, they had it in the back and I had to ask for one without the lock.  It was the same price as the ones with the hated lock.  

I wish they'd offer a no-lock option on all their revolvers, not just on a few.  They'd sell more.

• Like 1

I like this thread.  How can anybody not really like the topic?

I have a no-dash 442 that shoots as accurately as a four-inch K-frame.  Bought it used with only half a box of ammo thru it when the original purchaser found that he couldn't hit **** with it so he sold it CHEAP.  He was so pissed.  It was like brand new.  That little revolver has seen a lot of pocket carry and still is looking pretty good.

Also have a M49 Bodyguard that I don't carry often but I love to shoot it with my cast reloads.

Edited by nitesite
  • Like 1

I have had a 640, 649, 642 in the past, for about the past decade I have had a 340sc in my pocket. I would really like to find a 638-2 that is in decent shape, but those seem to be like big foot.

My 340sc is starting to reach the "worn out" category. The finish was destroyed by a Kramer pocket holster about 5 or 6 years ago and nobody seems to offer a refinish for the scandium guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nitesite said:

I like this thread.  How can anybody not really like the topic?

I have a no-dash 442 that shoots as accurately as a four-inch K-frame.  Bought it used with only half a box of ammo thru it when the original purchaser found that he couldn't hit **** with it so he sold it CHEAP.  He was so pissed.  It was like brand new.  That little revolver has seen a lot of pocket carry and still is looking pretty good.

Also have a M38 Bodyguard that I don't carry often but I love to shoot it with my cast reloads.

It's amazing how accurate j-frames are when you put in some practice time. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a big fan of the Centennial frames. 

I have carried a 442 daily for about fifteen years.  It’s a very versatile little gun.  I can carry it discreetly in a pocket along with a speed strip for a reload, or I can belt carry it OWB with a speed loader. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leigh1964 said:

All day, every day since 2003

748AF2EE-DE4C-44B4-B048-0F3CC115006C.jpeg

3EDB2657-4557-483D-9109-279DD1D0E906.jpeg

Nyclads. Cool. I still have maybe a box and a half of them. I wish that had bought a few boxes of their 158gr +P. I went with the 125gr standard pressure.

• Like 3

125 gr. standard velocity here as well....goofy Federal is all I can say.

Of course, the very first Nyclads were marketed by S&W in the late 70's early 80's and later by Federal and then discontinued by Federal and then brought back by Federal and then discontinued again!

I can place 5 rounds (non +P) on a 6-inch pie plate at 21 feet faster and more accurately than anything +P!

Yes, I have about 2 full boxes left and they are not for the range........

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

When one of my daughter's ex threatened my family, I bought the appropriate courses for my daughters and wife, each   a 642,  They have since moved on to other choices, but it's still a fine firearm.

Afterthought:  We found out he was afraid of guns, he has since acquired discretion.

• Like 1