I need some wheelgun shooters

Collim1

I always liked wheelguns. Started out with them; my first was a Bicentennial Ruger Security Six 357. My dad has it now. I sold it to him when I bought a new 586 8 3/8" in 1985 or so. Had it forever then sold it and ended up with a 6" 686.

DSCN5219.jpg

Built the herd some after that. I love all these things.

DSCN5218.jpg

DSCN5236.jpg

7BEA54B1-69CC-49C7-BF8D-33C7C78FB3C6-M.j

image_zpsdtbvjld1.jpeg

IMG_6292-M.jpg

Single%20Six_zpso5lokt4a.jpeg

S%20%26%20W%20Victory-M.jpg

I have a bunch of autos but really enjoy shooting the wheel guns.

I’m still mulling over this model 10 2” round butt. It’s $600, which on one hand sounds high for a model 10. But, it’s also near mint with bluing that shows almost no handling marks, holster wear, or staining, much less signs of any significant round count. 

The fact that it’s beautiful is going to influence me to pay too much for it.  I really want a blued model 10 snubby to carry this winter.  I carried a 3” model 64 the last two winters and it was a fun gun to carry and practice with.

Decisions decisions.........

Edited by Collim1

I won the auction for that snubby model 10. I was the only bidder.  I hope to have her sometime next week. I’ve already completed the checkout process so hopefully it ships tomorrow or Monday. 

I’m planning to post some pics of her in a new thread when I get her in. 

• Like 1

Already found a model 10 no dash in very minty condition, and a 581 I want as well. 

The 581 looks great, and would be a great shooter for the 125g loads I don’t shoot in my K frames.  

I have  had  extremely good luck on Gunbroker lately.  I’m watching these two as well and would love to take one home. 

I’m passing on the 581. I have a ton of holsters and speedloaders for K frames, no sense in throwing something else into the mix. 

I’m really wanting a 4 or 5 inch pencil barrel model 10. I’m looking at a 5” four screw online, but l feel like I’m rolling the dice buying a gun that old without being able to put hands on it first. No telling what kind of lockup, timing or bubba gunsmithing issues it could have. 

The snubby model 10 will be here tomorrow.  I’m anxious to check it out. 

I lost a couple auctions this week for some nice model 10’s and I’m watching another. I don’t enjoy “the hunt” like some people do. I just want a nice minty four or five inch pencil barrel model 10. Ready to find me one. 

I've always had a thing for stainless S&W N frames; also have some stainless K and J frames, but N frames make better weapons when empty. :beat-dead-horse:

I had sweaty/oily hands when I was growing up, so, I move toward stainless steel firearms whenever possible.

• 3 months later...

2 four inch 686's before the keyhole, 2 6 inch .357's before the keyhole (all stainless).  A Rugger .22lr revolver (stainless) .357 size for training those in the family cheaply to learn the difference in how you hold and semi auto, and how you hold a revolver (so in the event of something catastrophic), you can keep your thumbs. :)

• 3 months later...

Collin I've had good results with E3 in 38 spl and Short Colts but not much data to be found. You might want to gauge your cylinder throats or just try larger diameter bullet.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, minervadoe said:

My best shooter is this Ruger GP100 Match Champion.  It's a bit more accurate with the stock wooden grips, but they tear the web of my hand up a bit, so I put the Pachmayr's on there. 

matchChampionCropMed.jpg

My favorite revolver grips, bar none.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:11 AM, ede said:

Not sure if this is my favorite or not but I've had some success with it, S&W 617-2.

IMG_20171016_164331.thumb.jpg.c72827ceab930d0ca0debb32a088b4b9.jpg

Pair of 627s I shoot when I want to shoot centerfire.

IMG_20190419_121235.thumb.jpg.fe76d2017997c368ba8c413aa7e75893.jpgIMG_20171203_190811.thumb.jpg.f1b05ac208d544ac8b56ebc7fdf149f6.jpg

I’ve got a 4” 617 that doesn’t look anything like the first one shown.  I’m betting that cylinder turns really fast and easy.  Congrats on 1st place, that’s fast company.