I need some wheelgun shooters

Collim1

On 6/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, shootability said:

Not much for Stainless so I have mine Nitro-carburized. (QPQ)

IMG_1166.JPG

That looks good.  Who did the work?

I like stainless revolvers because I shoot them a lot.  This looks like a good option for blued revolvers.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting ready for some wheelgun shooting. 

I resized and deprimed 1800 cases this week. 

I’ll be loading up some 158 SWC over Win 231 when I get off work this week. It’s a great plinking load, and works smoothly with speedloaders. 

Here are 2 of mine...

M 17-3 K22- 1968 mfg bday gift from my dad on my 17th bday

M 27-2- 1978 mfg. One of the last 5” 27-2s from the factory (shipped on Nov 28, 1978). 

Apologies for the s*#tty pic  

image.jpg

Edited by Valmet
  • Like 2

I've got this Old Smith & Wesson 38 Special.  It was my grandfather's service weapon during his career as Constable, Chief of Police and Mayor of a small South Carolina town.  My aunt gave it to me right before she passed away.  It worn and a little rusty and the timing is off.  Should I keep it as is or have it restored?

sw38.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 8:24 PM, aomagrat said:

I've got this Old Smith & Wesson 38 Special.  It was my grandfather's service weapon during his career as Constable, Chief of Police and Mayor of a small South Carolina town.  My aunt gave it to me right before she passed away.  It worn and a little rusty and the timing is off.  Should I keep it as is or have it restored?

sw38.jpg

Keep the finish and grips as is, but you absolutely should find a competent gunsmith to get it back in safe firing condition. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 4

Since you said in the other thread that you enjoy cap and ball revolvers, you might like a Ruger New Vaquero. When I found a stainless .357 Mag New Vaquero for $325 I could not pass it. I took it to  the range last Sunday and let a few friends of my son and his girl friend shoot it with .38 Special. They were all surprised how little felt recoil it had and how easy and well it shot.

Ruger New Vaquero.jpg

• 1 month later...

I loaded up a few hundred 158g LSWC’s recently. They shoot ok. They load in speedloaders well and fire and extract reliably, but the accuracy was nothing to be proud of. 

Adequate for plinking but nothing special. I loaded up rounds at 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 grains of Winchester 231 and none stood out as more accurate than the others. 

Don't have a picture which does it justice, yet, but ...

A very close friend of mine recently passed, and in his estate he left me a choice of a gun from his collection. He had a LOT of very nice upper end (old style Performance Center) and custom handguns, but the one that spoke to me was a S&W 3" M65 .357MAG which had special meaning to me. It was a revolver he'd built himself, back at the S&W factory, as his revolver armorer class gun. Back in those days they gave the students a choice of a frame (w/barrel) and the matching yoke (fitted/polished to the frame), and the student built the rest of the gun around those major components over the length of the class. He said he'd wanted to build a 65 snub.

I was attracted to that revolver when he first told me about it. Since he was the man who first started sending me to factory armorer classes for work, and apprenticed me at the armory bench for many years. it had some special meaning to me. He had some really nice custom 1911's, and some PPC revolvers he'd made over the the years (being an old PPC shooter), and some other excellent handguns, too, but it was that M65 snub I wanted.

I picked it up from the FFL used by his estate the other day, complete in the original cardboard factory box (with original rust-resistant paper wrapping the gun), with the plastic package of cleaning tools and an original Tyler T-Grip he liked. The box is marked "SPECIAL", presumably because it was sold as a special production armorer student training revolver.

Guess I'll have to get some leather for it and put in some range time with it at the LE range where we worked together for so many years. (He was a Southpaw, so none of his leather would work for me.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fastbolt said:

Don't have a picture which does it justice, yet, but ...

A very close friend of mine recently passed, and in his estate he left me a choice of a gun from his collection. He had a LOT of very nice upper end (old style Performance Center) and custom handguns, but the one that spoke to me was a S&W 3" M65 .357MAG which had special meaning to me. It was a revolver he'd built himself, back at the S&W factory, as his revolver armorer class gun. Back in those days they gave the students a choice of a frame (w/barrel) and the matching yoke (fitted/polished to the frame), and the student built the rest of the gun around those major components over the length of the class. He said he'd wanted to build a 65 snub.

I was attracted to that revolver when he first told me about it. Since he was the man who first started sending me to factory armorer classes for work, and apprenticed me at the armory bench for many years. it had some special meaning to me. He had some really nice custom 1911's, and some PPC revolvers he'd made over the the years (being an old PPC shooter), and some other excellent handguns, too, but it was that M65 snub I wanted.

I picked it up from the FFL used by his estate the other day, complete in the original cardboard factory box (with original rust-resistant paper wrapping the gun), with the plastic package of cleaning tools and an original Tyler T-Grip he liked. The box is marked "SPECIAL", presumably because it was sold as a special production armorer student training revolver.

Guess I'll have to get some leather for it and put in some range time with it at the LE range where we worked together for so many years. (He was a Southpaw, so none of his leather would work for me.)

That’s very cool. I love the 3” K frames. I often carry a model 64 round butt 3” in cooler weather. It’s the perfect CCW revolver in my opinion.  It’s perfect for carrying on the belt with speedloaders. I prefer fixed sights in a 3” gun, but that model 65 of yours is a very special gun. 

I think we would all enjoy seeing a picture of it if possible. 

Edited by Collim1

Great topic!

I've had a few wheel guns in my safes for 50+ years. I'll have to post some crappy pictures when I did some out.

My favorite is a 4" nickle Python my father bought and carried. It has some scrimshawed grips on it that are Corian or something. Still looks nice.

• 5 weeks later...

I've sold off my collectibles, figuring that I'm getting old enough that I'd better stop stacking them and start shooting them.  

So I've been buying fun guns with the proceeds.   

Here's my latest: A 3" fixed sight Ruger GP100.

20180907_183449.jpg

• Like 3

I like my matched set of New Model Ruger SASS Vaquero's for CAS.  I've put at least 25,000 rounds through each and they've never failed me.  I also am pretty attached to my S&W model 37 which I like to carry in my back pocket as a backup to my Colt Commander.

7FC27342-0C8C-4B64-92D2-2A6D0BD17D46.jpeg

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 3

On 9/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, crockett said:

Ok I'll play. The original GP-100 in .327 Federal Magnum. Most accurate wheel gun I own.

Img_3441.png

That is an interesting caliber and gun combination. I looked real hard at a 6 shot jframe in .327 mag years ago. It never really caught on and I lost interest.  

• Like 1

I currently have my eye on a model 10 2” round butt. If I can get it for the right price I’m planning to buy it.  It looks amazing for its age.  Barely a turn ring around the cylinder, frame screws haven’t been monkeyed with, and no holster wear or handling marks in the bluing. 

Cooler weather is approaching and something larger than my j frame will be easy to conceal. 

I love the fixed sight K frames. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

That is an interesting caliber and gun combination. I looked real hard at a 6 shot jframe in .327 mag years ago. It never really caught on and I lost interest.  

A reloaders come true caliber. As you will know, all .327 revolvers can handle 5 calibers: .32 ACP, .32 Short, 32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum. From mild to wild, from wad-cutter accuracy to .357 Magnum levels.

Ruger now offers a new GP-100 with 6" barrel, along with a SP101 4.2". The 6 inch is on my list and will complete my trio. Would love to see some S&W offerings again.

DSC1688.jpg

• Like 1