If you just arrived, say hi!

Rabbi

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, tous said:

As long as you don't send the Cherokee to pee on it.

A quick question.

When you upgrade to a King Air, do you need to be type rated and have a co-pilot?

While that is not my plan. Legally, no.   King Airs do not require a co-pilot or a type rating. (although, there is a technical issue where the military flies the largest of them over weight, that would require both of those things....but it is the military)

However, I do not think anyone would insure a lower time pilot looking to jump from piston singles, into a twin turboprop plane without X number of hours of training and X number of hours with a safety pilot. That cumulative "X" is probably 100ish hours.    There is also the issue you would need a multi-engine ticket.  (and the often issued to the military twin, center line thrust only would not work)

Edit to add, it seems like you do need a type rating on the 300-350. As they can be flown over 12,500 weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suggest that you forget the little aircraft and go right to the Antonov AN-225.

You could haul Eric's knife collection around.

Well, mebbe a part of Eric's knife collection.

Heck, you would need sixteen AN-225s and all of the Air Force's C-5s to move Eric's knife collection.

Never mind.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2018 at 5:09 AM, Rabbi said:

I added an edit.  The 300 and 350 do need a type rating. 

I was going to add that caveat but I see you did a bit of digging.  The 90 through 200's are all without type rating but the newest models can exceed the 12,500 lb MTOW limit and require a type.  And the Army flies mostly 200s, 300s, and 350s.  They sold all of the 90's (formerly known as U-21) but have retained the C-12 variants.  The RC-12 is also a different beast since it has the horizontal stabilizer from a 1900

Edited by jilverthor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My IP address has been banned on Glocktalk. I have no idea why?! I'm moving here to "theboresite." I'll miss my friends that I made at GT. I hope we find each other here.

My son recently built me a great home firing range in the woods next next to my house. I'm very proud of it and have been doing a lot of shooting in it. I ran an extension cord down to it and discovered that when I turn on the electric fans and light the citronella candle, I have no problems with bugs. I also put a big bug zapper by the small stream where the mosquitoes breed. It's a great place to be, even in the rain!  It's ten yards from the shoot shack to the hanging gongs.

If you remember me from GT please say "Hi."  DSC09291_openWith-2sml.thumb.jpg.4e22d0289d60a8b1b7481c2b30af2fb1.jpg

DSC09294_openWith-2sml.thumb.jpg.09bf1377e320bc0fcd7e3687286311ad.jpg

931289588_PistolRange.thumb.jpg.c58b7f561246b56c7d5df5a8ac064d22.jpg

Edited by davethehiker
  • Like 4

On 9/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, Rabbi said:

While that is not my plan. Legally, no.   King Airs do not require a co-pilot or a type rating. (although, there is a technical issue where the military flies the largest of them over weight, that would require both of those things....but it is the military)

However, I do not think anyone would insure a lower time pilot looking to jump from piston singles, into a twin turboprop plane without X number of hours of training and X number of hours with a safety pilot. That cumulative "X" is probably 100ish hours.    There is also the issue you would need a multi-engine ticket.  (and the often issued to the military twin, center line thrust only would not work)

Edit to add, it seems like you do need a type rating on the 300-350. As they can be flown over 12,500 weight. 

Last I looked, insurance companies are looking for 1200TT, 500ME, instrument, and commercial helps as well.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Last I looked, insurance companies are looking for 1200TT, 500ME, instrument, and commercial helps as well.

While I did not state it clearly, I meant time in type, not cumulative pilot hours. 

And perhaps it is different for King Airs (I do not know, I do not fly them nor am I looking to fly them) but at about the 500 hour mark, total time, you can begin the transition into things like the TBM, M600 or even the Vision Jet.    You will have to be able to get through a syllabus taught to the ATP level and there will be a safety pilot requirement for 50-100 hours, but people do it just fine and get insured. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, tous said:

I betcha the Cherokee gets ice cream on Fridays.  :miff:

Perhaps you and aircarver's black-hole-powered spaceship can have an ice cream maker.

Or an entire Chic-Fil-A - complete with ice cream and a server who says it is "her pleasure".  

The black hole should be able to handle the power needed.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, davethehiker said:

Glocktalk decided to end my block. I have no idea why they decided to block me in the first place or why I'm now allowed on. In the meantime I have grown familiar with how this sight works. I'll visit both if I'm able to do so.

Dave's not here.

• Like 1

• Eric unpinned this topic