Any other handgun hunter here?

Boogieman

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, jame said:

I used to, way back when I only had one gun.

I had a 6” Ruger Security Six .357, and a double bullet mold for a 140 grain gas checked SWC.  Those two things, paired with a single stage press and a Lee bullet sizer, and a cheap Hunter brand holster.  It was all I could afford, so it was all I had.

I would load way, way down and hunt squirrels and rabbits, or I would pack the brass with powder and smoke those bullets out of the barrel to shoot coyotes out to 100+ yards.

I used to be pretty damned good with a gun, when I had to work at it.  There seems to be something to that philosophy that I’ve lost sight of.

I still have a 6", .357 Ruger Security Six - great handgun. Have hunted with it but not in the last several years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used the Mdl. 29 4" for decades taking a few Elk, Moose and Prairie Goats/Prong Horns. My choice the past 3 years has been the fantastic 10 MM. The SIG Elite Hunter Single stack, single action loaded with 180 grn cast and powder coated is a great round. This is not a trophy2034810244_sw29.png.2fae752ecc41f3e1e22000fda5beccfc.png goat for a rifle but a  .44 Mag at 75 yards not bad. 

IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.ebf69f2aff24c4e7a8d7a8a40d00ed6e.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I killed deer, bear, and elk with a Ruger Bisley .45 Colt ages ago in the 80s and 90s. Had the barrel chopped to 5.5”, added a white outline rear/gold bead front sight package but left the trigger as-is was since it was fine right out of the box. Using Keith type bullets between 270-300gr @ 1000fps it was, and still is, a great big game killer.

• 1 month later...

alot of small game hunting when I was younger, used to work on a milk farm when going to school, the farmer used to pay me $3 a tail for each woodchuck I'd kill, if the milk cow stepped  in the woodchuck hole and Broke a leg it would have to be destroyed, my arsenal consisted a high standard 22 six in barrel with a bushnell 2.5 scope, hey!! Never realized it til now I was a bounty hunter, :anim_rofl2::anim_rofl2: used to love that life style worked from dawn to dusk, heathy way to live, lifting 75-100 pound bales of hay great times, and the farmer, old man albrecht used to pay me in silver dollars, still have a few .

Now hunt Hogs with a handgun down here in Florida, we use a raised swamp mud vehicle, there are literally millions of them roaming the flat lands, average size are 40-75 lbs, some 80-100, they are treated as varmits, no restrictions on weapons used, but a challenge never the less with my Taurus judge with some hot .45 colt loads, 1911 .45 ACP,  also use .17 HMR, 22 mag, we give the meat to the homeless centers and the Indian tribes, they allow use to hunt their land as a trade off ..

• 4 months later...