Any other handgun hunter here?

Boogieman

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Well get out there and shoot some stuff.  :D

Well, I found that it is a lot easier to make friends with people that do shoot stuff.  :biggrin: 

Plus I found out there are a lot of crazy people out in the woods ( present company excepted , of course :whistling: ). The last craziest one was when I was in WV.  A guy got shot by a BOWHUNTER;  :ack2: , who does that???

Luckily he survived getting hit with a broadhead.

And another guy that worked for me always took two weeks off in bear season to hunt bear WITH A BOW. :Alex:

How crazy is that?

Edited by willie-pete
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Well, I found that it is a lot easier to make friends with people that do shoot stuff.  :biggrin: 

Plus I found out there are a lot of crazy people out in the woods ( present company excepted , of course :whistling: ). The last craziest one was when I was in WV.  A guy got shot by a BOWHUNTER;  :ack2: , who does that???

Luckily he survived getting hit with a broadhead.

And another guy that worked for me always took two weeks off in bear season to hunt bear WITH A BOW. :Alex:

How crazy is that?

Hunting bear with a pointy stick doesn't seem like the most sane thing one could do.  I'm addicted to hog hunting.  Other than basic safety there ain't no rules.  Hunting at night...over bait...with a thermal scope...and a suppressed mini gun.  All OK.  And here I am with a 1911.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Hunting bear with a pointy stick doesn't seem like the most sane thing one could do.  I'm addicted to hog hunting.  Other than basic safety there ain't no rules.  Hunting at night...over bait...with a thermal scope...and a suppressed mini gun.  All OK.  And here I am with a 1911.

Delbert marched to a different drummer. Did it a lot of years and never got hurt though.

The gun range closest to me is on land that also hosts hog hunts. They have had a few messy injuries over the past years.  I don't need the adrenaline rush of trying to kill things that want to try and kill/eat me also.

I get that from riding motorcycles.    :ack2:

4 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Delbert marched to a different drummer. Did it a lot of years and never got hurt though.

The gun range closest to me is on land that also hosts hog hunts. They have had a few messy injuries over the past years.  I don't need the adrenaline rush of trying to kill things that want to try and kill/eat me also.

I get that from riding motorcycles.    :ack2:

Hunting hog on a motorcycle maybe?  You on the bike...not the hog.  :D

I used to, way back when I only had one gun.

I had a 6” Ruger Security Six .357, and a double bullet mold for a 140 grain gas checked SWC.  Those two things, paired with a single stage press and a Lee bullet sizer, and a cheap Hunter brand holster.  It was all I could afford, so it was all I had.

I would load way, way down and hunt squirrels and rabbits, or I would pack the brass with powder and smoke those bullets out of the barrel to shoot coyotes out to 100+ yards.

I used to be pretty damned good with a gun, when I had to work at it.  There seems to be something to that philosophy that I’ve lost sight of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I enjoy hunting deer with handguns.  Back in the day when I had really good vision, I'd use a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and was able to reach out to 100yds.  These days, I use a scoped T/C in 7-30 Waters (30-30 necked down to 7mm) to harvest venison. 

IMG_0899_2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brother J said:

I enjoy hunting deer with handguns.  Back in the day when I had really good vision, I'd use a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and was able to reach out to 100yds.  These days, I use a scoped T/C in 7-30 Waters (30-30 necked down to 7mm) to harvest venison. 

IMG_0899_2.JPG

I'm looking for a 7-30 barrel for my Contender.

• Like 1

Years ago I used to hunt with a Ruger Redhawk and scope combo. I did my own loads so I would make light loads with cast bullets for rabbits and such as well as hotter loads for deer/hogs. It worked very well and I sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. I've actually thought of getting back into handgun hunting because where I hunt in Florida, a 100 yd shot is a long shot. Most deer and hogs I shoot now are in the 50 yd or less range.

Seeing all these photos of T/C's is making me really jealous, I came so close to buying one a bunch of times back when I was hunting with a handgun. Unfortunately, there was always a 1911 or a rifle that caught my eye as well. I'm not sure what I would go with today if I were to start handgun hunting again. It would probably get narrowed down to a T/C (of course), another .44 Ruger Redhawk setup or maybe a G20 or G40 with an RMR. Hmmm.........

• Like 1

Varmint hunting only. I use the pesky East Tennessee groundhogs to keep my pistol skills tuned. Only two so far this summer, one with G19.5 at 10 yards and the other with a G26.5 at 15 yards. I wish I knew how many groundhogs I have shot with a pistol over the years. :patriot:

2 hours ago, Mike Papa said:

Varmint hunting only. I use the pesky East Tennessee groundhogs to keep my pistol skills tuned. Only two so far this summer, one with G19.5 at 10 yards and the other with a G26.5 at 15 yards. I wish I knew how many groundhogs I have shot with a pistol over the years. :patriot:

I have 9x25 barrels for my Delta Elite and Glock 20.  They make groundhogs explode.

• Like 1

Not in quite a while. Have scoped Ruger SRH 44mag and 454 Casull, scoped Glock 20, S&W 610, Rem 100R 7-08, Encore pistol barrels in 22Hornet, 223 and 243. Most of my hunting is in South Texas heavy mesquite brush but most of my bucks have been 200+ yards down long senderos.

• Like 1

Shot a whitetail buck from a tree stand with my Super Blackhawk 44 once. Surprised me how well it worked, big hole clear through him and he ran just a few steps before piling up.

Most of my hunting these days is open country muleys, so I use my 270.

• Like 1