astigmatism surgery

ASH

anyone had it ? cost to do it , , im not bargain hunting with my eyes  im looking for personal stories .  i can see fine real close and read letters on coke bottle  across the table , my problem is

far off its blurry as hell  .  im gonna have to start looking for doctors ,  i am not to far  from Pinehurst  nc  where the super rich live and few eye places there, i took my mom to get cataracts and lasik over 20 years ago so i know the tech is 1,000 times better now . i got 5 months til retirement i had put my eyes off til i was not as busy . but when i retire i  got to have some apartment work done and our beach house  need new decks ,new siding  , and derusting   lol so i thought retire im done , nope . good stories or horror stories  im open to listen . 

tried contact my big ass fingers cnt do it , i try til my eyes hurt , glasses no go  claustophobic with something on my face . when spraying crop and wearing mask bothers me badly .

Well, I've got astigmatism, but I'm no help.  Add in some near-sightedness and my eyes have been shot for 40+ years.  I've avoided surgery due to the combination of problems and the fact that my dad was one of the small percentage of people whose eyes got worse after laser surgery, which makes me leary.  My eyes are bad enough already, I don't want to pay large sums of money to risk making them worse.  I still can't believe my old P.D. didn't have a minimum vision requirement.  With contacts, I corrected to better than 20/20 and managed the astigmatism, but without correction, I'm close to useless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago I had double cataract surgery. During this procedure they would replace the natural lenses of my eyes to remove these cataracts but during the pre-surgery evaluation they asked if I wanted lenses that would correct my astigmatism. That part (lenses to correct vision) is not covered by insurance (Blue Cross) but I could afford it, so I said go ahead.

This is different than the Lasik type procedures as it involved replacing my natural lenses but the effect is the same. I no longer need glasses for distances, only for reading (getting used to that is another transition).

Ultimately I'm glad I did. I know several people that have had Lasik and each one really likes the results. If your eyes are young enough that you don't need reading glasses you'll be in even better shape. Good luck with your decision.

Not all astigmatisms are created equal.  If your cylinder is more than -3.0 and/0r your axis is way out of range (can't give you numbers, depending on if your optometrist used positive or negative axis), you may not have regular astigmatism, or you may have other things wrong with your cornea.   Go see an ophthalmologist.

• Like 1

I went to the ophthalmologist because I couldn't read small print in low light.  I was then told about a left eye astigmatism and very slightly degraded distance vision.  I gave them two tries to get it right and each time pair of glasses made my distance vision worse.  The second time I took the opportunity look through one of my red dots and noticed that it was FAR worse with the glasses than without.  I gave them the glasses back, bought some readers and called it day.

It's my understanding that the surgery is good for about ten years.  I'm not going to vest that time, money and risk into a temporary fix.

Had Lasic (wave?) done a couple years ago. I chose the super duper special NASA type surgery where the machine locks on to your eyeball after it maps it and guides the laser by itself. I had a pretty good astigmatism and now have 20/15 vision. It's kind of expensive and I put it off because I didn't feel like it would be worth it. I kick myself in the ass every day for not having it done sooner. Best money I've ever spent.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, Picard said:

Not all astigmatisms are created equal.  If your cylinder is more than -3.0 and/0r your axis is way out of range (can't give you numbers, depending on if your optometrist used positive or negative axis), you may not have regular astigmatism, or you may have other things wrong with your cornea.   Go see an ophthalmologist.

My astigmatism was not correctable when I had cataract surgery. My correction is not constant and seems to vary over time (sometimes short and sometimes longer period). When I wore glasses, I would switch to older pairs that may correct my astigmatism better. Clarity was usually more for astigmatism than lens correction.

19 hours ago, Jay S. said:

Had Lasic (wave?) done a couple years ago. I chose the super duper special NASA type surgery where the machine locks on to your eyeball after it maps it and guides the laser by itself. I had a pretty good astigmatism and now have 20/15 vision. It's kind of expensive and I put it off because I didn't feel like it would be worth it. I kick myself in the ass every day for not having it done sooner. Best money I've ever spent.

+1!!! I had my left eye only done several years ago and went from 20/200 to 20/20. The Doc put the surgery off several years until the tech caught up with my particular needs. It's been many years and I could not be happier. They tell you about all the things you will gain but not what you will lose (Close up vision), that's why I only did the one really bad eye.

• Like 1

I just know that I'd be strapped and locked into the laser machine while it burns away, and I'd hear that loud boomp! sound that the electricity makes when it all suddenly goes out,  and a muffled "oh ****" from under the doctor's mask.

• Haha 1

Find an ophthalmologist in your area.  Ask older people around your local area and you might be surprised how many people will respond with their experience.  I had both eyes correct a few years ago and can't be happier, just renewed my driver license without glasses.  Medicare did pay part of the cost but I don't remember the details.   

The most difficult part of the process was putting the drops in your eyes afterwards.

Edited by pipedreams

I had RK done 20 years ago to correct the nearsightness and astigmatism.   Didn't work out as planned, but I can see better without my glasses...just harder to correct what problems are left now...eyeballs shrink and swell over the course of the day, so the cuts on my lenses change and shift things a bit...takes some getting used to.

Do a lot...a WHOLE lot of research of the process and the "doctor" before letting anybody start carving up you eyes, with a laser or a illy-bitty knife.

• Like 1

They tell you about all the things you will gain but not what you will lose (Close up vision), that's why I only did the one really bad eye.

The assistant told me that it was only by the grace of God that I still had my close up vision during my previous surgery exam as I was over 40. She said that it may be 1 month or 6 months but I would start to lose it. 2 or 3 months after the surgery I started to notice it and now several years later my arms aren't long enough to read some things. I think it would have happened eventually but the lasik just made it happen sooner. Still well worth it for me.

23 hours ago, wxl said:

... My correction is not constant and seems to vary over time ...

22 hours ago, FullClip said:

I had RK done 20 years ago to correct the nearsightness and astigmatism.   Didn't work out as planned...

Yep, and these are the kinds of reasons I haven't done the surgery on my shoddy eyes.

After my dad's surgery, he not only didn't have better vision, he also acquired the newfound power of double vision.  

Me: How are you still driving with that double vision?

Dad: I can tell which car in front of me is the real one.

Me: …!!!???!!!...

Now he still has to wear glasses with special lenses that correct the double vision.  No thanks.  I'll just wear my contacts or regular glasses.

Edit: typo correction.

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Like 1