Who wants a Reloading Beginners Guide?

crockett

I'm considering to start and maintain a Beginners Guide sticky thread for all those folks who might be interested in reloading but at this time, this forum / club is pretty dead. Is anybody interested in this or do we have to wait for more members? 

Edited by crockett
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Duke45 said:

I have a question on reloading?  I load 9mm with 115 gr. fmj  every once in a while after seating bullet I get a deformed case with wrinkles any thoughts .

3 root sources come to my mind:

1.) Varying case length: Do they all have the same headstamp?

2.) Crimping before fully seating: Does your seating die also crimp? Is it a Lee? Is it a .38 Sp die set?

3.) Expander: what expanded are you using? Does the expander plug expand the case all the way down or are you just using it to belly the mouth?

Okay so, for those of us that would like to start reloading but, are reloading 'neophytes', how about some recommendations on what is needed to start reloading FROM THE GROUND UP?

Just start with the basics

• What tools will I need? (just the basics to load a few rounds a minute)
  • What books should I read? (links..)
  • What videos should I watch?(Links..)
  • Recommendations on what reloading equipment is GREAT, Good, poor, bad or, just plain junk?
  • How much will a good "starter" press and tool cost me? (sources, links, etc)
  • USED equipment? Yes, or no?
  • DO's AND DO NOT's! (The SERIOUS STUFF THAT COULD GET YOU HURT!)

THANKS!!

John

inthefrey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2018 at 11:22 PM, crockett said:

I'm considering to start and maintain a Beginners Guide sticky thread for all those folks who might be interested in reloading but at this time, this forum / club is pretty dead. Is anybody interested in this or do we have to wait for more members? 

Sounds like a thread that will be needed, so I say start it and let it grow. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Okay so, for those of us that would like to start reloading but, are reloading 'neophytes', how about some recommendations on what is needed to start reloading FROM THE GROUND UP?

Just start with the basics

• What tools will I need? (just the basics to load a few rounds a minute)
  • What books should I read? (links..)
  • What videos should I watch?(Links..)
  • Recommendations on what reloading equipment is GREAT, Good, poor, bad or, just plain junk?
  • How much will a good "starter" press and tool cost me? (sources, links, etc)
  • USED equipment? Yes, or no?
  • DO's AND DO NOT's! (The SERIOUS STUFF THAT COULD GET YOU HURT!)

THANKS!!

John

inthefrey

57 minutes ago, N2extrm said:

Sounds like a thread that will be needed, so I say start it and let it grow. 

Alright, I'll get one started soon. Will begin with a list of content and some placeholders. The guide will be within the first view post of a new thread. Folks can add suggestions and I will keep updating the guide accordingly. A living document so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2018 at 11:22 PM, crockett said:

Great Idea.... A lot of us have spent wasted hours and lots of money on unnecessary equipment. Most of us probably started small with a single stage press, I know I did, but I also know of more than a few just starting out that immediately spent the big bucks for equipment they later realize they didn't need and didn't have the knowledge to use. A well documented how-to with proper input could be invaluable to new and old alike.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Well, 3 weeks after my post, nothing but folks agreeing there should be a "noooob" guide to reloading. Still waiting for a few "experts" to post their reloading-for-dummies guide. Anyone?

?

Been working on it:

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.