What's your favorite .22LR handgun?

fortyofforty

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

What was that old advice about cleaning .22LRs?  Was it not to over-clean, or leave them a bit dirty to better ensure functioning?  I forget that old advice right now.

Don't clean the bbl so much, leave it "seasoned."

• Like 1

One day at the range, I hung a target and simply started shooting at the "center".  I was interested in the statistical result of a number of rounds, to the results on the target.  After 600 rounds, all functioned perfectly I might add, the target had a beautiful circle cut out of it with no black area left.  I was pleased with the 5.5 inch barrel, 22S performance, and that the target results were what was supposed to happen.  It is interesting when the bullseye is gone and you have to keep aiming at the center of the hole in the target.

I didn't give it a thought at the time, but the pistol never missed a lick.  It performed wonderfully.  It's not an expensive gun, but a competitive one.

• Like 1

Years ago I purchased a Ciener .22 caliber conversion kit (slide and magazines) for my Kimber stainless custom.  It worked perfectly and is quite accurate.  It has never had a problem will any ammunition. 

I don't shoot it anymore, simply because it is more fun with the long target barrels on the dedicated .22 pistols.  It is, however, an excellent conversion.

5 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

So clean the action but don't "scrub" the barrel?  Maybe run a patch or two with a CLP product and move on?

If the gun is grouping as good as it can, i forgo cleaning the bbl until it the groups start to loosen up.

I MAY drag a dry swab or snake through it but until the groups stop satisfying me, I use no cleaner or oil.

If I'm going to put it away for a long spell, I will probably but some oil down the bbl but then again, I may not.

I just pulled a rifle out of the safe that I haven't shot in years and I know I didn't clean the bbl when I put it away last. It shot Five 5 shot groups into a hole no bigger than a cigarette butt at 25 yards with its preferred ammo.

I then sighted it in with CCI Quiet to thin the tree rat herd in my yard over the winter and the bbl was not cleaned then or will it be for quite some time.

The rest of the gun gets cleaned a lot more often.