What's your favorite .22LR handgun?

fortyofforty

Years ago I was able to shoot High Standard target pistols, which were OK, but the grip angle was steep.  My Browning Buckmark was not reliable, and Browning's customer service sucked ass in terms of repair.  I was never able to shoot a Colt Woodsman, or the Ruger 22/45.  I never cared for the grip angle of the Mark IV, which is reminiscent of the High Standard.  Revolvers intrigue me for trail carry, but I've never fired one in .22LR.

• Like 2

Mine isn't considered by many to be anything special, and by some, cheap.  But I really like shooting it.  It's an old 22S with a 5.5" barrel.  I haven't had any problems with it and it shoots great.  It hates Remington box ammo though.

Long ago I also had an ERMA .22 and I never got used to the grip angle either.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

I have an old Colt New Frontier that I carried that when I was trapping in my youth.  Well holster worn from carry and knocked about.  Used it a few times to break ice.  Was a tool not a collector.

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also have an old S&W M17 I bought.  Had the trigger worked on and is glass smooth to a scary degree. Very...very...light pull and click. bang. No creep just sear drop.  For target shooting is fine but that is all.  I want to someday get it back to something more basic trigger wise. Beautiful pistol but would not trust in the hands of a novice.

Dave..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ruger Mk II blued w/5.5" bull barrel and target sights. It is a fun shooter and my only other 22 lr pistol is an Iver Johnson TP22 so there is no competition in my safe. Even with other 22s to compare I believe the Ruger Mk II is a hell of good gun.

• Like 2

S&W K-22, no question. Received one (1968 mfg) from my father as a bday present for my 17th bday in 1998. Fit, finish, and overall quality is truly second-to-none. It’s still in great shape after a LOT of Stingers and Thunderbolts. 

• Like 3

I have several .22 caliber handguns, so picking my #1 favorite is not easy.  After much thinking about it I believe the first handgun I bought would be my favorite.  It is a new model Ruger Single 6 convertible (w/.22 magnum cylinder) blue 6" barrel.  I bought this revolver in 1974 and still have it of course.  My wife and both of our sons learned to shoot a handgun with this revolver and my two grandsons are both learning about handguns with it.  I have never had a problem of any kind with it.  Several people who were not familiar with this revolver have shot it and were amazed at how enjoyable it was to shoot and made comments about it being a tackdriver.  This is very true.  If you don't hit where you are aiming it is not the gun's fault. It is truly one of the firearms that you can pass down to several generations before it is worn out.

• Like 2

Ruger Mk series. I had seven, and have 5 left, all bull barrels. A Mk I, II, and 3 Mk IIIs.

I use them to teach new shooters. If you can't learn to hit a target with them, you're hopeless.

I'm planning on replacing them with Mk IVs as I sell off the old ones.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, Boogieman said:

I bought this Ruger 22-45 in 1992.  I've lost track of how many people I've introduced to shooting with her.  It's the gun I taught my nephew to shoot with.  And he's now a SEAL.

2245.jpg

Came here to post this!

• Like 2

I only have one-- a Ruger SP101.  Both the hammer and the trigger are so hard to pull that it's not as much fun to shoot as I thought it would be.  I don't have strong hands, though.  

Ruger sent me the different spring that was stock for it in the past, before they started using stiffer ones.  I've just never gotten anyone to change it.  I don't shoot it much and will probably just leave it as it is.

• Like 2