Shotgun choice for a newbie?

PNWguy

If I had to start out as a newbie I would go with the Mossberg 500.

I am a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge man simply because I was given an older one by my father. Beautiful shotgun. I have since acquired various choke tubes and barrels in all sorts of configurations, so that's what I have.

• Like 1

I've been thinking more about this question ... and, I really just want to repeat that the Mossberg is the better choice for a shotgun noob, particularly one who wishes to get a good basic "tactical" model...the Mossberg has better functionality, the safety is better, and loading it is much easier and you won't get your thumb caught on the follower, etc.

As far as chokes go I hunt with improved or full.

For trap I use Full Trap or Extra Full Trap.

I have a Super Full Trap also but I seldom use it. The pattern is just too tight. I either miss or vaporize the target. No in between. 

Get a a good gun and buy chokes as needed. They are not that expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:34 AM, Pepiot said:

Not at all, the maverick 88 is a great shotgun. I prefer it over my mossberg 500, mainly due to the heavy trigger pull on the 500.

I bought the Mossberg 500 field/deer combo over the Maverick 88 because of the wood furniture and the location of the safety.  I like the safety location because it is easier to manipulate and see.  I paid $298 for the field/deer combo at Walmart.  It has the long field barrel with 3 choke tubes and the rifled slug barrel with rifle sights.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you’re going to leave it with a hunting style stock I like the 500’s sliding top mount safety  

If if you want a pistol grip the 870 has a better safety on the trigger guard. 

I own both 870 and a 500. They’re both solid guns that are essentially identical. 

The 88 is a good gun, but only has a single action bar (link between bolt and pump) I’ve heard of people bending/breaking them over the course of thousands of rounds. But it’s cheap and easy to fix. Plus at that point you’ve likely run more money through the gun than you have in it. 

Edit to add, it appears the new 88’s now have twin action bars, so they’re the cross bolt safety version of the 500.

Edited by AK_Stick
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, JJHNSN said:

I've been thinking more about this question ... and, I really just want to repeat that the Mossberg is the better choice for a shotgun noob, particularly one who wishes to get a good basic "tactical" model...the Mossberg has better functionality, the safety is better, and loading it is much easier and you won't get your thumb caught on the follower, etc.

I just picked up a Mossberg 500 with the youth stock for my middle daughter. Easy choice with the price, tang safety, etc. 

If money is the issue how about a Rock Island Armory shot gun 12 ga. Got mine from Classic Firearms.  2 bbls. with chokes for long bbl.  Marine chrome plated. and pistol grip all for $200.  Just a thought. 

In today's market, the only good current 870 is the police magnum. It's still built with quality parts and a high attention to detail. It it however just about double his budget. The below gun is a 2016 870P. I was under the impression they were NOS from the late 90's as the reviews seemed to suggest, but they were brand new. Your buddy can get into an Express model that is new for around that budget if he shops around. I have an Express model made by the current Remington, though it's a few years old. It's an ok gun, but the police model makes it look and feel like a turd.

Unless he could get a nice used 870P model, he should pass on Remington all together.

I don't know enough to speak about the Mossbergs, but I have handled some current 500's and 590's. I'd take one of those over a low end Express model Remington any day of the week.

Clipboard01gfhj.jpg.cc6f86d45bbbdc3e22b7b27e4b844495.jpg
Older wingmasters are nice too.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, Collim1 said:

Definite cool factor!  

But after handling and firing one in person.....meh. 

Most folks I know who have spent alot of time shooting 12 gauge shotguns would NOT want that fish-hook against their shoulder.  I sighted in a slug scope one time at the range.  Put about 50 shells through a gun with solid padding and still went home with a dark purple shoulder.  Can't imagine what that thing will do.

If he's only shooting trap once in awhile, the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will serve him well. If he get's into trap down the road he'll want something else, they kick like a mule.

If he's got some funds to play with a Remington 11-87 would go a long way, especially one set up for trap.

I have a trap addiction so my opinion is skewed. If he's got a cool $10 grand get a Kolar.