Got Woodchucks

DrB

Saw my first one behind the house the other morning.  Got to get the rifle out again.  I have other rifles but still like to use the 22 dad got me when I was a boy.  Nothing special just a Sears bolt action with a Tasco scope. Sighted in for CCI stingers now..  Was my job on the farm to go hunt them when young.  That rifle probably has a semi truck load of them racked up.  Not that great of a rifle but it has always worked and is part of me... Another year here we go..

Dave.

We had long-ago abandoned chicken coops by where we lived.  Each was about 1/4 mile long.  They were ankle-to-knee deep in long-dead chickens, bones,  every dead thing imaginable...  and chicken ****.  The nastiest, most diseased places imaginable.

And a gajillion rats.

I had a Sears single-shot bolt .22, and we would spend whole days walking up and down those infested shacks.

We loved those coops.

Being young boy with a 22 rifle and ammo at less than 50 cents a box. Woodchucks to shoot.. What more could you want.  Well except for the cute girl in your grade in school who lived down the road.

Dave

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Being young boy with a 22 rifle and ammo at less than 50 cents a box.

Then when we ran out,  we walked up the next hill to the hardware store,  walked in the store with our rifles (we were in elementary school), bought all the ammo your pockets could hold,  and went back to the coops.