Why do you reload?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you reload, primarily?

• Save money, shoot more
    • For precision, to develop the most accurate loads
    • To fill a specific need or desire for a purpose
    • Because it's fun

• 4 months later...

I started reloading with a handheld Lee press and a brass drop tube using black powder for BPCR competitions.  You had to.

Then I bought a 10mm and the "bear" loads I desired were around $1.50 a round and regular plinking ammo wasn't available locally all the time and was around $.50 a round.  So I took the plunge and bought a Lee single-stage press.  I rarely shoot more than once or twice a month, but when I do, I like to do accuracy testing of fairly expensive rounds such as 10mm, .450 Bushmaster, and .45 Colt.

So while I appreciate the awesomeness of a progressive press, I really don't need one.

So I checked three of the available options.  I save money, make accurate rounds tailored for my firearms, and I find it relaxing to sit and create ammo while listening to talk radio.

I had to roll my own 147gr for the Ruger 9mm rifle.  The factory stuff was still going supersonic in the long barrel.  3.5 grains of unique under the 147 was very quiet (with Ghost-M suppressor).  Just hear the bullet smack the backstop.  Very fun extension of the hobby indeed.

Edited by G19 DB

Cost savings is why I started years ago. Ammo was expensive and I was not making much money while going to college. Cost remained an issue during those times when I shot a lot on weekends.

Any more, I reload mainly so I can shoot really expensive/hard to find/or not made or imported ammo like .380/200 for the British Enfield and Webley Mk 4, .44 Russian to shoot in the .44 Special and .45 Auto Rim loaded to emulate my .455 Webley Mk. 6 load because the rear of the cylinder was ground down when imported to take .45 ACP which is dangerous to use and hard on the guns of that age.

You can load light, medium or heavy loads as long as you follow excepted practices and don't try to make a cartridge something it was never intended to be power wise.

• Like 2

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.